Dynam P-47 vs E-Flite P-47 questions

Beavis

I loves me some P-47. I recently murdered my E-Flite P-47: Fuse snapped in half, one retract destroyed, broken rudder and elevator, wing not fairing very well either.

A couple of questions:

1. How are Dynam planes in general? I had a friend ask about a P-51 for his grandfather, and Dynam had the only one (30" mini) in the size he was looking for (24"-ish WS). When I was looking at options for him, their lineup also piqued my interest.

2. I have a wrecked P-47, and debated whether or not to repair. Dynam replacement parts are much cheaper, and I wondered if the parts from a 1.2m P-47 would swap over to another brand 1.2m - i.e., motor, retracts. Any frame of reference on this? If anything, I might consider getting the ARF/PNP Dynam P-47, and swapping over the rx/motor/esc from the E-flite (E-flite is 3s setup, Dynam is 4s).

3. The Dynam calls for a 2200 or 3000 4s battery. My E-Flite used 3s 2200's. Any problems with running the Dynam on 3s batteries? Both planes spec out at close to the same weight (1500g Dynam, 1570 E-Flite), so I can't imagine why there would be a crushing necessity to run 4s instead of 3s. But since I see a number of people running 4s in their E-Flites for more speed, maybe Dynam was getting ahead of the curve? The park I typically fly at gets eaten up quickly by a 1.2m warbird. I really don't need insane speed.

Thoughts/opinions welcome. Thanks!

Namactual

Elite member
I bought and flown both of the Dynam P-51's. The 1200mm and the 800mm.

The first one I bought was the 1200mm. I absolutely loved everything about it. From the way it built, to the way it flew. (y) The only issue was the larger paved landing area needed for the retracts. I use 2200mAh batteries with no issues. I had to move the battery as far forward as I could to get it to balance, but it did balance. Later I bought an aftermarket spinner and prop which helped with the nose weight. I never did try a 4s although I always wanted to. I hear people have ran 4s with no issues. I would not attempt to do so without an external BEC though. The servo load is quite high.

So, I bought the 800mm version to fly at the local park. Wow, what a POS that was. (n)If this had been my first Dynam kit I would have never bought another one no matter the price. It looked nice, but I had one servo DOA, then another die during pre-flight. Of course they are not the easiest things to change when buried in the fuselage either. After all of the time and effort to get it up in the air, it flew like a brick. I was completely intact when I decided to just get rid of it. I pulled the parts I could use and tossed the rest.

I have not tried the P-47 myself, but from what I read all of the Dynam 1200mm planes are pretty solid. That said, they are cheap for a reason. These companies have zero quality control. That goes for all of them though. You should hear my E-Flight/parkzone experiences. I want to kick myself everytime I buy anything from them. :cautious:

Edit: Here is my P-51...
DP51.jpg
Stock other than the spinner/prop and also added the radiator exhaust duct. I used a home depot organizer tray which just happend to be the same color yellow as the rest of the kit.

Last edited:

Beavis

Thanks, just what I was looking for. I've been reading reviews, and see the retracts as a common theme. I want another one, but want to make sure it's the right move. I would add flaps for sure. Are the flaps ready to cut and add servo's on your 1200 Mustang, or would it require extensive surgery? Mustang would be my second choice. I am going to build a razorback foamie with some designs from http://www.rcfbaircraft.com/, so maybe I need to keep a touch of diversity in my plane lineup.

Namactual

Elite member
Speaking of retracts I forgot to mention I did shim those to get a bit more of a rake on the mains.

Also, I used a bunch of different props and settled on the 12x8E apc. The 12x8 really has a lot of punch, but you also have to be careful of the extra torque on the ground. There is nothing wrong with the 3 blade it comes with, I just wanted a new spinner and a prop that was more common. I figured if it can handle 4s it should be able to hande a 12x8E on 3s. I do not hot dog this bird anyway.

The "Version 1" I have does have everything pre-cut for the flaps. All you have to do is notch out a few pieces of foam at the ends of the flaps which will allow them to pivot. The servo location has a foam plug that you pull out and you just glue in the servo. Very easy to do. It really does not need them though. Not with a 2200 3s anyway. It does not weigh much. Of course it could not hurt either

The new V2 comes with operational flaps as well as a few other minor changes. I am not sure which one you are looking at.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Beavis

P-47 arrived last week. I finally got a chance to put it together.

Not a bad plane, but there were some issues.

• An aileron clevis wasn't threaded right on the pushrod. It looks like the pushrod wasn't threaded properly. I adjusted the pushrod, then added a little glue to keep it from slipping.
  • The rudder servo was loose, and needed to be reglued. One of the aileron servos also needed a little glue.
  • I used the Spektrum receiver from my E-Flite. When I connected everything and tested, the elevator was reversed. I run a DXe, so switching to a variety of models is tougher. I tested an Emax 9g servo I had sitting around, and that servo rotated correctly to operate the elevator in the right direction. Detrum servo was removed, problem solved.
  • Flaps were already cut, connected, and wired. Nice touch.
  • I like the wing tip LED's.
  • Aesthetics were nice. The pilot is oversized, tho. Bolts were supposed to be super roomy, and this poor guy looks like he is in a torture device.
  • The retracts work fine, but the detail isn't close to the E-Flite.
Overall, it's pretty good, but lesser quality than the E-Flite. But then again, it didn't cost E-Flite money.

I'll post flight results when I get it outdoors.

Namactual

Elite member
That sucks.
I hope the maiden goes better than the first impression.
The P-47 is another one I would like to get at some point, but I am lucky to the the Mustang up in the air twice a year. I just do not have the room to land it where I fly unless I have the parking lot to myself and the wind is blowing in the right direction.

Looking forward to the maiden results.

Beavis

BTW... You mentioned that you replaced your prop and fly on 3S...

How many blades are on your new prop? My Eflite P-47 on 3s 2200 pulled plenty hard, with 4 blade prop. This one on 3s seemed lacking in the thrust department when I tested it. Really blah, almost to the point of worrying me about flight capability.

Beavis

Oops. I was scrolling up to go to another forum section, and looked at your pics again. 2 blade prop. Answered my question!

Namactual

Elite member
It looks like the P-47 and the P-51 have a different power setup.
P-51 Motor @ Amazon
P-47 Motor @ Amazon

The P-51 is a higher kv which is meant to run on 3s, but the most popular mod is cutting out the scale vents and running 4s.

The P-47 has a lower kv meant to run on 4s. I did not notice this until now. I knew something had to be different as the mustang feels like it wants to rip the tail off on 3s when I run it up on the ground.

You could always buy the P-51 motor and try that, or maybe try your E-Flight motor. You could possibly put a larger more aggressive prop on it, or cave and use a 4s.

It looks like the AUW is about 400grams heavier as well, but I bet the battery makes up a large chunk of that. 2200 3s vs 3000 4s.