earthsciteach's STOL Build for the "Contest"

quorneng

Master member
Tritium
Flux? er...no! Not that I am aware of. :confused:

Quorneng is the name of the model engineering business my Dad set up in the 1970s when he retired from his full time job teaching engineering design.
It is an abbreviation of Quorn Engineering named after the village in Leicestershire UK where he lived.

I am nothing like the model engineer he was. Building planes was never his main interest (which is probably why I did it!) but he was pretty good at building model engines - like this 'one off' 5cc (0.3 cu in) petrol 4 stroke. It was built in 1964, some 12 years before OS released their first FS 60 (10cc) glow.
Display1.JPG
A performance engine it has a 'hemi' head with 45 degree inclined valves and a lightweight 'slipper' piston with two compression rings. It has a float carburettor.
All machined from solid stock with just a milling attachment on his small 3 1/2" Drummond lathe!
Built for an attempt on the endurance record for a 10lb plane unfortunately the FAI removed the weight limit shortly after it was completed so the plane was never built.
A 'proper' 4 stroke it runs on pump petrol and has a dry sump with pressure lubrication to the big end.
It still runs.

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Flux is an Englishman who has a depth of knowledge concerning wind turbines that seems bottomless.

Your knowledge seemed a similar depth (in a different field of course).

Very cool engine, thanks. I understand where your engineering knowledge comes from now. Are
you still running the business he started in the 70's?

Thurmond

Tritium

Do you also have some wind power at your place, Thurmond?

Nothing in the air currently but plans to add to my solar system when I can get some towers built for them. Plans are for two 12' home built mills. Average High Wind Speed at my place so far this year is 23.75 MPH. Average Wind Speed is about 16 MPH

Thurmond

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
Tritium
Quorn Engineering was primarily set up to market the plans and the book for the Quorn tool and cutter grinder he designed for model engineers to make.
Earthsciteach
I did consider putting it in a plane but I was unable to get it to run reliably using a miniature coil for the ignition so I decided the risk was too great to the engine given that any sort of maintenance repair would be impossible (by me anyway!).

earthsciteach

Sooo... I'm hoping for a maiden tomorrow. But, still have A LOT to do! The landing gear is 90% installed. I need to sleeve the axle so the wheels aren't all sloppy and do a couple of other minor things to the LG. And, yes, the tail is crooked. Oops! I need to fix that. Hot glue set too fast. The flaperon brackets are cut. These will be laminated with plastic sheeting for reinforcement.
To do: Cowling (still), windscreen, cut windows, add trim (black), install servos and control rods, install flaperons, tailwheel. Hmmm.... I'm sure I'm missing something on the list.

Attachments

• DSCF8265.JPG
    DSCF8265.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCF8266.JPG
    DSCF8266.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCF8267.JPG
    DSCF8267.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Tritium

You just need a bit of antenna duct to fit the slop out. Of course some brass tubing from an old extendable antenna might work also. Just glue the adapter into the wheel hub then a spot of hot glue to retain it on the shaft.

Thurmond

earthsciteach

WOOT WOOT!!!!

She's really coming together, now. I've installed the flaperons, all servos, hubs for the drunken wheels (landing gear axles may need to be remade, but that is no big deal - lg is still not totally assembled). This is the first time I've looked at it and said, "Yeah, that looks like a Kitfox!" Quite happy! :cool:

Here are some pics!

Close up of the flaperon bracket/pin hinge
DSCF8281.JPG

Pretty pics:
DSCF8282.JPG DSCF8283.JPG DSCF8284.JPG

I definitely need to make some wing struts as she is sporting a bit of anhedral. Also need to finish the glass in the cabin, and attach control rods/horns. Doubt I'll get the cowling on before she flies, but its a bush plane, right?

quorneng

Master member
Earthsciteach
The flaperons are very nicely done.
No question it looks like a bush plane - but the acid test is will it fly like one?

earthsciteach

Bah, the ability to fly is only secondary in this contest. LOL! I have confidence that it will fly quite well. After all I designed and built it...:p