earthsciteach's STOL Build for the "Contest"

earthsciteach

It will have to be very short grass. I do most of my flying in a small field behind my house, but the grass is way to long for this plane. There are a couple of paved roads that I use for runways, but there are trees along them. My Super Cub is no problem, but I am not comfortable flying this off of the pavement. My plan is to get together with a couple of flying friends next week and maiden it at a park near the school where I teach.

Here's my backyard flying field:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-15 at 12.31.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-15 at 12.31.11 AM.png
    532.9 KB · Views: 243

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
That plane would just be sad to launch by hand. And it would get scraped up if your grass is rough (like here).

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ok, so is the field a part of the cemetery? Are you slowly going to loose flying ground to the dead?

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Yes, it is part of the cemetery. But this is an old cemetery and there is still a lot of room before the open field is developed. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

earthsciteach

The backyard neighbors are very quiet. Haven't had any issues, yet. I am prepared for the zombie apocalypse, just in case.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Prepared? Your dogs are able to bust through your fence with their heads. As if that would even slow a horde of hungry undead.

earthsciteach

The dogs are the first line of defense. They are trained zombie killers who will break the perimeter to meet the horde head on. But, I did just return from Home Depot with a stack of lumber for a fence rebuild. My picket fence is 4' high. Its not enough to stop the zombies, but provides an adequate obstacle so that I can sit on my roof and pick them off with my custom made 0.22-250.
A series of smaller fences devastated Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. We all know how that ended.

Liemavick

Mentor
Teach whats the second line of defense? Your dogs look smart enough to haul ass when the Zombies march. You may want to start of the quad gun rig lol

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
And what exactly did these "trained" dogs get trained on, considering I highly doubt that you have any zombies at your disposal for dog education.

earthsciteach

Not much to see, but I've applied the first layers of fiberglass cloth to the cowling form. I sealed the foam with two coats of Minwax Polycrylic and sanded with 500 grit paper. I spread a thin layer of vaseline over the form as a release agent. I'll have to wait and see how that works out.

I applied about 4 layers of glass, alternating the warp and weft threads by about 45 degrees with each application. I was hoping to do this in a single shot, but its starting to bunch up, so I'm going to let this dry, sand and put on another couple of layers. I'm using Minwax polycrylic as the resin. I had success with it when I glassed my fpv wing (http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?2368-fpv-flying-wing-build-log&highlight=fpv+wing), but I'm not sure how rigid it will be once cured. I may have to end up investing in epoxy resin ($$$).

Attachments

• DSCF8164.JPG
    DSCF8164.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

earthsciteach

The owl is a little creepy with those big, ever watching eyes. I took the cowling outside to dry in the sun. Its darn near dry already.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Not much to see, but I've applied the first layers of fiberglass cloth to the cowling form. I sealed the foam with two coats of Minwax Polycrylic and sanded with 500 grit paper. I spread a thin layer of vaseline over the form as a release agent. I'll have to wait and see how that works out.

I applied about 4 layers of glass, alternating the warp and weft threads by about 45 degrees with each application. I was hoping to do this in a single shot, but its starting to bunch up, so I'm going to let this dry, sand and put on another couple of layers. I'm using Minwax polycrylic as the resin. I had success with it when I glassed my fpv wing (http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?2368-fpv-flying-wing-build-log&highlight=fpv+wing), but I'm not sure how rigid it will be once cured. I may have to end up investing in epoxy resin ($$$).

I am surprised you didn't go with the plastic bottle technique that you posted the other day.