E-Flite Advance 25e

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
OK, got the RX installed. It's the OrangeRx R910

7fd43e51.jpg

I glued some pushrod tube to the side of the fuse to route the antenna around the servos.

48fb8438.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
OK, I got the ESC and the velcro installed.

f3bceed3.jpg

One thing I've noticed so far is that the battery hatch is nice being right on top but it could be a little bigger...My 3s 4000 has to be wedged in there.

31addcbd.jpg

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I plugged in my watt meter to see the numbers and here they are. The manual states this is supposed to be a 4-4.5lb plane, so with the Turnigy G25 and an APC 12x8 I should be right around 100w/lb.

2280dc20.jpg

a5fc8c4c.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
It flew! I gotta say this is one sweet flying plane! It flies sooooo smooooooth and tracks straight as an arrow. Landings are a breeze. This plane makes low, fast passes with ease and looks great in the air too.

My first complaint is I wish I had used the .32 motor instead of the .25. It's pretty fast on the Turnigy G25 but this plane is so easy to fly I wish I had the extra ooomph of the .32.

My second complaint, and I'm not sure if I may just need to program the ESC, but I was only getting five or six minutes flight time. I'd start a flight with a fresh 3s 4000mah battery that was showing 4.16 volt per cell and after the timer on my TX went off and I landed the battery (both times) were already down to 3.8 volts per cell. This is with half to three quarters throttle mostly. I'm using that cheapo Birdy 40a ESC from HK. I'll see if there's any programming options for that ESC first. I noticed that it would take three clicks on my throttle stick before the motor would start to spin and then about three or four clicks before full throttle, it would already be at max throttle.

96fe8c87.jpg

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
How many mAh did you get into the battery when charging from 3,8 to 4,2 V? (/cell).
If you want another flight on the battery then try to get a high C nanotech to replace your 20C Lightmax.
If you have not already tried the difference you will be surprised. I think you will get the feeling of a much bigger motor when you get a lot more out from your battery. This is really noticably when it is a little colder outside.

If you say that you are flying 6 minutes then you will fly at 10C average - that is 40A average on your 4000 battery.
I dont think so......

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
Both the lack of power and the short flytime might suggest that you have wrong ESC-timing, have you checked that?

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Glad you like it!

I know that feeling when you put a whole lot of effort into a plane and it really flies the way you want it to!

Congrats for the maiden man!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
How many mAh did you get into the battery when charging from 3,8 to 4,2 V? (/cell).
If you want another flight on the battery then try to get a high C nanotech to replace your 20C Lightmax.
If you have not already tried the difference you will be surprised. I think you will get the feeling of a much bigger motor when you get a lot more out from your battery. This is really noticably when it is a little colder outside.

If you say that you are flying 6 minutes then you will fly at 10C average - that is 40A average on your 4000 battery.
I dont think so......

I just charged the battery and to get from 3.8v back to full at 4.2v it put 1894mah back into the battery. I don't understand your last sentence. I timed my flight and flew for six minutes with a fully charged lipo, I landed and only had 3.8v/cell left in the battery.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Both the lack of power and the short flytime might suggest that you have wrong ESC-timing, have you checked that?
The timing is set to low, the manual says "1º - For 2-4 Pole Inrunner Motors". The G25 motor is supposed to have 3 poles from what I've read but is obviously an outrunner, not an inrunner.

There's also a setting on the ESC for Pulse Width Modulation and these are my options:

– For low RPM and low pole count motor (default)
– For most out runner motor

I'm thinking the default option should be the correct one since this is only a 3-pole motor and 870kv.

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I flew it again today and same thing even after the ESC adjustments. I put 2200 mah back into my 4000 mah lipo after a five minute timed flight. 4.2 start voltage and 3.8 end voltage. The strange thing was that I tried a 3s 5000mah lipo and it was the exact same thing...start voltage 4.16, end voltage 3.8?!?!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I flew it again today and same thing even after the ESC adjustments. I put 2200 mah back into my 4000 mah lipo after a five minute timed flight. 4.2 start voltage and 3.8 end voltage. The strange thing was that I tried a 3s 5000mah lipo and it was the exact same thing...start voltage 4.16, end voltage 3.8?!?!

Is the esc shutting of the motor at 3.8 volts?
What is your air temperature when you are flying?

I am just charging my batteries from yesterday.
I got about 10 elevations (about 45 degrees up to 600 ft) with my nanotech pulling about 75% of the total energy from the battery. Then i tried with a Hextronic D9 battery and could not even get the motor to pull more than 5 seconds att full speed. I assume that we had about the same temperature. If i had the Hextronic in the summer it would have given me a lot more.

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Is the esc shutting of the motor at 3.8 volts?
What is your air temperature when you are flying?
No, the ESC is not shutting off the motor at 3.8v. After doing some research I guess I can safely take the lipo down to 3.2v per cell and it will befine. For whatever reason I was thinking low voltage for the lipo was 3.7v. If I go down to 3.2v, I'll probably get a total of 10 minute flight time.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Alright, starting to think I need a little more headroom in my ESC. I'm using that "50amp" birdie, which is actually only rated at 40amp w/50amp burst. Static testing showed at full throttle I was doing 38 amp. Here's how today's flights went:

Flight 1) I set the TX timer to six minutes for the first flight and when the 10 second chime started I landed...no problems and had 3.7v in my 3700mah Rhino lipo.

Flight 2) I set the timer for seven minutes and used a 4000mah, the flight was fine until right before the 10 second timer beeped. It's like it locked out. I was in a turn and luckily with a nose high attitude and inputs wouldn't respond. I immediately backed off the throttle and about two seconds later regained control. The motor was acting like the battery was low as I was on the landing approach. I then landed, checked the voltage and the 4000mah was only at 3.7v after the seven minute flight. The ESC was pretty warm though and I think it may have glitched or something from overheating...I kept the throttle set to about 60% on both flights and never even went to full throttle.

I may try one of the Dynam 60a ESCs I have lying around here and see how it behaves.

Last edited: