Eclipson Model Z

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ya, it is a bummer but what ya gonna do?

at least we got some good pics of it in the air.

DSC02570.jpg

DSC02587.jpg

DSC02592.jpg

laters,

me :cool:

bracesport

Legendary member
@mrjdstewart - sorry to see the destruction on the first trip out - I am looking at a modular build with a friend for a DS sloper to have replaceable sections - it is heavier gauge (1.5mm skins with chunky ribs) with two 3mm steel rods through the wing as tie bars - it is an experiment!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 2.53.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 2.53.53 PM.png
    805.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 3.43.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 3.43.33 PM.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 0

kilroy07

Legendary member
no i did not use their code, i just set everything manually. the silver filament is by far my fav. it has always been high quality for being PLA and does not seem to have a problem with grabbing ton's of moisture. the brand is "Dikale" and color is "silver." best of all it is CHEAP! LINKY

with that said, you may want to hold off for a bit. 3D printed planes are cool and the idea of them and the "just print a new part if you crash" sounds appealing, but in fact it is very impractical. once the plane is glued together you are not going to be able to just swap parts. if the plane crashes, chances are it will be totaled and you will just need to start all over.

don't ask me how i know...

View attachment 149615

i was 100% correct on my assessment of how the flight would go. 100% chance of flight, 75% chance of catastrophic failure. it took off and flew beautiful, took some trim to get it straight but once dialed in it looked beautiful in the sky. it had a very slow roll rate but with the use of the rudder improved significantly and was able to do a loop no probs. i had it in the air for about 4 mins when i decided to do a stall test before trying to land. the one thing i had heard about this model is that it had a nasty tip stall tendency and i want to find out what it did before i was too close to the ground to recover. so i pointed it towards the sky, pulled back the throttle and pulled on the elevator. all was good, then it tipped hard left and went into a death spiral almost immediatly. i pointed the nose at the ground, gave it some throttle, and tried to pull out. about half way to the ground the right wing folded (damn orange filament) and the rest was inevitable.

i think i will maybe try and print another in just silver but it may be a bit. this took multiple days to print and assemble and only getting 1 flight is just too much work. we will see...

laters,

Awe man, that sucks!!! (we need a dislike button!...)
A quick question, was it layer adhesion or did the wing separate on a glue joint?

I picked up two spools of the LW-PLA during the black Friday sales... Be a couple weeks before they arrive.
Been itching to try that out in the mean time I have all this printed out and ready to go...
IMG_9930[1].JPG
Just have to find a block of time to get it all together... Going with a F405 FC, GPS and bought a new RunCam split for it... Be pretty upset if I only got one flight from it...

But my enthusiasm for Eclipson has cooled a tad too, I asked if The Blackwing was a suitable candidate for the LW-PLA and they said sure, and they would probably have G-Code files released soon, BUT (and here's the part that rubs me the wrong way) that those files would not be made available to persons (like myself) who already bought the files (Did I mention it went on sale for $10 cheaper the week AFTER I paid?!)... They also have pretty vague instructions, not a huge fan of the TAB alignment system and hate the tape hinges.... So I probably won't be getting the Z after all.

I have the files for the 3D lab print PT-17, Maybe I need to start printing that one out... (huh, wonder if it would work with the LW-PLA...) :unsure:

Again, sorry to hear of the loss...

kilroy07

Legendary member
3D printed planes are cool and the idea of them and the "just print a new part if you crash" sounds appealing, but in fact it is very impractical. once the plane is glued together you are not going to be able to just swap parts. if the plane crashes, chances are it will be totaled and you will just need to start all over.
Have you thought about acetone for disassembly? It shouldn't affect the PLA.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am sure there are ways to segment out glued pieces like @kilroy07 suggested, would be a shame to have to print a whole new plane, cool thing is though you have the plans for life. Maybe even print 2 or more of everything to keep as quick grab spares.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
It is a sexy bird though, gotta say. I was also looking at their wings like @kilroy07 is building. They have some nice designs.

yes she is. i was wrong, it was the left wing that folded. you can actually see in the middle pic the left wing has a rather peculiar shape to it.

- it is heavier gauge (1.5mm skins with chunky ribs) with two 3mm steel rods through the wing as tie bars - it is an experiment!

ya, i think this model would do well with a carbon rod or two.

A quick question, was it layer adhesion or did the wing separate on a glue joint?

ya, it was layer adhesion. i tried several temps and outputs but it just never wanted to layer well. this was my concern from the start and a smart man would have just thrown in the towel and printed with another filament. well, i'm not dumb but i am stubborn. :ROFLMAO:

i looked at their wing as well but, i have built sooooooooooooooo many foam board wings that are tough as nails, fly perfect, cheap as dirt, and take me 2hrs from start to finish. to me it just wasn't logical time wise or financially smart. i thought if this one (Model Z) went well i would take another look maybe but i really doubt i will ever at this point.

with that said i also at this point can't blame the makers. i knew the print was sub-par, it was my fault. that is why i just started printing another that will be solid silver and i will add reflective tape to. ;)

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Have you thought about acetone for disassembly? It shouldn't affect the PLA.

i had not, but plan to try and see what i can do with the wrecked fuse and what will work if anything. the 2 rear fuse sections, vert, and horz stabs is good. that would save me about 9hrs of printing.

thanks for the suggestion.

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
well, so far i have tried what i got and nothing has worked. denatured alcohol and carb cleaner can be scratched off the list. will try and find some pure acetone (beauty supply?) because my daughters nail polish remover did not, or maybe try some Goof Off.

it would be nice to save this section.

20191201_143535.jpg

like i said i have already started the next print. i am currently using;

Creality CR-10S+ w/PLA, Simplify3D as my slicer, Eclipson's print settings, and it is almost 18hrs in total time to print just the fuselage. :eek:

laters,

kilroy07

Legendary member
well, so far i have tried what i got and nothing has worked. denatured alcohol and carb cleaner can be scratched off the list. will try and find some pure acetone (beauty supply?) because my daughters nail polish remover did not, or maybe try some Goof Off.

it would be nice to save this section.

View attachment 149645

like i said i have already started the next print. i am currently using;

Creality CR-10S+ w/PLA, Simplify3D as my slicer, Eclipson's print settings, and it is almost 18hrs in total time to print just the fuselage. :eek:

laters,

Try the paint department at your local Lowes/Menards, you should find a quart can of it (much better than nail polish remover which probably has oils in it.) I have not tried goof-off... does it affect cyanoacrylate glues?

Did you tweak the default Slicer settings?
I just restored mine (long story) from the Simplify defaults and a simple part for an extruder (back plate; https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3856703) took 13hrs! :oops: (It is absolutely gorgeous though...) :LOL:

Getting ready to tackle my own CR-10 class machine (with a "few" mods... Of course.) ;)

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
nope. i have the custom settings in place but on this current print i increased my flow rate to 110% and it seems to have made a huge improvement. we will see.

as for printer improvements, i haven't done anything other than replace a nozzle or two. i ordered quieter fans for the box but haven't bothered to replace the stock ones yet. they are a little noisy but i don't care. when they fail i have spares. i have been a little annoyed by the filament feed so i did order this the other day... Extruder Drive.

laters,

kilroy07

Legendary member
nope. i have the custom settings in place but on this current print i increased my flow rate to 110% and it seems to have made a huge improvement. we will see.

as for printer improvements, i haven't done anything other than replace a nozzle or two. i ordered quieter fans for the box but haven't bothered to replace the stock ones yet. they are a little noisy but i don't care. when they fail i have spares. i have been a little annoyed by the filament feed so i did order this the other day... Extruder Drive.

laters,

(y)
Yup, that was the FIRST upgrade I did to my Ender-3...
Capricorn Tubing/replacing the pneumatic couplings was second.
Printed upgrades to the feed path were third; (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3209211 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3061551)

I ordered a second Ender-3 on Black Friday... with Hotel "points" it was less than $100!!!
Happen to have all the necessary parts to get it in shape as well... Soon I'll have a Farm of two Ender-3s and a CR-10! (Muha ha ha!)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
first new print looks awesome, and this was the stuff i thought looked good before. cross fingers. (y)

20191201_164456.jpg

i also went and dug through my filament pile and found this... orange PLA+ :). i plan on trying the old stuff again on some test prints but at worst case i will switch and i know thins prints well.

20191201_164700.jpg

based upon how well these first 2 new prints are going i decided to bail on the "rescue" the tail plan and instead turn it into sculpture. i trimmed the remaining wing tip to fit the fuselage and glued it on. :ROFLMAO: i'm calling it "Broken Shark" and it has given me an inspiration for my next custom design... :LOL: :unsure:;)

20191201_175723.jpg

...because i need another distraction. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

laters,

Keno

Working on the "Y" version. I tried it with Prusa default settings and changed the infill and material type with a brim came out nice looking. Then I down loaded Cura for Prusa MK3 and used Eclipson setting, much better and lighter. Probable stick with that for completion. I am using PLA and PET for some parts. We'll see how this turns out.

bracesport

Legendary member
I am making some progress now with the Spitfire wings. They do not recommend ABS for this build, but I have heaps of stock so what the heck! Weight is probably up 1.5x, but the finish is lovely! :D

IMG_8017.JPG
IMG_8020.JPG

quimney

Sorry about your plane...I printed the eclipson... twice. It taught me alot about tip stall... twice :( After viewing the video I can see that it did warn me but I was too excited to recognize what I was seeing. I agree with you about the visions of being able to just print some new parts. I had the same visions but they were shattered on contact with the ground. I'm going to print it one more time. I'll do one fast trip around the field, land it if I can and then hang it from the ceiling :)

Attachments

• IMG_5589.JPG
    IMG_5589.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5593.JPG
    IMG_5593.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7401.JPG
    IMG_7401.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0