E-Flite UMX Timber 2S 500mah

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin

IMG_9085.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I love mine! Just got it last week. First ARF I've bought new since a Duet about 3 years ago.

Maiden flights on Saturday. Very happy with how it handles on a 2s300mah - even does OK with mild winds. I didn't push too much on acrobatics, but it slows down great and climbs and spins just fine.

Very happy with landing gear performance on our rough grass field. Usually I need 2.75" or 3" wheels, but this is so light that the balloon tires work great!

I haven't put on the leading edge slats yet - want to find a way to make them removable rather than a permanent glue in attachment.

The only thing I hate is the box it comes in is way too big to hide.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
The only thing I hate is the box it comes in is way too big to hide.
Does the Mrs recognize a new box in the house? I get busted not by the boxes (unless they get delivered with her present) but by the bank statements. I don't buy that much though so no biggy. You guys on the other hand... I think I've expressed the possibility of having a mini flite fest at your house and you having enough planes to supply everyone that showed.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Does the Mrs recognize a new box in the house? I get busted not by the boxes (unless they get delivered with her present) but by the bank statements. I don't buy that much though so no biggy. You guys on the other hand... I think I've expressed the possibility of having a mini flite fest at your house and you having enough planes to supply everyone that showed.

Yeah, the Mrs noticed the box :(

Usually I buy kits or swap meet restoration projects so there aren't very many ARF boxes in the house. Most of my planes are hanging by the prop in the garage, or hiding at the top of a closet. So this big box in the utility room stood out. Oops :confused:

Brett_N

FYI (I know this is an old thread)

the UMX timber will fly just fine on a 2S even up to 1250mAh (zippy compact)

I routinely fly mine with a 2S 750 and an additional 1S 250 powering my FPV camera. Flies fine even with safe turned off. Lots of fun and LOOOONG flight times (up around 18 minutes on a 1250)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Where the heck do you put a battery that big? I've got some room to spare using 2s300mah but a 750? Good grief! :p

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I bought one for my dad, got a chance to fly it back in...March, I think it was? It's a fun little flier! Flaps make it slow right down, and the plane just wants to float.

After watching the Horizon Hobby guys fly it indoors at the AMA Expo West, my dad was drooling for one, and it really is a great little plane. Doesn't handle wind too well (we get pretty breezy in the afternoons here) but early morning? It's a fun little plane!!

donalson

I've been considering about this plane for a while... I'd forgotten I have a handful of 500mah 2s lipos... and I have a dozen or more 1400mah 2s... reading that someone is stuffing 1250s in this thing I wonder if those 1400s would fit... I'm going to talk to my local shop and see if they'll do a trade of sorts... I don't care about this GPS sportsman S+ that I have... but that UMX timber sounds so fun lol...

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I've been considering about this plane for a while... I'd forgotten I have a handful of 500mah 2s lipos... and I have a dozen or more 1400mah 2s... reading that someone is stuffing 1250s in this thing I wonder if those 1400s would fit... I'm going to talk to my local shop and see if they'll do a trade of sorts... I don't care about this GPS sportsman S+ that I have... but that UMX timber sounds so fun lol...

I absolutely love mine. Its one plane I can manage to fly all winter (lands nicely on snow with floats!)

I have glued a balsa insert that keeps the battery off the board (so it goes over the top) and I've had no trouble using dozens of battery sizes. The largest 2s I have is 1,000 mah and it works great. see no reason why larger wouldn't work as long as its skinny and you keep it off of the servos!

Only things I've had to do to mine are add real hinges to the rudder, a metal prop adapter, a balsa tray that goes over the receiver board to run larger batteries (I like flying more than 2 min), and switch from wheels to floats to land in the snow for my long winters here. (although, I'm not sure I'll ever go back to the wheels as it flies so slow that I can land it in short grass easier with floats than wheels and that elimintates the need for the metal prop adapter and hinges on the rudder {tail wheel is what separates rudder's tape hinge on 3 point landings}

Last edited: