Eclipson Model A (free version)

TheStapler

Anyone flown with a wing printed in petg yet?
I was flying a football field today and my wing snapped and the plane starting spinning like a missle and crash into the car park. Was lucky no cars were around. Wing was printed in pla and broke off from one of the glued joins was my fault. I have a wing printed in petg ready to be glued together.

Attachments

• IMG-20210316-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210316-WA0000.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210316_184102.jpg
    20210316_184102.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Juli4n

Here is my Version of the Model A after a great maiden flight yesterday.
It flies absolutely perfect, cruising on 3s, unlimited vertical on 4s.
Great plane!
Next will be the Model D.

IMG_20210317_165306.jpg

Dudley1001

well the maiden flight is in the books, flew great with just a few clicks of down. Then the damn wind kicked in. ONly 2 flights today but so far very happy!

elcp

Is there anyone of this forum can help answer these question about 3D printing the Eclipson Modem A out?

I have a creative ender 5 printer.
I see there is g-code files for PLA.
Do I copy them to an SDCARD and just print them out? or should I use the STL files and a slicer program?

I have simplify3D software, does anyone know what setting to set for the slicing profile if I need to use a slicer program?

I have not used Cura program before, should I use Cura instead of simplify3D?
if so what profile setting should I set to get a good print?

Thank You
Sidney

Hey, there just finished printing mine and struggling with the electronics, a post for another thread. The download includes sliced g code files so you don’t actually need the slicer. Download includes files for PLA, which I used and also for LW-PLA. I have Cura 4.8. Of you use LW-PLA it recommends printing one piece at a time to avoid stringing.

Dudley1001

I did the same, just used the gcode for pla and used Esun PLA+ and it worked very well. Mine was mostly printed on a Adminlab Gantry S which is pretty much a clone of the Ender 3

Spitfire76

I was planning to use a Sunny Sky 2212-13 980Kv motor with a 9 x 4.5 prop and wondered if that was powerful enough for the PLA version. It weights 63g and I tried balancing with a 3s 1300mAh battery that weights 119g and a 3s 2200 mAh battery that weights 167g. It was tail heavy with the smaller battery and balanced fine with the larger one placed up close to the motor. I noticed in the build video Troy was placing the battery almost under the wing but he had made his with the light weight PLA so maybe that made a difference or maybe his motor was heavier.

Last edited:

Dudley1001

That was what I found as well. a 1300 is right up to the motor mount. I am running a 2212 1000kv with a 8x4 prop and 3 cells and it worked fine with good climb out. If you want more of a rocket a 1300-1400kv would do the trick. My second flight was with a 2200 3 cell and it was easier to balance. If you have to add weight to balance, you got to do it. I flew fine with the 2200 and I would rather have a bigger battery than lead.

Spitfire76

That was what I found as well. a 1300 is right up to the motor mount. I am running a 2212 1000kv with a 8x4 prop and 3 cells and it worked fine with good climb out. If you want more of a rocket a 1300-1400kv would do the trick. My second flight was with a 2200 3 cell and it was easier to balance. If you have to add weight to balance, you got to do it. I flew fine with the 2200 and I would rather have a bigger battery than lead.
Did you also print yours with regular PLA ?. If so that's good to hear that a 2200 mAh battery is not too heavy. I've installed the Aura 5 Lite and its setup with a flapperon config so should be an interesting maiden, possibly this coming Wednesday.

The Fopster

Master member
I've just started printing with the free gcodes on a stock Ender 3 V2 (using lw-pla), and the first couple of parts seem perfect. This is lookin like being much easier than I imagined. Phew!

Dudley1001

Did you also print yours with regular PLA ?. If so that's good to hear that a 2200 mAh battery is not too heavy. I've installed the Aura 5 Lite and its setup with a flapperon config so should be an interesting maiden, possibly this coming Wednesday.
I used Esun PLA+ and was very happy how it came out. I had some pla from a local shop and it was terrible and broke the wing as I was putting the ailerons on. You may want to do a wing panel and make sure it will hold up. Mine was separating at layers when even squeezed a little.

Spitfire76

I used Esun PLA+ and was very happy how it came out. I had some pla from a local shop and it was terrible and broke the wing as I was putting the ailerons on. You may want to do a wing panel and make sure it will hold up. Mine was separating at layers when even squeezed a little.
I used Hatchbox PLA and Hatchbox PETG for the motor holder. Take off weight is about 730g using the 2200 battery.

pispifu

Thank you,
not easy to place all :) to get center vertical and horizontal

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_203210.jpg
    IMG_20210401_203210.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Spitfire76

Anyone used the decals provided and if so how to you apply them ?. I assume you need some sort of vinyl cutting machine.

fazerpileit

Hi all. Still printing my model a. Pretty new to 3d printing. Got my printer early january. I was wondering about the rules for uploading files. I used meshmixer and combined f1 and f2 into a single stl. I did the same with f3 and f4. They printed out and glued together pretty good. Thought I would share them if it doesn't violate any rules for modifying Eclipson files. My printer is the creality cr10 mini and the parts just fit the build volume height with a couple mm to spare. F1 f2 is 296.5 mm and f3 f4 is a bit shorter. Am i allowed to share these and does it interest anyone?
Jerry