ECOMRC Miss Elaine

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I just got this in the other day and there's pretty much nothing online about it. I started a thread over at RCGroups but it's not getting any love :) . It comes equipped for glow or electric power so there is a battery/fuel tank hatch. It calls for a .52 thru .70 4c glow so I have an ASP .65 four stroke I plan on using. this will be my first glow plane btw. I'll get some more photos up of the contents as I unbox it.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ECOMMISSELA-73AAF.html. Not a bad deal, $159 for a 73" plane.

ECOMMISSELA-73AAF_400x300.jpg

ECOMMISSELA-73AAF.jpg

D267A8FA-A825-4F16-A8AC-EDFD7231E5DA-5152-000008D1010F0C08.jpg

earthsciteach

That is a nice looking airplane. The cowl looks like a Fairchild, but from there back, it looks like nothing I've seen before. If this isn't modeled after a full sized plane, someone should build it.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Nice! Maiden date?
I'm hoping to build this one pretty quick. The instruction manual is pretty short.

The parts are individually packed very well.

0633E485-6725-4358-81AC-F31BCE24EDE8-5152-00000A6B2752388E.jpg

I'm glad the covering is a nice retro cream color instead of white like on the stock photos. I love the shape of that wing!

3DB1E6EE-BFA7-4CC9-B776-315B11BCDD91-5152-00000A6DC82C1975.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I got the ailerons hinged and the servo attached to each wing and now I've run into the first hitch.

D06E276C-AB19-4444-A85D-799FC1C7966C-5152-00000A719E4BFEDC.jpg

This is the control horn provided for the ailerons. To me they seem too tall and they don't line up with the hinge line.

758D418B-527A-4DE7-9012-3BDF43CF8C47-5152-00000A71A4FBA32A.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
You can't tell about the length of the horns - maybe you need that increased torque or reduced throw? But yes the holes must line up with the hingeline.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
You can always drill an extra hole over the hinge line in that horn and then experiment with "best position".

Thurmond

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I was considering something... Are the servos under or on top of the wings? It might have been made that way to add some difference 'yall (differential). I have no idea.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The servos are on the bottom of the wing. This control horn is so darn tall that the push rod will be at such a high angle I would be concerned about it binding where it connects to the servo arm. I think I'm going to ditch these weird control horns and use the nylon horns that came with my other .40 size planes.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's a really beautiful plane. Kind of reminds me of one of the classic style sig planes I've been drooling over. I can't wait to see it fly.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Naturally - the horn is designed for the differential. There is an early episode of Flite Test explaining just this. The plane really needs this to fly proper. DONT do anything else than the manual says regarding this!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Naturally - the horn is designed for the differential. There is an early episode of Flite Test explaining just this. The plane really needs this to fly proper. DONT do anything else than the manual says regarding this!

Yeah, I figured that... You better trust this guy, bm!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The manual states to set the travel for both the right/left ailerons at 40mm up and 40mm down. No mention of differential.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Well then try to fly it with +-40 mm and se how it behaves.
The looks of the plane - oldtimer - cub style - all indicates that it should hava a lot of differential and "the old way" to do that was with that kind of aileron horn.
It is really fun to see the pilot when the plane turns up and left when you expect it to turn right when you bank it.

What kind of wing profile does the Miss use? If it is symmetrical then there is not much need for differential, but if the bottom is almost flat then .....

Like a "Hempel Cub" - it is a cub looking 3D plane that has almost no character of the original cub.

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I'm going to go with the advice I've always heard when building Chinese ARF's...Throw the hardware out! I'll use regular control horns and set the travel to +/-40mm and see how she behaves. I can always program differential if needed. It has a mostly flat bottom wing BTW.