Eclipson Model V

LitterBug

Techno Nut
No, I have bought few weeks ago a 3d printer and I have a nice result. So I can help you for get the better result with your slicer.
Some print exemple.
I've been printing and designing things for several years and good at figuring it out on my own. I am just working on this one last piece. It's a pretty challenging part to print without having layer cooling on either of my printers. It's single wall, overhanging, the size gets smaller as the print goes on and by the end, layer print time is reducing. Print quality is completely dialed in for the bottom 3/4, but the end with very short layer time is causing the issue. Playing with changing settings only for the last 1/4 of the print to get beyond this.
Winglet.png

qwijibo

I've been printing and designing things for several years and good at figuring it out on my own. I am just working on this one last piece. It's a pretty challenging part to print without having layer cooling on either of my printers. It's single wall, overhanging, the size gets smaller as the print goes on and by the end, layer print time is reducing. Print quality is completely dialed in for the bottom 3/4, but the end with very short layer time is causing the issue. Playing with changing settings only for the last 1/4 of the print to get beyond this.
View attachment 153986
Yeah, printing parts like this without a cooling fan can be pretty difficult, but I'm sure you'll get it dialed in. (y)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yah, I may just mod the printer for layer cooling.... Much more plausible with the alternate firmware.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well, that was fun. Turns out the junk stock XYZ hotend was biting me again. After I get all the parts done, the E3D conversion will happen for sure. The AIO heat-block Nozzle was all crustied up and finally just quit flowing. Had to completely disassemble the hotend to get it all cleaned out. Ended up backing up into the heat break tube too. The only thing that would get all the crud out of the nozzle was an SMD tip on my soldering iron and lots of heat.

Have it all re-assembled now and print quality is substantially better.

Cheers!
LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hmmmm. missing Left wing 3 (red) and canopy 2 (black). I know those have been printed before. LOL Those should be easy to do again. Figured I'd post up a teaser.
EclipsonVprogress.jpg

STILL working on getting "perfect" wingtips (black). Have plenty of blobual badness on the overhang. Going to give it a stab on the MP Mini, since they should barely fit on it.

Have carbon tubes for the wings and carbon rods for the tail. Figure I overstress everything I fly, so might as well give it a little more of a chance of surviving. LOL

Ended up ordering another complete All-Metal E3D V6. The spare E3D parts I have are incompatible with the mods for the XYZ. Non-metal heat break from MP Mini is too long, heat sink from MP Mini has wrong threads to work with the spare all-metal heat break, etc... Doing the E3D conversion opens up a ton of other options for layer cooling. Not worth printing up a cooling part only to replace it after the conversion.
Hotend parts.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
After probably 30 attemps, I FINALLY got a decent (not perfect) Left winglet to print! YIP YIP! It came down to layer cooling. I ended up printing this Fan shroud/parts cooler https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2429054 and using a 40mm fan on the MP Select Mini V2 printer. Fortunately the winglets fit perfectly on that printer. Used PETG for this go round. Printing the right winglet now. After it completes I will switch back to the PLA+ and try to dial it in. PETG retraction is a bit tricky on the MP since it has a bowden extruder. Part is absolutely usable but there are more blobs than I would like. We'll see how the right turns out first though, because I did change from random start points to quickest, which should get rid of the majority of the retraction globs.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I haven't printed an epsilon plane yet. that looks pretty good. nice work. i am looking forward to seeing how it flies.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
@qwijibo - I run an upbox+ and for the most part it prints well - I think you were talking about this printer (MP10) and I am interested in your opinion? The upbox+ does not do raftless printing very well (or I can't get it to)!
I have thought about picking up one of the MP10s, but have not done it yet. It looks like a really great printer on paper, especially for the price, and would love to have the extra build volume. Still trying to decide between it and spending $$$ on the latest Prusa.

LB

qwijibo

@qwijibo - I run an upbox+ and for the most part it prints well - I think you were talking about this printer (MP10) and I am interested in your opinion? The upbox+ does not do raftless printing very well (or I can't get it to)!

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on that particular printer. My first was the Mono Price Select Mini https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=21711&seq=1&format=2 . I've since moved to a Prusa i3 Mk2, and finally a Mk3 that I've been using for a couple years. You definitely pay a premium for the Prusa, but they have been rock solid for me. Other than a pinda probe failure (which they replaced quickly), no issues at all.

Oh, and the removable textured spring steel bed on the Mk3 works fantastic! I generally print PLA and PETG, but I've ever had any adhesion issues, and it pops right off when you bend it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Ok, new printer, MUCH better results. The wingtips have really been a struggle after multiple tries with different materials and settings. Real problems with layer cooling, and just plain inconsistency out of my printers.
LotsaFail.jpg

So I recently picked up a Monoprice MP10. Not the dream printer I had hoped for. The filament sensor didn't work right out of the box. Pulled it apart, and made some minor tweaks and cleaning so it ran smoothly. It also had issues where it would randomly quit heating the hotend. Traced that back to loose wires in the harness. On my first pass for the winglets, this comes out:
yayGoot.jpg

Almost perfect! I do need to tweak the raft settings and reprint the left side. It lifted just a bit off the raft so it is not flat where it needs to be glued.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited: