Eclipson PRADNDTL V2 Build Log

Spitfire76

I purchased the files for the
https://www.eclipson-airplanes.com/prandtl
in December of 2021 but only got as far as printing the parts. Its one of those projects that got preempted by other projects but I have been recently inspired to complete it by this challenge.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/2023-spring-sprint-wrap-up-challenge.72822/
which I learnt about on
https://aviationrcnoob.com/ep-70-special-guest-tony-lewis-finish-what-you-started/

I had never heard of the Prandtl until I listened to this early episode of the AvaitionRCnoob's podcast episode 25.
https://aviationrcnoob.com/ep-25-nasa-with-special-guest-red-jensen-part-1/

Last edited:

Spitfire76

Printed these awhile back and looks like at least one part of the right wing is missing. Looks like I maybe have duplicated another part of the right wing instead. I have leant since that it always good to label the parts as they are printed.

IMG_3856.jpg

Spitfire76

Since the printed parts are not assembled I will document the weights. I am not saying that these are the correct weights its just the weights that I have.

I did notice that the profile parameters are not always the same between Eclipson models. For example on this model the A_LW speed is 40mm/s but more recent models that I've built like the model B have a higher speed of 55mm/s and since speed, flow rate and temperature determines the foaming density it could make a difference in strength and or weight.

Weight (g)

Notes

WingC

A

Printed with regular PLA as per drawing but build video looks like LW-PLA ?

Wing1L and Wing1R

A-LW

Wing2L and Wing2R

A-LW

Wing3L and Wing3R

A-LW

Wing4L and Wing4R

A-LW

Elevon_1L and Elevon_1R

B-LW

6 bottom layers

Elevon_2L and Elevon_2R

A-LW

Elevon_3L and Elevon_3R

<1

A-LW

Keel_L and Keel_R

to be continued......

Last edited:

Spitfire76

Tried to print the missing Wing1R but got a "Temp fall" error about 75% of the way through. I've had a few of these recently on my old Robo 3D R1 +. I had replaced the stock hot end with a E3D V6 Lite awhile ago and it has been working fine for quite sometime. I believe that the error means that the detected temperature of the hot end has fallen below a certain limit. Not going to trouble shoot as I recently purchased a Bambu Lab's P1P but have yet to print with LW-PLA using the recommended settings of the Eclipson A-LW profile but I guess its time to try. The reason for still printing LW-PLA on the R1+ is that I had the A-LW profile all setup in Cura but the P1P's slicer is Bambu Studio that is based on the Prusa slicer.

Spitfire76

Not having much luck with printing the ColorFabb's LW-PLA on the Bambu Lab's P1P so tried again on the old Robo 3D R1 + and it printed without errors this time. So now have all the parts printed so can get on with assembly.

Spitfire76

I had previously printed WingC with regular PLA as per the drawing category but noticed that in their build video it looks like they printed it in LW. Also there is a large gap where it joins Wing1R which must have been due to a bit of warping on that side of WingC. I may try printing it again but do I use LW-PLA or regular ?

IMG_3866.jpg

Spitfire76

I had previously printed WingC with regular PLA as per the drawing category but noticed that in their build video it looks like they printed it in LW. Also there is a large gap where it joins Wing1R which must have been due to a bit of warping on that side of WingC. I may try printing it again but do I use LW-PLA or regular ?

View attachment 236192
Trying to printer another WingC but on my P1P but running into problems. Using Bambu Lab's White Matte PLA (not LW) and getting gaps in areas where the outer wall connects with inner supports despite having the "Slice gap closing radius" set to 0 instead of 0.049 as per
but looks like I may also need to add "M900 K0" at the end of the custom code.

Last edited:

Spitfire76

Adding "M900 K0" to the end of the custom start gcode as well as setting the "Slice gap closing radius" to 0 did resolve the problem of the outer wall and internal support not connecting. Eclipson's FAQ pointed this out as a change required when using the Prusa Slicer but since the Bambu Slicer is based on the Prusa its needed also.

So moving along and now have the elevons installed although I find it a bit messy with having to use tape for the hinges. I like the 3d printed hinges used on some of their later models. Also their most recent models use small TPU printed hinges which would be nice to have on a V3 version of this model.