E-flite P-51 mustang

BulletCase0514

I recently got a eflite p-51 mustang with 44 inch wingspan and was if anyone had some good tips for flying and landing this beautiful airplane. I have a couple years of flying 3 and 4 channel airplanes and flying simulators but thought it might be a good idea to get some tips from people with more experience than me. Anyways if you have tips for me it would be appreciated. Thanks

I too have the E-Flite P-51 Mustang and it flies BEAUTIFULLY. If you haven't flown it yet, don't be intimidated, it handles great and is super stable, especially with the AS3X. Just follow the manual for setup and make sure everything functions correctly then just fly it like any other plane. Take off at around 1/2 throttle (NOT FULL) and I don't use any flaps for take off (you can, but I don't). Be aware that there is P-factor on it because of the design so some rudder is required on take off. It is OK if you need to abort your first take off because of the unexpected P-factor, I did. Once the tail wheel goes up just keep it straight and pull back. On landing, practice with plenty of space and be prepared to overshoot your first couple of times. Once the mains touch just bring the elevator all the way back and power off. I know what I just said sounds kind of frightening, it really isn't. Don't overthink it and use your skills and experiences. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sky Pirate

BulletCase0514

Thanks for the tips. I have had a chance to fly it since I created the post. But I do have a question on landing have you noticed a tendency to veer to the right?

I'm sure it has something to do with the P-factor, and I have definitely noticed it on take-off, but I haven't noticed much of that tendency during landing. I will keep an eye open for it next time I go flying.

OK, so I went out flying the other day and I did notice a tendency to veer to the right on landings. It was easily corrected with some rudder input. I'm sure that with time it will become more natural for both of us, but as of right now that tendency is there. How is yours doing?

Sky Pirate

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
did trim it under throttle? If it had a little torque roll under throttle and you trimmed for it it will turn a little right when the throttle is brought down.

No trimming needed on this marvelous bird. The drifting isn't a major issue, just a few degrees and is only evident at approach speeds. It would be possible to setup a "landing rates" setting that would counteract it but I don't think it is worth it. Thanks for the input though!

Sky Pirate

BulletCase0514

OK, so I went out flying the other day and I did notice a tendency to veer to the right on landings. It was easily corrected with some rudder input. I'm sure that with time it will become more natural for both of us, but as of right now that tendency is there. How is yours doing?

Sky Pirate

Mine has been flying great as expected. still getting use to holding the elevator down once the wheels are on the ground