Eclipson Model A (free version)

bartman99

So I ran a test comparing PLA to PETG on one wing section on my Ender 3. The PLA came out great! The PETG not so much. I used the G-code setting for the PLA, but increased my nozzle and bed setting a bit. The "skin" on the wing section came out depressed or sagging (see pictures). Any idea what to tweak?
IMG_20210207_180903_1.jpg
PXL_20210207_230705937.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I had similar results with PETG vs PLA. in my case, There was also warping and lifting. I think that it may work better with an enclosure, but have not built one yet, or tried it on my crappy enclosed printer.

LB

DeltaKilo69

I always use .4 with all my printers, and all my planes.
I think 3dlabprint recommends something wider. I usually have issues with gaps at the layer start with 0.4mm. I've messed with retract and extra prime after retract... I've dried filament... I can't seem to tune out the gapping. And it's inconsistent. Some parts are worse than others, even though I use the exact same printing profile. GHAAAAAA! 🤬

poser

Finished getting mine put together last night. printing and assembly went smoothly. however on the maiden i had an unplanned rapid disassembly when the motor got a little hot and ripped free of the mount :/ If you choose to print the motor mount in pla id def recomend puting somthing on the back of the motor mount to distibute the pull over a wider area, like washers or one of those metal x mounts that comes with motors. other than that it seemed to fly really well before it got hot, def building another. Ive atached the only photo i thought to take of it while it was still in one piece along with what it looks like now.

Attachments

• IMG_20210207_192633.jpg
    IMG_20210207_192633.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210208_112700.jpg
    IMG_20210208_112700.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

DeltaKilo69

Finished getting mine put together last night. printing and assembly went smoothly. however on the maiden i had an unplanned rapid disassembly when the motor got a little hot and ripped free of the mount :/ If you choose to print the motor mount in pla id def recomend puting somthing on the back of the motor mount to distibute the pull over a wider area, like washers or one of those metal x mounts that comes with motors. other than that it seemed to fly really well before it got hot, def building another. Ive atached the only photo i thought to take of it while it was still in one piece along with what it looks like now.

I love that translucent, fluorescent green! Looks great!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I think 3dlabprint recommends something wider. I usually have issues with gaps at the layer start with 0.4mm. I've messed with retract and extra prime after retract... I've dried filament... I can't seem to tune out the gapping. And it's inconsistent. Some parts are worse than others, even though I use the exact same printing profile. GHAAAAAA! 🤬
Yeah, tuning is why I didn't mess with what worked for me. I've adjusted the Feed rates on the printers so they feed consistently, and adjusted the extrusion multiplier for consistency and fill. What works for me, may not work for others based on other adjustments and choices they have made. I may be consistently wrong by some standards, but with all the other adjustments, I get consistent results. Just changing to a different color of the same brand of filament can introduce enough change in flow, that the same profiles may not work...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
We have decided in collaboration with Flite Test to make a small present to the community. Here you can download the free version of our model A.
https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/modela

Notes:
-The free version does not include landing gear parts.
-If you decide to get the free version we can not give you direct support. In case of doubt or problem, please use this forum.
Awesome, I’ll definitely be giving this a shot!

Sero

Elite member
I'm having a go at this plane as well, I've had a 3D printer for a while but never used it for building a complete plane, only for parts for my FB's.

I wasn't having any luck with the recommended settings until I came across this video, which help a fair bit. But my printer is identical to an Ender3 so I'm going to try the provided G-code files.

Same channel has a build and flight video.

hayebseret

Is there anyone of this forum can help answer these question about 3D printing the Eclipson Modem A out?

I have a creative ender 5 printer.
I see there is g-code files for PLA.
Do I copy them to an SDCARD and just print them out? or should I use the STL files and a slicer program?

I have simplify3D software, does anyone know what setting to set for the slicing profile if I need to use a slicer program?

I have not used Cura program before, should I use Cura instead of simplify3D?
if so what profile setting should I set to get a good print?

Thank You
Sidney

Hi,
I will recommend against it, i had difficult times printing the front of the fuselage as it would sliced the holes for the motor mount as gaps, so i just loaded the gcode - what seem to be printed fine, turned out (after assembly) to be somewhat shorter than what was needed (i.e the print came out about 1cm shorter than what it should have been) - i noticed it only after i glued everything and saw that the canopy did not fit..
Go ahead and download the cura profiles, load them into Cura and slice it with your printer settings

hayebseret

My printer is not an Ender 3 or CR-10 and so figured I may need to perform some changes to these profiles.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4019181
I had Cura configured for my Robo R1 plus and got an error when importing the A profile from the above download as the quality type "standard" is not there in Cura for my printer. Got around the issue by setting printer type in Cura as Ender 3 and then changing the bed size, printer settings, start and end Gcodes for my printer. I used the Wing3L as a test print and the only parameters I changed were the temperature setting of the hot end from 220 to 200. Although its not bad I am seeing some small gaps on the leading edge. Of course this is where the hot end has to perform a very sharpe turn so maybe there is a bit of under extrusion, will continue testing.

I have also encountered that error- seem like the the quality (on the exported profiles) need to match what ever build-in profiles names you have for your current printer (mine 0.2 "Standard" was actually called "Draft") so I unzipped the curaprofile - than edit the two files inside with text editor, replace "standard" with your current built-in 0.2 or 0.15 name (depend on the profile since profile "C_" is 0.15) mine was "draft" - zip it again, rename the extension back to "curaprofile" and it will import without any issues.

RalphyM

Got mine on the printer now. I've been looking at 3D printing a plane for a while so hopefully this will work. I've got an AnyCubic i3 Mega and it might be my filament but the recommended 220C temp introduced a lot of warping into the wing segments. Dropped it down to 200 and it was much better. Wing and fuse now complete. Control surfaces and fittings in progress.

Top marks to Eclipson for this. I'm already looking at which one to build next!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

lickylips

Hi there,
I think I've done something wrong on the print and was wondering if I'm missing something obvious. I printed the fuselage parts and went to test fit them. As you can see in the image below, the tabs on the left line up fine at the top of the right side part. but the lower ones have nowhere to go as it is a solid piece at the bottom on the right. This issue is repeated on all but the back end of the fuselage. I'm printing on the Ender 3 pro and using the slicer that came with it (it's based on cura).

Did I make a mistake somewhere? Or am I supposed to use a hot knife to open up where those tabs should go?

Thanks for your help
Seán
PXL_20210211_094558626.jpg

RalphyM

Hi there,
I think I've done something wrong on the print and was wondering if I'm missing something obvious. I printed the fuselage parts and went to test fit them. As you can see in the image below, the tabs on the left line up fine at the top of the right side part. but the lower ones have nowhere to go as it is a solid piece at the bottom on the right. This issue is repeated on all but the back end of the fuselage. I'm printing on the Ender 3 pro and using the slicer that came with it (it's based on cura).

Did I make a mistake somewhere? Or am I supposed to use a hot knife to open up where those tabs should go?

Thanks for your help
Seán View attachment 192087
You are trying to line up the forward part of the Fuse2 with the forward part of Fuse 3. Turn Fus2 (the one on the right in your pic) around.

Crus89

Hi there,

Thanks for your help
Seán View attachment 192087

Hi, parts of the fuselage need to be printed with no upper nor bottom layers (and this is also applicable to most of the wing parts): if the slicer you are using is based on Cura, you should set the thickness of top/bottom layers to zero.
Even thought parts are not supposed to be printed as you did, you may try with a hot knife and see if you can "save" them.

RalphyM

Hi, parts of the fuselage need to be printed with no upper nor bottom layers (and this is also applicable to most of the wing parts): if the slicer you are using is based on Cura, you should set the thickness of top/bottom layers to zero.
Even thought parts are not supposed to be printed as you did, you may try with a hot knife and see if you can "save" them.

That's not the problem, if you look he is lining up the canopy cover cut-out (see the inset lip) to the rear of the wing cutout (flat surface). But you are also right in that all the fuselage sections have no top or bottom layers.