E-Flite Apprentice S15e or ParkZone T-28 Trojan?

silbo99

Hey everyone,

I am Silvester, I'm 15 years old and I live in the Netherlands. I recently ( about 2 months ago) bought a HobbyZone Super Cub S RTF, and I have become addicted to flying it since then. I fly as much as I can, but there is a lot of windy, wet and cold weather (It's winter), so it's not always possible.
Although I really like the HZ Super Cub, I am (already) kind of getting tired of it. I want some bigger and faster stuff :p. To get into Scratch Building, I am going to build the FT Flyer next week, which I can then upgrade to the FT Delta.

I was planning to buy the E-Flite Apprentice S 15e BNF after I have mastered the FT Delta, but it might be a kind of a waste of money, for it might not be a very big challenge to learn to fly it. I was also planning to build the F-22 Raptor after that, after which I would buy the ParkZone T-28 Trojan, then the FT Viggen & the FT Cruiser, but I soon realised that would be a little expensive XD.

My ultimate goal in RC flying is to build & fly the FT Viggen and the FT Cruiser (with FPV). But I don't think I should build the FT Viggen already, for it might be too difficult to fly. So do you recommend buying the E-Flite Apprentice S 15e or the ParkZone T-28 Trojan (or the F-22 Raptor) after I have mastered the FT Delta?
Or do you think I can already fly the FT Viggen (probably not)?

P.S. Parts & Electronics are no problem, as HobbyKing opened a warehouse in the Netherlands
P.P.S. Foamboard is kind of expensive though
P.P.P.S. Size is no problem at all, as I usually fly at a field of approximately 250 - 300 metres.
P.P.P.P.S. Maybe FliteTest could do a video on good second (and third) RC planes?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Actually the Viggen is quite friendly.

It won't roll stabilize, so learning to keep your wings level is something you'll still need to learn to fly it well, but otherwise it has a WIDE speed envelope, a predictable stall and the separate nose does a good job of isolating the impact damage to an easily replaced part -- if you go with the slow-fly option you should be able to pick up the Bank-n-yank control in it as easily as any other airframe, then eventually build another with the 70mm EDF to rocket down the field.

It is a harder build, however. Take your time, understand each step in the build before you do it, and dry-fit where you can. Cut out an extra nose or two while you're at it. Otherwise, you should do just fine :)

silbo99

Thanks for helping me! I think I will first buy the T-28 Trojan, to get used to banking and yanking, and then I will build the FT Viggen EDF version.

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

If you get into build your own check out Beyond the Wheel RC website. He has some great plans there. He just designed T-28 also. There is a joy to building and flying your own build. I would definitely star with FT plans first as soon as they bring Their Foam Board to Europe. Enjoy! Also Flying Penguin has some very cool designs.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The Apprentice is very much same type of plane as your CUB-S.
The T-28 will be more fun.
And try the HK Skipper! Do a range check before you fly as the Skipper do not contain any receiver.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I am building all my FT flanes from 6 mm depron covered with transparent packing tape on the outside.
Depron is easy to get from germany at a reasonable price.