Eclipson Model V

qwijibo

Ok, new printer, MUCH better results. The wingtips have really been a struggle after multiple tries with different materials and settings. Real problems with layer cooling, and just plain inconsistency out of my printers.

So I recently picked up a Monoprice MP10. Not the dream printer I had hoped for. The filament sensor didn't work right out of the box. Pulled it apart, and made some minor tweaks and cleaning so it ran smoothly. It also had issues where it would randomly quit heating the hotend. Traced that back to loose wires in the harness. On my first pass for the winglets, this comes out:

Almost perfect! I do need to tweak the raft settings and reprint the left side. It lifted just a bit off the raft so it is not flat where it needs to be glued.

Cheers!
LitterBug
That's great, good luck with the new printer!

I recently finished printing a new plane ( https://3dlabprint.com/shop/joker/ ). still waiting on some electronics, but it's pretty close to done. :)

1590150260346.png

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Going back and reprinting a few parts that I was not 100% satisfied with the results. Have been tuning the MP10 and chasing a problem with the Hotend/temp sensor. Just unwrapped the whole hotend cable, reseated all the connectors, and made sure nothing has rubbed through and shorting to ground, then re-wrapped it and re-zip tied it. I've also upgraded to a bondtech extruder and Capricorn tubing. Did an auto PID tune on the Hotend and Heated bed. Found out that the "I" value returned by the autotune is off by a factor of 10X, and have made some manual adjustments to the PIDs. Temperatures reported by OctoPrint are now FLAT! :)
Screenshot from 2020-05-26 23-45-31.png

I really like the quality I am getting from the MP10, but can not recommend it to beginners. I've had a few nagging problems that others have had that kinda spoil the goodness of this printer. 1) Filament motion sensor needed rebuilt/fixed out of the box. 2) Random issues with Hotend not heating or stopped heating. 3) Random issues with the hotend temperature sensor not reporting correctly. 4) PID Autotune results are questionable. epecially I values which are of by 10X.

Hope to have some pics of things glued together by the end of the week.

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: ARRRRRGGGGHHH. spoke too soon. MP10 Hotend issues have returned yet again... >sigh<
Screenshot from 2020-05-26 23-54-09.png

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
@qwijibo - printing the model V using Inland pla+. Curious if you used carbon spars in the wing and tail? Also how is it holding up without landing gear?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have it all printed up but have not glued it yet. I have carbon spars for it since I plan to push it hard. They are not required for PLA and may revisit that after gluing. Although using spars while building may help hold parts in place while gluing. Really need to get back on this. Especially since I've been practicing gluing while building the Prandtl....

jpot1

Elite member
Thanks @LitterBug. Did you order from banggood/aliexpress like the links Eclipson has? I’m following your Prandtl build as well - very interested to see how that comes out.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Thanks @LitterBug. Did you order from banggood/aliexpress like the links Eclipson has? I’m following your Prandtl build as well - very interested to see how that comes out.
BuddyRC up the street from me carries SunnySky and I got the recommended motor from them.

LB

qwijibo

@qwijibo - printing the model V using Inland pla+. Curious if you used carbon spars in the wing and tail? Also how is it holding up without landing gear?

Yes, I used carbon rods in the wing and in the tail, although I glued the tail in place, rather than make it removable.

It’s held up quite well, even though I don’t use landing gear. I’ve had a few small cracks develop on the bottom of the wing, toward the middle, but they are easy to fix with some CA, and considering the quality of my landings, not unexpected. ;) By and large, other than dirt and marks on the wing servo covers and the nose right below the motor, it looks as good as the it did on its maiden.

jpot1

Elite member
Yes, I used carbon rods in the wing and in the tail, although I glued the tail in place, rather than make it removable.

It’s held up quite well, even though I don’t use landing gear. I’ve had a few small cracks develop on the bottom of the wing, toward the middle, but they are easy to fix with some CA, and considering the quality of my landings, not unexpected. ;) By and large, other than dirt and marks on the wing servo covers and the nose right below the motor, it looks as good as the it did on its maiden.

Thanks! Last question, where did you source your screws? Amazon has some m2x8 but without the washer, wasn’t sure if that was critical and I’d have to wait a month for aliexpress?

qwijibo

Thanks! Last question, where did you source your screws? Amazon has some m2x8 but without the washer, wasn’t sure if that was critical and I’d have to wait a month for aliexpress?

My screws don't have the washer either, but they work just fine. As long as there's a bit of a head you should be fine. Here's a pic of mine...
1597932273403.png

LitterBug

Techno Nut
@qwijibo,
I see you are using an aluminum spinner. I'm planning on doing the same. What length/pitch prop blades are you using?

Cheers!
LitterBug

qwijibo

@qwijibo,
I see you are using an aluminum spinner. I'm planning on doing the same. What length/pitch prop blades are you using?

Cheers!
LitterBug
I run a 9x6 graupner folding prop on the suggested SunnySky motor. I tend to use a 1000mah 3s pack to keep things light, and I set my alarm for 6 minutes, although I usually go a minute or two past that. I tend to do more slow cruising, but if you hit the throttle hard then flight times would obviously vary.

Although totally not necessary, I added an FT Aura Lite board. Does a great job on windy days, but it's not really necessary for this plane...I'll likely move it to another soon.

1597964451977.png

rmarkhuff

Hi, Anybody have guidance on the location of the CG for the Model V? I built one and getting ready to maiden her. But the CG marks on the wings seem quite far forward. If you built one, did you use the recommended CG ?

Attachments

• IMG_9455.jpg
    IMG_9455.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

qwijibo

Hi, Anybody have guidance on the location of the CG for the Model V? I built one and getting ready to maiden her. But the CG marks on the wings seem quite far forward. If you built one, did you use the recommended CG ?
Looks great, I like the color scheme.

I have the CG pretty much right on the marks. They do seem pretty far forward, but mine just took a few clicks of trim and it was flying great.

rmarkhuff

qwijibo thanks for the reply. This will help my confidence on the upcoming maiden. I have built and flown Model Ts and have always followed the CG marks to good results.

qwijibo

qwijibo do you have advise for the maiden?
I've found this to be a well behaved plane, and hand launches have been very easy. About 70% throttle and a gentle toss is all it takes. I spend most of my flights around 50% power and just cruise around. Definitely a floater on landing, so just make a nice long approach.