• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ECOMRC Miss Elaine

IamNabil

Senior Member
#21
It goes into that slot, right? If you seat it against the edge of the slot furthest from the hinge line, the bottom hole will be above the hinge. At least, it looks that way.
 

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
#22
I got the control horns sorted finally! I plugged the slot with a popsicle stick wood glued in place, then marked the new holes I needed to drill. I drilled pilot holes then ran the screw into the holes, then hardened with thin CA. Let sit for ten minutes then I put some thik CA on the screws before I attached the horn. It's not going anywhere lol.



 

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
#23
Before I install the elevator/rudder I'm going to mount the engine. This way I can stand the fuse on end and not worry about damaging the tail end.

The firewall came with what looks like gray primer already applied.



I'm going to fuel proof the firewall still since it's kind of dry with a epoxy diluted with denatured alcohol. I went ahead and extended the center lines all the way out to help line up the engine. I'll drill the holes and add the blind nuts after the epoxy that way I won't get drips inside the fuselage.

 

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
#32
I tried some of those point hinges (the hobbyking versions) and I love them. I used them on foam stuff and they were great. Much more solid control than the tape hinges I had been using. I'm going to use them when I get around to doing the flap mods to my balsa cub. I love point hinges.
 

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
#33
By far the worst part of the build so far was the tail wheel. This part would have sucked even if the factory tail wheel hadn't broke.

I should've used a bracket that screws to the bottom of the fuselage instead of trying to make the factory method work. Like this one on my Tiger Moth:



This way seems like there's more slop in the tail wheel gear with the factory setup.



And because of this, I couldn't get the hinge line any closer together than this:

 

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
#34
OK, on to the next problem...30" of unsupported push rod.



I'm going to replace as much of that length as I can with 5/16" arrow shaft (just b/c I have a bunch laying around).



 

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
#40
Not much room to screw down the servos. I got the pilot holes drilled and hardened but I keep stripping the heads of the included phillips servos mounting screws.



I got a pack of 100 of these from RTL Fasteners so I can use a ball driver or at least the short end of an allen wrench. In hindsight, they were even cheaper from Micro Fasteners.



I'm going to run to the local hobby shop to see if they have any so I don't have to wait a week just to mount my servos. If they do, I'll have the extra for the next build.