Help! E-MAX RS 2205 2300 Kv motor from a Flite-Test Arrow Value Pack is clogging, what is the problem?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
5 pages and no one thought to check that the number of poles match between the motor and esc? Cogging is a typical symptom of mismatched pole counts. Which is why quad motors explode esc's when people cookie cutter other "Pro pilot" settings....

5 pages and no one thought to check that the number of poles match between the motor and esc? Cogging is a typical symptom of mismatched pole counts. Which is why quad motors explode esc's when people cookie cutter other "Pro pilot" settings....

Oh, how do I check the number of poles?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh, how do I check the number of poles?

Its all done either thru a programming card, with the radio using the beep codes and stick movements (ROYAL PITA) or using BL heli suit to set or change settings and reflash the firmware. Think people used to use an FTDI to program them as well but thats major old school. Doubt there are any esc's living using that tech hehe.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
sounds a little out there for two brand new motors and esc's
Do you have access to another receiver, or do you know someone that has more experience with R/C planes?

After discovering too long screws and getting a replacement power pack from Flite Test, I think it is likely a simple problem that comes from either a faulty receiver, or first time configuration of motor/ESC/receiver.

CappyAmeric

Elite member

You got this from Flite Test, not Banggood or Aliexpress. They send everything plug in ready.

Even though you should always check and center servos, I have never received a servo that wasn’t centered, and I have never received an ESC from Flite Test that wasn’t matched for their motors - and now they have sent you two ESCs and two motors that appear to do the same thing on your end. It‘s most likely something else. Either call Flite Test, or go to their YouTube and search for receiver and motor setup.

Do you have access to another receiver, or do you know someone that has more experience with R/C planes?

After discovering too long screws and getting a replacement power pack from Flite Test, I think it is likely a simple problem that comes from either a faulty receiver, or first time configuration of motor/ESC/receiver.

Do you have access to another receiver - I don’t have any other receivers since I’m new to the hobby and I only buy one of each electronic.

Do you know someone that has more experience with R/C planes - I wish I did :(

After discovering too long screws and getting a replacement power pack from Flite Test, I think it is likely a simple problem that comes from either a faulty receiver, or first time configuration of motor/ESC/receiver - So should I buy another receiver?

You got this from Flite Test, not Banggood or Aliexpress. They send everything plug in ready.

Even though you should always check and center servos, I have never received a servo that wasn’t centered, and I have never received an ESC from Flite Test that wasn’t matched for their motors - and now they have sent you two ESCs and two motors that appear to do the same thing on your end. It‘s most likely something else. Either call Flite Test, or go to their YouTube and search for receiver and motor setup.

You got this from Flite Test, not Banggood or Aliexpress. They send everything plug in ready. - I got the both motors and esc’s replaced by Flite Test.

Even though you should always check and center servos, I have never received a servo that wasn’t centered, and I have never received an ESC from Flite Test that wasn’t matched for their motors - and now they have sent you two ESCs and two motors that appear to do the same thing on your end. It‘s most likely something else. Either call Flite Test, or go to their YouTube and search for receiver and motor setup. - Ok, I’ll go check their YouTube channel now. If that doesn’t work, I’ll call them.

Bifi.baarlo

Do you have access to another receiver - I don’t have any other receivers since I’m new to the hobby and I only buy one of each electronic.

Do you know someone that has more experience with R/C planes - I wish I did :(

After discovering too long screws and getting a replacement power pack from Flite Test, I think it is likely a simple problem that comes from either a faulty receiver, or first time configuration of motor/ESC/receiver - So should I buy another receiver?
Maybe a idea if you connect a servo to the throttle channel, the servo should move with the movemend of your throttlestick, if so, than your receiver is not faulty, did you measure the 5 Volt circuit like I told you?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Not really when FT designed the motor but use a generic esc. If the esc maker determines most common motor used with this esc is a 12 pole and FT motors are say 14 pole then guess what. The default programming and motor don't match. This exact thing happened with betaflight and quad motors. People were having trouble tuning or over heating motors. I noticed that the default pole count was different and started making sure at build the pole counts matched.

But hey if you guys don't wanna take the few seconds to check and make sure (which btw you can also check motor timings while you are in looking at things which is another thing that contributes to cogging) rock on. I'm just passing on knowledge. If you choose to use it or not I really don't care my stuff flys without issues. Its not like electronics with programmable things haven't got released in the wild with unannounced changes or even mistakes programed in.... right?

Bifi.baarlo

Not really when FT designed the motor but use a generic esc. If the esc maker determines most common motor used with this esc is a 12 pole and FT motors are say 14 pole then guess what. The default programming and motor don't match. This exact thing happened with betaflight and quad motors. People were having trouble tuning or over heating motors. I noticed that the default pole count was different and started making sure at build the pole counts matched.

But hey if you guys don't wanna take the few seconds to check and make sure (which btw you can also check motor timings while you are in looking at things which is another thing that contributes to cogging) rock on. I'm just passing on knowledge. If you choose to use it or not I really don't care my stuff flys without issues. Its not like electronics with programmable things haven't got released in the wild with unannounced changes or even mistakes programed in.... right?
He has another problem, Yesterday his receiver didn't work at all, probably something wrong with the 5 Volt circuit, his Lipo had low voltage after charging, after that he overcharged it to 13 Volt, maybe the lipo is the problem now, the motor should spin even without programming.

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Not really when FT designed the motor but use a generic esc. If the esc maker determines most common motor used with this esc is a 12 pole and FT motors are say 14 pole then guess what. The default programming and motor don't match. This exact thing happened with betaflight and quad motors.

Outside of BetaFlight for quads, and other than occasional calibratingI haven't had to program a ESC for years. All his parts came straight from Flite Test. These are not generic ESCs and motors or purchased separately.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Outside of BetaFlight for quads, and other than occasional calibratingI haven't had to program a ESC for years. All his parts came straight from Flite Test. These are not generic ESCs and motors or purchased separately.

Lucky you...Programming can be a PITA.

I passed reading comprehension SEVERAL times in my years... I get that they were bought thru FT. By generic esc's I mean the Emax esc's they use do NOT come with a special FT flash on them. Having been here less then a year there is a TON of information you have missed so Ill fill you in. When the Radial motors first came out there WAS an issue similar or just like the one in this thread. The original esc's did not match the motor type and they had to change the esc's in some way to match. It is possible what the OP has is an OG setup that may have been missed or recirculated some how.

Anything else in your vast experience you wish to discuss?

Maybe a idea if you connect a servo to the throttle channel, the servo should move with the movemend of your throttlestick, if so, than your receiver is not faulty, did you measure the 5 Volt circuit like I told you?

Maybe a idea if you connect a servo to the throttle channel, the servo should move with the movemend of your throttlestick, if so, than your receiver is not faulty - I did that, and the flaps moved smoothly. So, I determined that the receiver is not faulty, and the battery is also not faulty.