ECOMRC Miss Elaine

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Thanks, that's a PSP test stand screwed to an old Black and Decker workmate bench.

15915.jpg

The new Magnum 52 is narrower than the ASP 65 so I plugged the blind nut holes I drilled in the firewall so I can mount the new engine.

PTeqU.jpg

I also lost the crank case vent nipple somehow. It was probably loose and I didn't check it before the break in. Anyhow, the break in is complete. The manual said that it only needs 45 minutes of run time for break in. 10 minutes of open throttle then 10 minutes cool down.

q1Y0o.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The hole as to stay open. On an inverted mounted engine most people put a length of fuel tube on it and run it out the bottom of the cowl so it doesn't blow fuel/oil inside the cowl. Also that gets it out of the prop wash cause you don't want debris getting in the hole.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
So close to being finished! It was still nose heavy with an empty fuel tank and the new, smaller engine. To keep from adding lead to the tail I made what we will call a "tray" lol for the battery and the RX.

2aldE.jpg

With the battery and RX in this location, it balanced pretty much where it needed to be, I think, with just a slight nose down with an empty tank.

13mLE.jpg

I also had to relocate the fuel filler b/c it was too low and would siphon fuel out until I got the cap screwed in. I went ahead and replaced the old vintage one with a new style fuel dot cause that matched what's on the fuel pump on my field box.

whyjc.jpg

o9xkx.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
We got the engine running OK. I ordered a switchglo onboard glo system as some added insurance so the engine will stay running at low idle. The main benefit will be that I won't need to attach the glow plug lighter since this plane has a cowl. I just flip a switch of the TX and the glo is lit. You can also create a throttle mix that will turn on the onboard glo at low throttle so you can reliably get a lower idle RPM.

Pro-graph-1m.gif

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
cool system. I've seen those advertised but never in person. I'd sure like to hear a review of it when you're up and running.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
It works like a charm! I have it programmed to the gear switch on my Turnigy 9x. When I throw the switch it lights the glo plug. The SwitchGlo emits a light and an audible alert to let you know the glo plug is lit. I have it mixed so when I'm above 25% throttle the unit turns off. Below 25% and it turns back on. It uses the RX battery for power.

gTGub.jpg

Here's the other end that connects to the glo plug. This will make it nice not to have to fiddle with the glo plug stick to start the engine since this plane has a cowl.

7Vh4z.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
OK, I did the maiden flight yesterday. I LOVE THIS PLANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The onboard glow worked flawlessly. The engine didn't dead stick. It tracked perfectly on the ground and didn't veer to the left like most planes I have seem to do. In the air, the balance was perfect and it didn't even need any trim. It flew absolutely amazing. This is my favorite plane I've assembled yet. Oh, and sounds awesome in the air!

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Thanks, guys! I don't really have a good video camera to film planes with and no one seems to bring one with them to the field when they fly. I have a Flip Mino HD camera and it just doesn't seem to zoom much so the plane becomes a spec in the sky.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
... I have a Flip Mino HD camera and it just doesn't seem to zoom much so the plane becomes a spec in the sky.
Then you have to fly low and slow.
Like we had to do last saturday in the mist - sight 20 meters but only 10 meters up..
100_9688.JPG 100_9676.JPG

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Thanks, I'm loving that four stroke! I have some minor finishing up I need to do. First, since I'm using a LiFe battery for the RX and I mounted the battery so far back in the fuse for balance, I had to order a balance extension cable since so I can plug the balance lead into my charger without having to removed the battery every time. Second I need to order either a 90 deg. adapter for the muffler or maybe just an extension to limit the size of the hole I'll need to cut in the cowl. Third will be to get the cowl mounted. I chose to fly the first several flights without in case more tuning is needed.

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Yet another for my "want" list. The price is very attractive and replacement parts :eek: are quite reasonable. I'm a bit intimidated by nitro/gas engines. I just don't have any experience with them. Pilot 294 donated a Thunder Tiger 40 to my RC club at school. I rebuilt it, but haven't flown it yet simply due to no experience with engines. And that thick prop makes me very nervous! There seems to be a fair amount of fiddling around near it required. I envision the glow plug heater thingy falling into the prop and whacking me in the head! Scary!