ECOMRC Miss Elaine

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
OK, as far as I'm concerned, these are the BEST servo screws EVER!!!! I've been using the Philips servo screws that come in the package with new servos and it seems like I always strip one or two out every model. Not anymore!!

IMG_3236.jpg

The servos got a little dusty from drilling the hole in the firewall for the throttle linkage.

IMG_3238.jpg

Dubro ball link...zero slop.

IMG_3239.jpg

The angle of the throttle push rod leaves just enough room to not make contact with the fuel tank.

IMG_3240.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Landing gear installed

K3otQ.jpg

CUj1V.jpg

I had to cinch the wires together b/c they kept wanting to slide out of the fuselage before the epoxy dried.

Ld4SH.jpg

ylttj.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I found this old fuel filler in a box of RC hardware I inherited from a club member who died last year. I thought it matched the retro looks of this plane.

O5GKI.jpg

I'll have to patch that hole. It was a pre drilled hole and I was hoping I'd be able to use it but the landing gear got in the way.

ZkYRO.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Yeah if I can get her started. It just wants to sputter and run for about three seconds then I cant get her to do anything.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Having the engine inverted may cause you some trouble. Have you bench ran the engine at all? I hear that's the best way to do a proper break in.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
She is really beautiful... can't wait to see the maiden! Hope you get that engine issue sorted...

How much time left do you think you have?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Various stages of high and low needle valve adjustment. When I get it started (which is happening more frequently now) it won't advance past idle. One click of throttle and it dies.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
That's the no. 1 reason I'm not into fuel engines.
Yeah, I was thinking today that this plane would be in the air already if I had gone electric. Here's how I see it though: Problem #1 is it's my first ever glow engine. Problem #2 is it's a four stroke engine. Problem #3 is that I bought this engine used. My first gas plane that I've been flying this summer has given me no problems at all for the most part...prime it, hit it with the electric starter and it stays on all day without a hitch.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
First let me say that nitro engines are just another challenge. They have their rewards and their drawbacks like anything else. I think we should be supportive of each segment of the hobby and not have a see I told you so attitude when someone has trouble.

Now that that's out of the way......

I don't see any smoke coming out of your exhaust. Nitro engines need to smoke a bit. Here's a rule I learned long ago from nitro guys. To check your mixture at idle, pinch the fuel line with it running. It should take about 2 seconds for the engine to die. If it dies right away it's too lean. That would be my first guess. If it takes 5 or 6 seconds to die then it's too rich.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
looking good !! when i mounted my quad it took me almost 3 months to learn how to program the board to make it fly ...

challenges make this hobby interesting; go for it !

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I'm sure my problem is the low speed needle valve. I goofed and screwed it all the way in before I realized what it was. I found the manual and it says the factory low speed needle setting is to open the throttle all the way then turn the needle in until it stops, then turn it out two complete turns. I'll do this and see if it starts tomorrow after work.