EBM Mystery Tailless Build Thread

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
This is why I decided to not join in on the fall build along. I bought this one and the other one about a month ago and have been waiting until I finish this semester to actually start building them. The semester ends on December 7th and then I'll open the boxes and jump in :)

25375905219_88a2643aee_k.jpg

This is a free-flight rubber powered model from Easy Built Models. I've never built one of their models but I hear they fly well. This will be a log of the process.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I remember seeing this on the web somewhere and wondering how it would do scaled up or converted to RC. Will be watching with interest!

TexMechsRobot

I remember seeing this on the web somewhere and wondering how it would do scaled up or converted to RC. Will be watching with interest!

Yeah I bet some of their models would convert nicely. I plan to stick with rubber since I've never done that and maybe I'll convert something to a micro RC for a later project.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've got both of your planned builds added to the list, and am looking forward to seeing them come together!

jsknockoff

Mentor
Looks pretty cool. I've build a few EBMs, but I have never flown any of my stick and tissue planes. Too scared to crash them after all the hard work!

TexMechsRobot

And here we go! It's about time I got this thing started.

The goal here is 26g AUW. I'm not terribly concerned with the cosmetics of the plane so I won't spend a ton of time on exterior coloring since this isn't modeled after a real plane anyway. Probably a couple of colors of tissue just to make it interesting.

This one builds with former and stringer construction which is what I'm used to. The difference is that there isn't a real keel to speak of. I had some trouble with the structure of the bottom of the fuselage and wound up figuring something out that seems to work. I have en extra piece left over though...

The lasercut pieces from EBM are top notch. Just first class. My only complain so far with their kits are that they don't actually give you and details about the rubber motor, how to fly it (besides basic CoG), or include instructions. It is up to the builder to figure out how to build it from the plans and basic tips printed on them and learn to fly using other resources. Knowing those things, I'd definitely buy from them again and would only recommend them to friends that I knew already had the skill set required.

Enough of that though. Pictures!

32894090140_37fdd82129_h.jpg

32462301523_979c6c3c90_h.jpg

32462299803_6b35ed3d45_h.jpg

32462301513_d766688ea7_h.jpg

32462301733_c9af13b5b7_h.jpg

32894090270_ed46764072_h.jpg

TexMechsRobot

So I need a little help with covering the plane. I'm mostly done with the parts that I know how to do (fuselage and wings) but I need to cover 4 pieces that are basically 1/16" balsa sheets. I'm worried that if I do it incorrectly, these pieces will have a bad warp in them since the balsa is so thin and soft.

I've done some internet searching and I can't seem to find anything specific to my challenge. Does anyone here have experience with this?

Part of me thinks that it's just the same method.

1. Apply glue stick to one side of the sheet.
2. Pre wet the tissue with alcohol an water mix.
3. Let the tissue dry for a few seconds and then lay it on the sheet.
4. Gently press the tissue down to adhere to the glue.
5. Pin the edges to keep flat while it dries.
6. Once dry, trip the edges and repeat with the other side.

The only issue I can see with this is that as the tissue dries, it will shrink and warp after I remove the pins. Can I correct this just by doing the same thing to the other side? Logically, the same forces would be applied on both sides so it should stay straight.

Help?

Tench745

Master member
Applying tissue to just one side could potentially warp the part. Pinning it flat while it dries might be enough to prevent a potato chip. Doing the other side should alleviate the stresses induced by just covering one side.
Are these pieces the vertical endplates for the lower wing?

TexMechsRobot

That's the correct part. I think that if I follow my method and accidentally potato chip one side, doing the same method on the reverse should straighten it out. Worst case, I buy some more balsa and give it another go :)

TexMechsRobot

This isn't my best covering job but I didn't really care about this one. I'm more interested in the flight for this one rather than the looks as a model. I think this stems from it not being a real airplane so I don't feel like I need to replicate anything. The window placement isn't really how I would have chosen to do it. I just followed the instructions. Looking back, I wish I had done something different but it works. I still need to cover the thin sheets I was referencing above but everything else is good to go.

33327420425_e767cd3d46_h.jpg

32484883034_44431ac47a_h.jpg

32944819110_c052b71c29_h.jpg

33286629056_8702a44cd5_h.jpg

32528797003_0c0f547d2c_k.jpg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Nice work! You always have great detail in your work, looks great. Get a maiden video when it stops raining someday...

TexMechsRobot

Nice work! You always have great detail in your work, looks great. Get a maiden video when it stops raining someday...

Thanks! This one isn't so pretty. I haven't been real concerned with the looks :)

I finished up construction and did a quick indoor glide test to get a ball park balance point. It flies well (for 10' anyway) and the next step is getting it outside into some space when the weather dries up!

32568922773_06e7d3e463_k.jpg

33383107035_9051649822_k.jpg

33383108505_7856565dca_k.jpg

32568921623_0013ffd449_k.jpg

32540390844_6af53dd070_k.jpg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Jeeze, I would be afraid the wall would break it! It looks like it will float forever with the rubber power. I always wondered if you could put two micro servos and a micro receiver for rudder and elevator control on rubber powered planes. of course yours has no tail.

TexMechsRobot

Jeeze, I would be afraid the wall would break it! It looks like it will float forever with the rubber power. I always wondered if you could put two micro servos and a micro receiver for rudder and elevator control on rubber powered planes. of course yours has no tail.

That's why I tossed it at an angle to deflect the impact. Less abrupt transition from moving to not moving that way. This plane is so light as well that it's not carrying much momentum. AUW is about 26g.

People put micro electronic parts on these planes all the time. The Micron Wings website is one place devoted to helping people do this.

If I can get it trimmed correctly for rubber power, this thing should fly all day. I'm looking forward to trying to figure it out :) I'm hoping the Hobart field is large enough! I don't know where else I could go. A farm would be perfect but I don't know anyone who has that much land and would let me use it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If that thing ever catches a thermal you can kiss it good by. Someone else will have a toy if it ever comes back down. Get you one of them mini gps trackers :p

I would say I know a bunch of farm type areas where (I know from experience that) NO ONE fly's but you are on the other side of the country so an invite would be moot.