E-Flite Advance 25e

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
You will "normally" have a few options to chose for low battery:
"Normally" - depends on what brand and model of esc you are using.

Select voltage for cut off : high medium low (3,3 3,15 or 3,0 volt per cell)

Select type of cutoff : soft or hard.

Soft will gradually reduce power during several seconds.
Hard will cut off totally.

With hard cutoff you shall pull back your thottle stick two seconds and then slowly advance.

The battery voltage will drop but as soon as you stop to draw current the voltage will rise several 10ths of a volt again. That is why might see as much as 3,5 volts or more when checking the battery when it cut of at 3,0 V per cell before landing.

Worst case is if you have a floater and are flying close to gliding av about 25% throttle, then you will hardly recognise when the esc is warning for low voltage.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
You will "normally" have a few options to chose for low battery:
"Normally" - depends on what brand and model of esc you are using.

Select voltage for cut off : high medium low (3,3 3,15 or 3,0 volt per cell)

Select type of cutoff : soft or hard.

Soft will gradually reduce power during several seconds.
Hard will cut off totally.

With hard cutoff you shall pull back your thottle stick two seconds and then slowly advance.

The battery voltage will drop but as soon as you stop to draw current the voltage will rise several 10ths of a volt again. That is why might see as much as 3,5 volts or more when checking the battery when it cut of at 3,0 V per cell before landing.

Worst case is if you have a floater and are flying close to gliding av about 25% throttle, then you will hardly recognise when the esc is warning for low voltage.
I landed the first time though, after six minutes and still had 3.7v on the battery with no hiccups. I have the ESC set to soft cutoff.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Well, all seems good now! I swapped out the Birdie 40a ESC for the 60a Dynam ESC...which seems to be exactly the same as the Turnigy Plush ESCs except $10 cheaper. The Dynam even programs with my Turnigy programming card. The Birdie ESC had a horrible throttle range and no way to change it according to the instructions. The Dynam ESC requires you to set the throttle range on the first connection or the motor won't spin. It even spins at a higher RPM now that the throttle range is correct.

It also seems to be using less battery also. After a static test of 60% throttle for seven minutes my 3700mah lipo was still at 3.8v/cell.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Advance 25e part II

Well...it was still doing the brown-out thing. If you remember from my earlier post:

bicyclemonkey said:
Flight 2) I set the timer for seven minutes and used a 4000mah, the flight was fine until right before the 10 second timer beeped. It's like it locked out. I was in a turn and luckily with a nose high attitude and inputs wouldn't respond. I immediately backed off the throttle and about two seconds later regained control. The motor was acting like the battery was low as I was on the landing approach. I then landed, checked the voltage and the 4000mah was only at 3.7v after the seven minute flight. The ESC was pretty warm though and I think it may have glitched or something from overheating...I kept the throttle set to about 60% on both flights and never even went to full throttle.

It was still doing the brown-out/lockout thing. My next flight after swapping the ESC it did this again but this time it was pointed nose down and I didn't regain control in time and it went nose first into the ground!

47fb067d.jpg

Of the electronis, only the rudder/nose wheel servo was the only casualty. When it flew, it flew so nice I went ahead and bought a replacement airframe. Luckily I did when I did b/c Horizon raised the price from $99 to $139!

I suspected the OrangeRx R910 rx so I got an RMA with HK and sent it off. This time I'm saying "bye-bye" to Spektrum and going FrSky.

0b064b39.jpg

The spare parts were so cheap, though I went ahead and bought a replacement fuselage and tail set so that I may some day build another with a power .32 equivalent instead of the .25 I've got in this one.

FlyKVegas

I know I'm pretty late to the game but I'm glad I found this thread. I just purchased an Advance. It's been discontinued but I like the looks. Was thinking about the Ultra Stick but a few guys at my field have those so wanted something a little different. I've ordered the 32 motor and Trust 60A ESC from Hobby King so hope I don't have the battery life problems you initially had. I'm still kind of new to this so a lot of the talk about poles and ESC programming is over my head! Main question I have is how you mount your Rx? Is it on a piece of velcro or what?