ECOMRC Miss Elaine

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Still couldn't get it to run past idle. I took it to a friend who's been in the hobby for over 30 years and within five minutes he had the engine running thru the full throttle range. The only problem was that it would randomly die...and sometimes backfire. After finding play in the prop shaft it was his diagnosis that the bearings are shot in this engine (I did get it used from someone on RCUniverse after all). He said he wouldn't trust a plane to that engine and that was all I needed to hear. Monday I'm calling my rep over at Global Hobby/HobbyPeople and ordering a new Magnum .52 four stroke. After shipping it will only be around $10 more to get the Magnum over an ASP from HobbyKing.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/magnum-xl-52-rfs-blue-r-c-4-stroke-engine.html

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Dang - can the bearings be replaced?
Maybe. His thought was that this engine has been in a few crashes. Anyway, after doing some digging I found out that the ASP .65 four stroke used the same crankcase as the .91, making this a very heavy engine for it's size. As a comparison the ASP/Magnum .61 four stroke only weighs about half what the .65 does. This would be why this plane was coming out way nose heavy even with an empty tank. Also I found that the .65 was discontinued around approx the year 2000. So that makes mine at least 12 years old. it's apparently had a hard life lol.

With a flying weight stated in the manual of 4.6lbs, the .52 four stroke will be plenty of power + the .52 uses the same prop for break in (12x6) as I had on the .65.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I see... Well, then I'd say it was a good choice to get the newer motor. How long till you get it?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
It's here!!! YAY! It's packed nicely and much smaller than the ASP .65.

n7HQb.jpg

rRgbi.jpg

gluCu.jpg

A1tM7.jpg

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Miss Elaine is under a heart transplant ... we cheer for her and a quick recovery !!

get well (in the air) soon !!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Miss Elaine is under a heart transplant ... we cheer for her and a quick recovery !!

get well (in the air) soon !!
Too funny! That'll be the last time I buy a used engine. This should have been in the air last weekend. I'm going to get the engine mounted on the plane tonight (I hope), then break it tomorrow afternoon. I plan on getting some video of the break in.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I was extremely nervous about buying used planes with used engines. Fortunately my first plane came from my brother and he knew all the previous owners. Unfortunately, my second plane with used engine suffered an in flight failure while inverted resulting in severe and massive damage to the airframe.

I always say it's worth paying a little more for peace of mind.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I always say it's worth paying a little more for peace of mind.
This is true. The $50 I paid for the bad engine could have covered half of the new engine. Speaking of which, the new one is way smaller than the old. I did find out though, that the old ASP .65 used a crank case from the .91 size ASP four stroke...no wonder it's so much bigger.

k7W55.jpg

frGBb.jpg

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's a great looking engine. I've shelved my rebuild until winter but I still can't wait to get my hands on a magnum .91
The asp is pretty similar to the magnum except for the carb. What differences have you found?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The asp is pretty similar to the magnum except for the carb. What differences have you found?
ASP and Magnum are supposedly the same. The Magnum name being what they're called for the USA market and the ASP for Asia and the rest of the world. What I found out after doing some digging on another forum was that they're both manufactured by Sanye. ASP is their house brand and Magnum is produced to customer specification. The difference being in fit and material use, even if, sometimes Sanye uses the same dies.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I have found that to be the case in other things as well. They may be produced the same but the per spec item will be a better quality. Not saying that's the case here. I love deals, especially when I can get the same product for less because of the name but I'm always leery of a deal that's too good. Hopefully ASP will prove to be a quality unit. If the starts aligned and I won a lottery I would run nothing but SAITO engines but they're just so expensive.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Speaking of cases, I am planning on getting the .91 magnum for my four star and I was thinking about putting a .70 on my super cub to replace the .46 two stroke. However, the .70 weights 21.2 oz and the .91 weighs 22.4 oz. I think they did the same thing with the case and the weight is probably in the muffler. So, the cub is going to become a rocket ship with a .91 on it next summer. That should help it pull floats, cameras, drop modules and anything else I feel like strapping on board.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I have found that to be the case in other things as well. They may be produced the same but the per spec item will be a better quality. Not saying that's the case here. I love deals, especially when I can get the same product for less because of the name but I'm always leery of a deal that's too good. Hopefully ASP will prove to be a quality unit. If the starts aligned and I won a lottery I would run nothing but SAITO engines but they're just so expensive.
I went ahead and got the Magnum b/c after shipping it was only about $10 more than the ASP. All parts and warranty service is done here in the USA (it carries a one year warranty btw). One fellow at our club told me that he had bought an old worn out, second hand Magnum engine and mailed it to Magnum for refurbishment. Magnum repaired the engine at no charge and mailed it back to him. Sounds like an OK company.

I'll post some video later of it running on the test stand for break in.