DX7s and Radian Pro - Crow, Camber and Reflex - How do I set up the Radio?

JohnC

Help!

I'm lost in that place where you set up mixing, but nothing seems to happen when you throw switches and move sticks.

I was impressed with this thread: DX7s-and-flaps-for-the-Bixler-2

in particular Crafty Dan's post re: powered glider,

But see my first sentence. I followed his set up, but 'LFL' never came up as an option, and . . . nothing.

---- I'm hoping someone has a Radian Pro and has successfully set up Crow, Camber and Reflex with a DX7s

Right now I'm going to start flying with:

System Setup:

Wing Type: Flaperon
Sw Select: Flap:Gear -- I assume this means that the Flaps are plugged into the Gear Channel of the Receiver?????
All other Sw are set to Inh -- I'm really confused as to what the Sw Select does
For example-Mix can be set to either Inh (inhibit) or Aux2, which is the knob on the radio,
or is it a Channel of the Receiver ????

Function List:

Servo

Reverse settings:
Throttle: Normal
Right Ail: Reverse
Elevator: Reverse
Rudder: Reverse
Gear: Normal
Left Ail: Reverse
Aux 2: Reverse

D/R and Expo - default
Differential - default
Throttle Cut - Inhibit
Flap System - Norm, 20% Flap, 0% Elev / Mid, 0% Flap, 0% Elev / Land -20% Flap, 0% Elev / Speed Norm, Sw Flap
Mixing - all mixes inhibited.

Aside from normal Aileron, Elevator, Rudder Movement, the three position Flap results in no motion in the 0 position, .5" down in the 1 position and 1" down in the 2 position.

But I'd really like to learn how to set up mixing and learn how to set up Crow, Camber and Reflex

John

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Unless you only have two servos in the wing, skip flaperon.

The mix I listed used the "2-aileron, 2-flap" wingtype. This will give you the LFL (left flap servo) and RFL (right flap servo)

JohnC

Thanks Craftydan

This is an extremely long email, but I wanted to leave it for others who google "Radian Pro DX7s Setup" so they won't go through 24 hours of frustration that I did.

While waiting for a reply from you, Horizons Hobby help line called me back and sent me this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radian Pro DX7s Setup

This document is a general explanation of my Radian Pro DX7s set up. This set up assumes that the customer is using the stock AR600 receiver and customer is starting with a blank model in the transmitter. If a screen is not mentioned in this setup, I did not make any adjustments to it. Customers can adjust travel and rates as they would like but this set up gives maximum potential travel. I also did not add any dual rates , expo or differential but the customer can add those functions to fit their flying style.

Receiver setup

Customer will have to remove the Y harness for the ailerons to get the correct movement. The Y harness for the flaps will stay in line. The channel assignments in the receiver are:

1) Throttle
2) Right Aileron
3) Elevator
4) Rudder
5) Flaps
6) Left Aileron

System Setup

Model Type

Customer will have to make sure that the model is in Airplane mode since there is no sailplane mode on this transmitter

Wing Type

The correct wing types for this plane are:

Wing: 2 Ail 1 Flp
Tail: Normal

Function list

Servo Setup

Travel for all channels will remain 100% unless customer wants less. The following is the servo reversing for this plane:

1) Throttle- Normal
2) Right Aileron- Reversed
3) Elevator- Reversed
4) Rudder- Reversed
5) Flap- Normal
6) Left Aileron- Reversed
7) Aux 2- Normal

Flap System

Setup in the Flap System menu is

Flap Elev

Norm: 50% -20%

Mid: 0% 0%

Land: -50% 20%

Speed: Norm Sw:Flap

This will give the customer reflex when the flap switch is in the 0 position, neutral wing in the 1 position and camber in the 2 position. This will affect only the flaps and elevator until we add some mixes mentioned later on.

Mixing

Mix 1

This mix will allow the plane to have camber and reflex that also includes the ailerons. Customer will have to flip the Gear switch to activate this and can choose camber or reflex through the Flap switch. The mix is:

FLP > LAL
Rate: 100%
100 %
Offset: 0%
Trim: Inh
SW: Gear 1

Mix 2

This mix will allow the plane to go into crow mode: Mix will be turned on by the Mix switch and can choose flap up or down crow but using the Flap switch. The mix is:

FLP>LAL
Rate: -100%
-100%
Sw: Mix 1

Mix 3

This mix allows the flaps to be adjustable when using the whole wing camber and reflex mix. It ties into the Gear switch and the adjustments are made with the Aux 2 knob. The mix is

Knb > Flp
Rate: 50%
50%
Switch: Gear 1

Mix 4

This mix allows the ailerons to be adjustable when using the whole wing camber and reflex mix. It ties into the Gear switch and the adjustments are made with the Aux 2 knob. The mix is

Knb > Lal
50%
Switch: Gear 1

Mix 5

This mix allows the flaps to be adjustable when using the crow mix. It ties into the Mix switch and the adjustments are made with the Aux 2 knob. The mix is

Knb > Flp
50%
Switch: Mix 1

Mix 6

This mix allows the ailerons to be adjustable when using the crow mix. It ties into the Mix switch and the adjustments are made with the Aux 2 knob. The mix is

Knb > Lal
Rate: -50%
-50%
Switch: Mix 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I'm new at this, I'm going to report on what goes on with the switch settings to provide me with a guide:

But first, I needed a refresher on what I am talking about - I got that here: RC Glider Wing Setups

Switch:
Starting point (what I think is normal, level flight)
Gear Mix Flap
0 0 0 Centered (where the DX7s beeps) Aileron lever only affects Ailerons - is quiet
NOTE: the flaps were slightly down - I had to adjust the flaps Sub Trim to +125 to get them aligned​

Reflex (speeds up flight, provides lift in inverted flight) Only Ailerons move for reflex
Gear Mix Flap Knb
1 0 0 affects the travel in this mode - full 1/2 turn clockwise zeros this out (almost)
full 1/2 turn counter clockwise maximizes it. A centered or clockwise knob is quiet, counterclockwise has servo noise.
When in Reflex, the Flap lever produces:
1 - produces only slight Reflex - Elevator drops slightly
2 - keeps Ailerons in slight Reflex, drops flaps slightly, increases Elevator drop
Camber / Crow - (provides braking)
Gear Mix Flap Knb
0 1 1->2 affects the both Flaps and Aileron travel in this mode - Knob adjusts amount

When in Mix 1 only (Gear 0), the Flap lever produces:
0- Camber Setting - slight Aileron drop, knob sets amount
1 - Flap/Aileron travel increases on clockwise knob turn - Elevator drops slightly.
2 - Flap/Aileron travel increases on clockwise knob turn more and full knob turn controls amount - Elevator drops more.
NOTE: knob turn is from full counterclockwise (minimized) to full clockwise (maximized)

Flaps - adjust (provides braking)
Gear Mix Flap Knb
1 1 0 affects the Flap travel in this mode - full 1/2 turn clockwise zeros this out and drops flaps slightly
full 1/2 turn counter clockwise does nothing (no flap travel) Clockwise knob turn sets Flaps.

When in Flap, the Flap lever produces:
1 - Flap travel increases on clockwise knob turn from center - Elevator drops slightly.
2 - Flap travel increases more and full knob turn controls amount - Elevator drops more.
----------------------------------------
When I get comfortable flying with Gear 0, Mix1 0 and Flaps 0, Knob 0 I think that I would start experimenting with

Camber: Gear 0, Mix 1 1, Knob controls camber: 0 (centered) to +90 cc increases camber 0 to -90 applies slight flap - no impact on elevator

I think I'll stay completely away from Reflex (This is my first electric with 'full house' mixing)

From Camber, I'll experiment with Crow to slow the plane down, and try to remember:
Gear 0, Mix 1, Flap 0 Aileron Camber -45 to 90
Gear 0, Mix 1, Flap 1 Aileron Camber to Crow by adjusting knob from 90 to -90
Gear 0, Mix 1, Flap 2 Flap Camber to Crow by adjusting knob from 90 to -90

I'll have to remember that going from Flap 0 to 1 to 2 increases down elevator - this is significant because the knob position will become an issue if I'm not cognizant of the knob setting, changing the Flap setting will have different effects.​

All in all - this is a bit of an overload for a beginner, but I hope the model survives the learning curve :)

John

PS - On reflection, looking for a very simple process to go through the settings in a safe manner:

Start in Level Flight - transition through Flap Camber to Landing with Crow

Gear 0 / Mix 0 / Flap 0 / knob +90. Level Flight
Gear 0 / Mix 0 / Flap 2 / knob +90. Flaps or 'Flap Camber'
----------------------- slow with lift - down elevator​
Gear 0 / Mix 1 / Flap 2 / knob +90 to -90. Landing with Crow
----------------------- starts: down elevator, increase Crow to Max - slow plane for landing​

(sigh, I need a mantra or I'll get confused and crash ! --- Zero All, Flap 2, then Mix 1, then rotate CCW

I'll wait for a calm day on a big flat field, and I'll reply to this with the results

Last edited: