Easy Homemade Bind plug

Pilot-294

so i got m pz F4U and then i got my UM Mossie, so i bound my dx5e to my mossie and found out it didn't come with a bid plug. so i did some youtube research and came up with this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD5Fq62wWj4
it works perfectly for me. i just figured id share the love for anybody who didn't know and hopefully it helps!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
You don't have to use a bind plug on the Parkzone Ultra Micro planes. If you plug in the battery first before you switch on your transmitter you will see the LED on the ESC module flashing indicating it's looking for a bind. You then start up your radio in bind mode...done!

Edit*
I just watched the video, the UM Mossie doesn't use a RX like that...the video guy made a regular bind plug for a standard RX.

Last edited:

Pilot-294

no prob on the vid, i figure most normal and experienced pilots would know this, but beginners (like me) could use this 3 dollar tip, especially since when i found out i needed a plug to re-bind to the corsair i was flying the next day and wouldn't have made it to the hobby shop! lol

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
I use these multicopter jumper wires for bind plugs.
They are fitted on the control board so you have them always with you.
10 pcs for almost nothing...

IMG_0488.JPG

Pilot-294

So what's so special with a bind plug may I ask?
I needed one to bind my Dx5e back to my park zone corsair, after i bound it to my ultra micro. then i found (after i had made one) that even pliers would have worked to put the rx into bind mode... its still easier to use the bind plug tho. so nothing much special about it besides me thinking (still beginner when it comes to hardware) that i absolutely needed one.

still glad i got creative and made one tho :cool:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I needed one to bind my Dx5e back to my park zone corsair, after i bound it to my ultra micro. then i found (after i had made one) that even pliers would have worked to put the rx into bind mode... its still easier to use the bind plug tho. so nothing much special about it besides me thinking (still beginner when it comes to hardware) that i absolutely needed one.

So if it's just a jumper wire, then why don't they simply make a bind push button?

Pilot-294

was just thinking that after i replied actually lol. its beyond my reason as to why not. maybe to make the extra 2 dollars it costs for a plug haha but i doubt it.

and now that i think about it, i could wire in a switch thru my bind plug... GREAT IDEA!!! thanks colorex!

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
was just thinking that after i replied actually lol. its beyond my reason as to why not. maybe to make the extra 2 dollars it costs for a plug haha but i doubt it.

and now that i think about it, i could wire in a switch thru my bind plug... GREAT IDEA!!! thanks colorex!

Thanks, indeed if it is only a jumper wire, then a small pushbutton would do. Just make sure it's hard to press so you don't get any accidents. Get as low-profile as you can. The lowest profile button will be the best, most durable, and less accident prone.

Nice to know I got a good idea!

mini_push_button_switch.jpg

Pilot-294

my dad has a couple simple pushbutton switches, ill solder it and tape it to the floor of my electronics compartment, it'll be super easy, and ill bind even easier. just wanna make sure it won't draw extra electricity or something stupid like that. lol

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I don't think my idea is unique, as the FrSky Rx's use bind buttons. But we might be the first ones to mod a Spektrum Rx with a button!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The bind plug normally comes with all receivers. You use it normally only once unless you have a DX5 with no model memories.
The smart thing with 2,4 is that once you have bound to your transmitter the rx will remember. The model match feature on Spektrum binds not only to you tx but also to the model memory selected when bound.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor

The way this works is the transmitter has a GUI, Globaly Unique Identifier code. The receiver learns that code during the binding process. Once it's bound, it continues to look for that code and will only work with the proper transmitter. The receiver can be bound to any DSM2 transmitter, but the transmitter never ever changes.

So, once you have bound a model to your transmitter, you can also have another model bound to that same transmitter. You don't have to rebind. You just turn on the transmitter first, turn on the model you want to fly and once it sees the proper GUI code, it should come to life. There's no reason for constant rebinding. Even if you are swapping the receiver from plane to plane, it will remain bound to that transmitter.

I have a DX5e that I flew with a Super cub, and Ember 2 and an MSR and I never had to rebind to anything. In fact, I left the MSR plugged in and started flying the Ember 2 and the MSR took off. The thing I had to worry about were the dip switches. Now I have a DX8 with model match so those things are no longer problems.

I would caution against leaving a bind button in the model because it may actually cause problems for you down the road. If you find yourself constantly rebinding things I would try to figure out what's going on.