Eclipson Model A (free version)

BayDesigns

What size rubber band is needed? I saw this question asked earlier in the thread but I didn’t understand. I’m looking at FT bands and I see 7x3/32” and 8x3/16”. Advice is appreciated!

Sero

Elite member
What size rubber band is needed? I saw this question asked earlier in the thread but I didn’t understand. I’m looking at FT bands and I see 7x3/32” and 8x3/16”. Advice is appreciated!

I just get an assortment bag at the dollar store. Something usually fits.

Just got mine done today. This was a bit of an experiment in patience as my i3 clone can only print about 150mm in height. So most of the parts had to be split up into additional pieces. In the end it all went together. Printed strictly in normal PLA, except for the motor mounts I used ABS.

Will it fly? Probably but it's heavy. I haven't weighed it yet though. I'll have to figure out some additional weight for the nose because it balances tail heavy even with the battery installed. I've got time to figure that out as we still have snow and it will probably be a couple months before I can take it out (and probably crash it into 50 pieces :) )

@Backlund I noticed that you have an FPV camera mount on your plane. Did you design it yourself or find it online? I have seen FPV mounts for some of their other planes but not the model A.

Jha

[QUOTE = "3pa, post: 636507, membre: 52932"] Nous avons décidé en collaboration avec Flite Test de faire un petit cadeau à la communauté. Ici vous pouvez télécharger la version gratuite de notre modèle A.
https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/modela

Remarques:
-La version gratuite n'inclut pas les pièces de train d'atterrissage.
-Si vous décidez d'obtenir la version gratuite, nous ne pouvons pas vous apporter de support direct. En cas de doute ou de problème, veuillez utiliser ce forum. [/ QUOTE]

Jha

[QUOTE = "3pa, post: 636507, membre: 52932"] Nous avons décidé en collaboration avec Flite Test de faire un petit cadeau à la communauté. Ici vous pouvez télécharger la version gratuite de notre modèle A.
https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/modela

Remarques:
-La version gratuite n'inclut pas les pièces de train d'atterrissage.
-Si vous décidez d'obtenir la version gratuite, nous ne pouvons pas vous apporter de soutien direct. En cas de doute ou de problème, veuillez utiliser ce forum. [/ CITATION]

Jha

Bonjour
Vos GCODE pour l'impression du (Eclipson 3D imprimé A) est Top!
Avez-vous mis à disposition votre profil Cura sur le Forum ou ailleurs?
Je suis preneur si possible
Merci

Last edited:
Having a problem I haven't seen here. Printing in LWPLA on an Ender 3 pro. Some parts (wing tips) print great. I'm trying to print the wing center section now and getting the results seen. I've rotated the part 180 degrees, and even tried the included g code - always happens at the same height. I'm currently printing the 1R and 1L wing sections and they are great. Problem seems to happen when it crosses over itself to print a small section. (parts printed one at a time) Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210421_014340805.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210421_014340805.MP.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0

viknik

Hi all. Still printing my model a. Pretty new to 3d printing. Got my printer early january. I was wondering about the rules for uploading files. I used meshmixer and combined f1 and f2 into a single stl. I did the same with f3 and f4. They printed out and glued together pretty good. Thought I would share them if it doesn't violate any rules for modifying Eclipson files. My printer is the creality cr10 mini and the parts just fit the build volume height with a couple mm to spare. F1 f2 is 296.5 mm and f3 f4 is a bit shorter. Am i allowed to share these and does it interest anyone?
Jerry
Hi, yes I'd be interested to see the amended files, as there appears to be no objections so far to you sharing. I am interested in this as a first printed model.

Spitfire76

Having a problem I haven't seen here. Printing in LWPLA on an Ender 3 pro. Some parts (wing tips) print great. I'm trying to print the wing center section now and getting the results seen. I've rotated the part 180 degrees, and even tried the included g code - always happens at the same height. I'm currently printing the 1R and 1L wing sections and they are great. Problem seems to happen when it crosses over itself to print a small section. (parts printed one at a time) Any ideas? Thanks!
My first build of this model was with regular PLA but I just recently purchased a spool of the LW-PLA and plan on making another build shortly so will post here if I have these issues or not.

Last edited:

7ShadesBlack

Hey could use some help. This is my second attempt at 3d printing an airplane (first one flew like a upside down turtle). I download the free version of the .stl files after loading them into Cura and setting my print profile based off of the youtube videos I noticed the inner structure does not attach to top layer of the wing is this suppose to be this way it? I tested printed Wing C and they are not connected.

Attachments

• Gap Wing.png
    Gap Wing.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Spitfire76

Hey could use some help. This is my second attempt at 3d printing an airplane (first one flew like a upside down turtle). I download the free version of the .stl files after loading them into Cura and setting my print profile based off of the youtube videos I noticed the inner structure does not attach to top layer of the wing is this suppose to be this way it? I tested printed Wing C and they are not connected.

Last edited:

Dudley1001

I had no problem printing the whole plane in PLA+ and just used the pla gcode supplied. I can see if you print it with the gcode of LW-PLA and use pla filament that you would have a problem as the flow rate is far less to allow for the foaming action of the LW.

7ShadesBlack

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong I imported the Cura profile (ty) but now i have gaps on the bottom of the wing and on the top the layers still aren't connected but are much closer together.
1619983728150.png

7ShadesBlack

I had no problem printing the whole plane in PLA+ and just used the pla gcode supplied. I can see if you print it with the gcode of LW-PLA and use pla filament that you would have a problem as the flow rate is far less to allow for the foaming action of the LW.
The supplied Gcode shows the exact same problem when I open it in cura I am using standard PLA

Spitfire76

The supplied Gcode shows the exact same problem when I open it in cura I am using standard PLA
If I check layer 1 in Cura preview I see the same gap as you but as far as recall the resulting print was ok. I removed that profile from an earlier post as I noticed that Eclipson has remove their Cura profiles from thingiverse. It looks like now they just post screen shots of the Cura settings instead.
https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/readbeforestartprinting

Spitfire76

This plane flew just great but the last hand launch it hit the deck. Not sure why, I had an Aura 5 lite installed in it and was using its "Launch Assist" mode which had work several times before. Oh well looks like I get to try that LW-PLA on the next one!.
IMG_2701 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Dudley1001

Have you checked your flow rate to make sure you are getting the width you need? Try measuring the wall thickness with a caliper and it should be .4mm at 100% flow rate, if less then bump up your flow rate a bit. I use a flow rate cube on thingiverse to check it. Also check your estep/mm calibration for your extruder.

7ShadesBlack

Have you checked your flow rate to make sure you are getting the width you need? Try measuring the wall thickness with a caliper and it should be .4mm at 100% flow rate, if less then bump up your flow rate a bit. I use a flow rate cube on thingiverse to check it. Also check your estep/mm calibration for your extruder.

I don't think my problem is my printer its the Gcode. I followed the Youtube video
and my test print came out perfect. When slicing the TEST print in Cura it shows inner and outer walls are connected so it prints this way. When slicing the Gcode for this model there is a gap and my printer prints this gap between the inner structure and the outer skin. You can see the difference in the pictures. I have followed their guide for cura settings I am using standard PLA a Creality 10S Pro printer and I checked my wall thickens with my caliper and im getting .44 which seems well within tolerance for a 3d printer. If I switch from surface mode to normal mode the top of the wing and inner structure become closer together BUT I now have gaps along the bottom of the wing. Do i need to increase the wall thickness to force an overlap increasing the weight? Any ideas would be helpful. I am becoming frustrated as I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Also i have tried using 2 different version cura 4.6 and the newest 4.9 both have the same issue.

Attachments

• Test Wing.png
    Test Wing.png
    820.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Test Wing 1.jpg
    Test Wing 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Test Wing 2.jpg
    Test Wing 2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Gap Wing C.jpg
    Gap Wing C.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Gap Wing C.png
    Gap Wing C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Gap wing C normal mode.png
    Gap wing C normal mode.png
    369.4 KB · Views: 0

Spitfire76

I don't think my problem is my printer its the Gcode. I followed the Youtube video
and my test print came out perfect. When slicing the TEST print in Cura it shows inner and outer walls are connected so it prints this way. When slicing the Gcode for this model there is a gap and my printer prints this gap between the inner structure and the outer skin. You can see the difference in the pictures. I have followed their guide for cura settings I am using standard PLA a Creality 10S Pro printer and I checked my wall thickens with my caliper and im getting .44 which seems well within tolerance for a 3d printer. If I switch from surface mode to normal mode the top of the wing and inner structure become closer together BUT I now have gaps along the bottom of the wing. Do i need to increase the wall thickness to force an overlap increasing the weight? Any ideas would be helpful. I am becoming frustrated as I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Also i have tried using 2 different version cura 4.6 and the newest 4.9 both have the same issue.
My understanding is that youtube video you watched is for 3d printed planes like the ones on planeprint.com and 3dlabprint.com but Eclipson uses a different technique by not using retraction so the only thing to follow is to use their settings. I see clearly from your photos that there is a gap but don't know why. All I can say is that I did not have that issue when using their profiles. I don't have an Ender 3 but as the Eclipson profiles are based on the Ender 3 Pro printer profile using the quality "standard" setting its what I used and simply modified that print profile to match my printer specs like bed size etc.

Last edited: