Eclipson Model A (free version)

T4D

Quick question, Im a complete n00b to RC planes.. so Im printing this plane out.. will it work well with a 3s 2200mah 50c battery, a 40amp ESC 3V UBEC, and a D3536-5 1450KV motor with a 9060 prop?

Sero

Elite member
Quick question, Im a complete n00b to RC planes.. so Im printing this plane out.. will it work well with a 3s 2200mah 50c battery, a 40amp ESC 3V UBEC, and a D3536-5 1450KV motor with a 9060 prop?
That motor is too big for the nose of the plane. Even if you can get to fit it will be a heavy set-up and ideally you should have a 8" prop for a 1400kv motor on 3s. But it will have plenty of power.

T4D

Ill let you know how it ends up going, but as far as the motor, the ID of the nose is 36mm so the motor actually fits perfectly inside with a 1 mm gap around all sides. The 9060 prop is the recommended size from Flash Hobby for the D3536-5 1450kv.

Sero

Elite member
Ill let you know how it ends up going, but as far as the motor, the ID of the nose is 36mm so the motor actually fits perfectly inside with a 1 mm gap around all sides. The 9060 prop is the recommended size from Flash Hobby for the D3536-5 1450kv.

Prop size will vary based on how many cells you run. Generally a 1400kv motor on 3s will run a 8" prop, on 2s it will be 9". The motor you have is rated for 2-4s.
If you're new to the hobby I would recommend a smaller motor. Eclipson recommends a 28mm diameter motor for the Model A

fazerpileit

Hi. Is anybody else having trouble breaking out the holes on the wing servo mount? I am using the screws that came with the servos. 2mm. printed this part several times.
thanks

Roadkyng

Greetings. Printed my first wing panel and noted the skin is not necessarily attached to the former structures inside the wing. Could this be a wall setting or temp related? Or is this in the design? Ender 5 Pro.

Thanks

G

Zendev

Hello RC plane makers - happy to join you and excited about this project!

This project is my introduction to LW-PLA which is something else, lol :eek:

I ran a bunch of tests on my printer to nail down the settings and feel pretty good about most of my prints. But as you can see in my picture, the long narrow pieces (basically the whole empennage) are starting nice but near the top goes to $#$@.

Is there some trick to this or a way to stabilize the piece as it gets tall?

Next step for me is to slow it way down, maybe 20mm/s and adjust flow/temps accordingly to see if I can smooth that out.

422439.jpg

Broughski

Thanks again. In the end I've decided to invest in some PETG as I don't want to take the risk of the motor melting its holder. I'll also install the Aura 5 lite as that's really helped me with the foam board planes especially the launch assist.
PETG - I hate that stuff. :)

Broughski

I ran a bunch of tests on my printer to nail down the settings and feel pretty good about most of my prints. But as you can see in my picture, the long narrow pieces (basically the whole empennage) are starting nice but near the top goes to $#$@.

Next step for me is to slow it way down, maybe 20mm/s and adjust flow/temps accordingly to see if I can smooth that out.
Hi, I have something similar, have started with the Flaperons and Elevator as these are thin and this can be an issue when tall.

I am printing several pieces at the same time (4 flaps) helped along with a bit of stringing (yes Im happy with stringing) the stringing helped to hold the taller pieces stable* - however at around 80% height (100mm ish) they started to detach a little, I had a Z-hop of 2mm and noticed that when it hopped it was leaving a very small hump - which had cooled/hardened by the time it was that pieces turn again and the nozzle was catching/nudging this on the first loop, so I dropped the Z hop down to .2 (same as the layer height) and this stopped any catching and it went smooth again.

Ender 5 Pro glass+mag bed, 10mm brim, 25mms, 217' 60' temp, Creality white PLA, Matterhacker (because I can adapt/change while printing) Dehumidifier running.

Attachments

• 20210802_143653.jpg
    20210802_143653.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210802_143701.jpg
    20210802_143701.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

rorywquin

View attachment 204244
I'm using the Eclipson recommended settings with LW-PLA and get perfect results. I use the STL file and do my own slicing. Seems to come out better than the G code supplied by Eclipson.

maggiolo72

Hi there, starting today this new project :).

Attachments

• 20210910_211926.jpg
    20210910_211926.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210910_211937.jpg
    20210910_211937.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Ulix

Hello

I am starting a construction of this model (A).
I am using LW-PLA.
Can you tell me the weight of the rear part you get and advise?
and tell me what dimension of the carbon rod see picture?

thank you
planer.JPG

IMG_9915.jpg

maggiolo72

I print the fuselage with PETg, this part is 6gr the inside rod are 1mm carbon, you need 2 rods of 30cm each. How much does weight your LW-PLA ?

Ulix

Hello
Thank you for the explanations.
For the moment I have a concern of dimension at the level of the hole, for the moment it is 0.7 mm, and which should be from 1mm to 1.2mm. The room dimensions, width and height match well.
I don't know where the concern comes from.
IMG_9923.jpg
IMG_9916.jpg
IMG_9917.jpg

kilroy07

Legendary member
If you are new to RC, this probably isn't the best choice to be introduced into the hobby (IMHO.)

I would suggest you check out some of the FT foamboard designs first (Tiny trainer, simple scout are two good beginner designs.)

There's a lot to learn before you start dipping into the 3D printed plane realm. Unless you are printing in LW-PLA this design is a bit on the heavy side which it means it will be a bit faster... Not what you want when you are first starting out.

As it's been hinted, there is a new FT design coming out this week or maybe next... It looks like an awesome trainer too.

I don't want you to think I'm saying don't build and fly the 3D printed stuff, I'm just going on my own experience here.
(I bought a beautiful 1.1M Mustang and I haven't done any model airplane stuff since highschool (MANY years ago.)... then decided it "probably"* shouldn't be what I learn to fly with!) :LOL:

*Definitely

Paichi

Hey guys,
did anybody remodel the motor mount so that you can use other motors? I have a lot of motors from previous projects, but they are all way too short because they are screwed from the front and not from the back. Did anybody have the same problem?
I am so exited when I can finally start the plane for the first time ;)

Attachments

• Unbenannt.jpg
    Unbenannt.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 0

Tandemmtb

Here are some photos of my build. Printed in normal PLA on an Ender 3 (I used up the end of some rolls, the black is actually a carbon fibre reinforced PLA, which is no stronger, but has a fantastic surface finish. The build all went together ok, I ended up using Gorilla tape for the hinges which is probably a little heavy, but works and matched my colour scheme! :)

I am short two servos at the moment and a motor. For the photos, I modelled the Sunnysky 2212 using CAD and I 3D printed a mock "motor".(stl attached). The landing gear I found on Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4857591

No idea when / if flight and a maiden will occur. I enjoy the build far more than the flight which I am really bad at.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_5005.JPG
    IMG_5005.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5007.JPG
    IMG_5007.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5008.JPG
    IMG_5008.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5009.JPG