E-Flite UMX MiG-15

earthsciteach

Nice! I am a fan of the Mig-15. Never have flown an eflite, though. Congrats on your maiden and a great looking edf!

Fishbonez

Just noticed that this thread kinda died so I thought a revive it a bit I bought this little mig a month or so and love this little plane the AS3X is amazing and I have a blast flying it. In fact here is a maiden of the plane it was kinda hard to keep on camera because I was not used to flying such a small plane and I was unsure what 2 or 3 mistakes high was for such a small plane.

Also was wondering if anyone here knows how to adjust the front nose wheel to put it in line with the rudder. Mine is off to the right some. I tried bending the wheel a bit but ended up breaking it so if you all have some ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

tramsgar

It's a wonderful model, I got mine about a year ago and it's been my go-to lunch break model ever since (when not in need of repairs...). It's agile, fun, has a great colour scheme for orientation and an amazing sound. It can be flown even in small fields if care and some skill is applied.

It's only actual downside is the foam, which is ultra fragile. Luckily, most of the time it will survive bad landings unless it "lands" with power applied. The nose will be the first to cave in, but hot water and tape can repair it several times. Least serviceable part is the tail section, mine is totally shot now and should have been reinforced from the beginning.

I think it's still on sale, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

tramsgar

Also was wondering if anyone here knows how to adjust the front nose wheel to put it in line with the rudder. Mine is off to the right some. I tried bending the wheel a bit but ended up breaking it so if you all have some ideas would be appreciated.

From what I've learnt on the RC Groups thread, bending it IS the way to do it, but without the breaking. I managed to adjust mine quite a bit but had to use two pliers and bend just a little many many times. I've not flown it with wheels, though, only grass everywhere here. Tarmac is expensive in Far, far away.

Fishbonez

For those who are concerned about the nose of the plane I use this little gem here
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=658
Did not effect the CG or anything and has been a good cheap investment and you hardly notice it is there. Ihave also made some servo covers to protect them as well and caused very minimal drag. As far as the tail I hav not found anything that could help with that but maybe some toothpicks could stiffen it up a bit but I have had no problems as of yet with that

tramsgar

I've seen people make nose cones out of PET bottles but they complained that they didn't work so well (the fuse caved in further back instead). But I'll try that anyway with the next replacement. Spares are so expensive... I've never hurt the wing tips actually. The tail could be reinforced by a making a sandwich with a clear plastic sheet. That should affect CG though. I glued thin CF spars along the stabilizer and elevators but that had to be matched with heavier batteries. I guess the best solution overall is to fly better =).

Fishbonez

The Nice part of the parkflyer plastcs is it is a perfect fit, comes to about the number on the plane and you can still have your guns etc mounted all you have to do is cut out the center for the air intake and your done. I am sure others can make them as well for very cheap, it is pretty much a soda bottle plastic, but if you are limited on building skills and you want a perfect fit this is a nice easy feature

tramsgar

Whenever I can afford a replacement fuse I'll run thin carbon spars along the inside, that combined with a nose cover should do the trick.

I see it's still on sale for $80 in the US, so anyone who doesn't have this cute little rocket should disregard all crash/repair talk here and just get one, they're awesome!

Fishbonez

Agreed at that price who can say no. Obviously they will not be carrying it much longer and I dont think they will be dropping the price any further