earthsciteach's STOL Build for the "Contest"

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Thanks Monkey, That was my big laugh of the day! ;)

Wind Turbines DON'T Fly they SPIN. A pinwheel is "tethered" so it can't be called STOL any more than me picking up a rock and dropping it in the same place could be called STOL.

Thurmond

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Wind turbines fly in place. Its like running on a treadmill. Rocks certainly have short landings. I don't know what you guys are thinking...

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Man I don't "run" except to get away from something bigger or meaner. Think male bovine or wild hog. And it is my belief that if exercise does not produce something like shorter grass, less weeds, new fences etc then it is a totally wasted effort (this could come from the fact that there is never a shortage of productive task to accomplish on a ranch) that in fact consumes energy (power for the treadmill and the facility that houses it as well as air conditioning for the facility and treadmill user).

Thurmond

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Wind turbines fly in place. Its like running on a treadmill. Rocks certainly have short landings. I don't know what you guys are thinking...

Remember people, this man is teaching your children...

not MY children of course, I refuse to have any.

earthsciteach

I finally was able to get a cowl made for the Kitfox last night. Had to go to Dollar General and buy a 2.5 liter soda bottle to fit the form. I haven't made the attachment points for it yet. It will line up better when that is done, but it looks pretty good just sitting in place. Now, I have to make a windscreen. I'm debating whether to make a form or just cut a pattern and fold into shape. I'll probably play around with the pattern, first.

DSCF8285.JPG

earthsciteach

Thanks, man! I'm having a great time building it. I even have a beautiful setting to maiden it in this week. Now, just to be able to squeak in some time to finish her off.

earthsciteach

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

She flew tonight! I definitely had the cg too far forward. I had to increase the angle of incidence of the wing by shimming with a stick and hold full back the whole time to keep her from diving. The flaperons work great as ailerons, but she sinks like a rock with them deployed as flaps. I'll see how she behaves with a proper cg. Landing was rough. When I cut throttle she nosed over. I hit full throttle and started to level off, but she hit the ground and flipped onto her back. No damage, other than a chipped prop, though! Oh, and the prop hub fell off at some point. LOL. More flight tomorrow! The video is uploading now.