EBM Fairchild Trainer PT-19 Build Thread

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
This is why I decided to not join in on the fall build along. I bought this one and the other one about a month ago and have been waiting until I finish this semester to actually start building them. The semester ends on December 7th and then I'll open the boxes and jump in :)

30976224426_02f37cc6cc_k.jpg

This is a free-flight rubber powered model from Easy Built Models. I've never built one of their models but I hear they fly well. This will be a log of the process.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'd say rather, 'You've decided to join the fall build along with a different kit choice than most' :)

jsknockoff

Mentor
I e tried ordering that kit like 3 different times and it's always out of stock. I'd say that is a good indication that it will fly pretty nice. Are you staying with rubber power or converting to electric?

TexMechsRobot

I e tried ordering that kit like 3 different times and it's always out of stock. I'd say that is a good indication that it will fly pretty nice. Are you staying with rubber power or converting to electric?

Staying with rubber for now. If I like the build process then I may order another and convert it to electric.

TexMechsRobot

I opened the box yesterday just to make sure I had the right mindset and everything I needed. Everything I pulled out impressed me. The balsa is color coordinated by density and strength (they paint the ends with different colors). There is an 8.5 x 11 page describing the best build method to ensure you have enough balsa, where to use the different densities and why, and basic instructions to get you through the model building. The plans were very high quality and rolled to eliminate creases. Inside the plan roll was the tissue also crease free. They printed tissue decals that could be added to the model as well as tissue lettering that was cut out (i'm assuming die cut) so that the shapes are perfect. There is a long strand of rubber (not sure of the dimensions or specifications but it seems high quality to me) and a nice propeller and hub.

I'll take pictures and post later this evening but I just wanted to say that the quality of the kit is very impressive at first look. I have no idea how easily it'll go together but I'm expecting great things.

I think I'll be taking my final exams on Friday evening or Saturday so I won't be too far behind the fall build along start date. I don't intend to even TRY to keep up though. My builds (this and the Mystery Tailless) will be months in the making.

Looking forward to it though!!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'd love to see a pic of the instructions where they talk about which balsa density to use and why. That sounds like info that ALL kit manufacturers should include!

Hopefully they've spent as much time designing the kit as they have on the rest of the pieces included with it - if so, it should fall together easily. Even if your builds take months, obviously keep posting details and updates to give everybody else some long-term inspiration to try balsa. My inspiration for others should only take a few weeks, as I'm planning to have my EVA Bipe finished and ready to maiden by mid-December (Wisconsin weather permitting).

TexMechsRobot

I'd love to see a pic of the instructions where they talk about which balsa density to use and why. That sounds like info that ALL kit manufacturers should include!

Hopefully they've spent as much time designing the kit as they have on the rest of the pieces included with it - if so, it should fall together easily. Even if your builds take months, obviously keep posting details and updates to give everybody else some long-term inspiration to try balsa. My inspiration for others should only take a few weeks, as I'm planning to have my EVA Bipe finished and ready to maiden by mid-December (Wisconsin weather permitting).

I'll put pics up this evening. I rolled the plans in the reverse direction to help them lay flat. I'll keep this build thread alive until maiden is complete and I'll do the same with the Mystery Tailless. I'm just doing one at a time since I only have so much desk space and a couple of other projects already in progress.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
That is freakin' awesome. It's a good example of why some kits cost more than the cheap stuff you get from overseas (Hobby King)...

TexMechsRobot

That is freakin' awesome. It's a good example of why some kits cost more than the cheap stuff you get from overseas (Hobby King)...

Money VERY well spent so far. Depending on how it flies under rubber, I can see myself buying another to convert to RC.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I immediately checked their website but couldn't find anything that really spoke to me with my current needs.

TexMechsRobot

I immediately checked their website but couldn't find anything that really spoke to me with my current needs.

Well they've been around since 1948 so I daresay they'll be there when you need them. They specialize in rubber power so there won't be too many folks here looking to buy from them.

TexMechsRobot

I got started yesterday morning and spent about 15 hours building. I didn't have much else going on. I plan to keep going today and hope to get it all to the point of ready for covering.

Thoughts and review. The balsa is very nice. I'm not a balsa expert and don't do any competition flying but these guys know their stuff. They sorted the balsa by density and the plans list exactly where to use which types of balsa. There was only one issue with the laser cut pieces. For some reason, the top former for rib 3 seemed to have been crushed somehow. The thickness at the bottom was the normal 1/8" but at the top, it was barely 1/32". It was the only one like that.

Exactly opposite of the MM kits that everyone else is building, the plans on the kits are very detailed and there are basically no instructions. If I hadn't build a balsa plane before, I would be lost, and at times, I'm still lost. I have had to gut super glue joints more times than once. I would NOT recommend this kit to a beginner. The website lists it as "Building: Easy" and while the parts go together pretty well, there are a few instances where they don't explain anything. For instance, the stringers that run the length of the wing on the bottom are not depicted on the plans anywhere. There are notches cut out of the ribs but the notches don't go to the tips. Are you supposed to extend the stringers to the next rib or stop it at the last notch? It probably doesn't matter much but did cause me some confusion while I weighed the pros and cons.

Also, this was the first stick built fuselage I've done. All of the other models had a keel and I glued the formers to them. This construction is much lighter and just as strong (stronger?) but was harder for me to build.

I used magnets to build the separable wing option for ease of storage and transport.

But enough talk, pictures!

31416525515_0657e5aeea_k.jpg

31416538365_6e41fa2858_k.jpg

31271974892_98ef14dc39_k.jpg

31416534445_755dc39ba0_k.jpg

31416531815_500d376b50_k.jpg

31416529595_b7e2eaa80d_k.jpg

31271969982_40fd7dd440_k.jpg

30595355244_a88822b6b0_h.jpg

31271978912_e75fe452e7_k.jpg

31416542235_a651a33aaa_k.jpg

31271976992_93d2bfded1_k.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looking great!! I really dig your dual monitor setup at the workbench - must make following how-to videos and researching very convenient!

If you do make an RC version of this, might need to do something more secure for the wing mounting - the magnets are a great idea for free flight though. No maneuvering forces to worry about, and a good separation point if the landing is rough.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Wow, that really is a classic style stick-build kit! I agree with Rockyboy about mounting the wing if it'll be RC. It does look like a fantastic way to do it for free-flight so it helps absorb energy on impact/landing.

TexMechsRobot

I made a lot of progress today. I got the entire frame finished and sanded. It's ready for covering! I made a few decisions to make storage easier as well as get better flight results. I decided not to put any landing gear on it as well as not building in the cockpits. I'll use black tissue paper to show where the cockpits are and model the external pieces of the glass frame but all that will be done after covering. I also didn't put any of the gussets on for the transition from the wing to the fuselage. I could have done it but with the removable wing, it would have been a bit difficult to get a great fit and I didn't really care that much :) There will be a slight gap between the wing and the fuse unless I fix that tomorrow before covering. I also got the nose sanded and it's a good fit in the key hole.

31388555106_3edede31f1_h.jpg

31424654915_bd5c10ffa6_h.jpg

31388556976_fbaf27240e_h.jpg

31388558776_d80d51e81a_h.jpg

31388563446_beb5d62350_h.jpg

31388561946_098719ca4e_h.jpg

31388552906_cc48f06ddd_h.jpg

31279933722_1b8ae7fd1e_h.jpg

jsknockoff

Mentor
Everything looks really good so far. I vote for fixing any gap between the wing and fuse, I think you'll be glad you did when it's all finished. I really like the EBM kits, can't wait to see this thing fly. Are you planning to cover in tissue?