Solved E-Flite Park 480 on the FT Corsair?

Aero_Knight

So I have been scratch building the FT Mini Corsair (FTMC) in my free time and had left over components from my now buried balsa T-6. I was curious as to if anybody had experience or may have a better feel for whether I would be able to run the airframe with an (E-Flite Park 480 1020Kv) and a PZ 3-blade 9x7.5. I think I can pull 2.5lbs ish from the prop but that is running at max which the motor should have no problem with for a few seconds at a time. I used to run a wooden 10x7 and a 4S LiPo with that motor in the T-6 with no issues but that setup would be too heavy for the FTMC. Also not the most responsible thing running it with the 4S, the torque was no joke either. Thoughts?

Aero_Knight

That is WAY too much motor for a mini corsair. I have a little emaxx 2204 in mine and she screams on 4s. I usually only fly her on 3s and she is plenty fast there as well.

Thanks, I do have a smaller folding prop that I can try using but I don't remember the actual size. For giggles I might hand test the OP setup anyway and see how it handles. I should be able to tell from holding it while throttling through if it will be uncontrollable, tear itself apart or not. I am trying to hold off getting a new motor as I want to save up for a set of high thrust EDF kits for my VF-1 project.

jaredstrees

well, the corsair is usually tail heavy, so that motor will help, but she's going to be a heavy mini! Have fun, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Aero_Knight

So as an update, I am almost done with the hot glue phase of the build and I am realizing...it is a lot smaller than I understood it to be LOL. So ya I am definitely going to have to find that smaller prop. The 3 blade might look absolutely ridiculous when it comes in hopefully today. Ill post pictures when it does.

Aero_Knight

This thing is going to either explode from the torque or hit mach 1, LOL. I also found out that my ESC does not have the XT-30 connectors I need to use the new batteries...sooooo...might do something not responsible just for experimentation sake. If this goes up in flames I am ok with it since I am not 100% happy with the quality of the foam board and it was my first FT build.
FT Corsair Prop.jpg

Aero_Knight

Update for "Shadow-Grass" what I have dubbed this FT Corsair:

-No flights this weekend as I am missing parts I ordered.
-Waiting for XT-30 connector to upgrade my old ESC to accept new batteries
-Waiting for push rods and control horns to come in to actually finish the plane
-Finished upgrading my transmitter to the 2.4GHz.
-I tested the servos I had left from the T-6 and the elevator servo just wants to keep spinning in the direction I input. May have to replace with one from the Power Pack F I ordered if I can't fix it.
-Servo leads are too short to pass through wing so this guy will have external wiring for the time being.

Aero_Knight

I am soooo impatient to get this bird flying...parts might not get here until next Thursday though LOL. It hurts soooo much!!

Aero_Knight

A good (more responsible) build for a fast mini plane would be the mini mustang with the f-pack motor and a 5x3x3 blade prop on it.

I really just want to see if I can push the limits but my next build is definitely going to be on the more "responsible" side...maybe LOL. I planned on doing an F-117 custom push prop design since I have lots of black foam board. Figured it would be fun to do. Now my challenge project, however, I wouldn't call making an actuating VF-1 "responsible".

Aero_Knight

Quick little preview of the ShadowGrass maiden flight! She needed less elevator throw for sure and expo on the ailerons but I had ok control for it having flown in almost a decade. Flew at 50% throttle for most of the flight and that was stupid fast. I went 100% at the end of the flight to push the limits (not in the preview) and for the 10 seconds I had control it was amazing. I think an aileron servo stuck (which was giving me issues before the flight), led to a spin and nose dive at full speed into the ground. I’ll post more aftermath pics and the full video when I get back home Sunday night but I will call this a successful experiment!

Aero_Knight

Just finished the repairs...thrust line is a little off but I think it’s worth another go. Found out that my left aileron linkage got loose and jammed it in the up position which led to the uncontrolled spin to Earth. Going for return to flight after some farm work LoL. I attached some aftermath pics, I’ll post some after repair and flight results later. The design of this wing btw is incredible. Not damaged in the slightest.

E9A4C7EF-CF57-4A81-A4AB-D75550ED87E2.jpeg 3D95532A-8659-4541-8758-5FC0D6D26A71.jpeg