EDF afterburner

Plane

Hi
im building an Afterburner using a stun gun module, would BBQ lighter fluid work if I was to spray it towards the spark gap?
many thanks

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I think the advantage of using butane like they did here was the ability to burn it while in a gas state. If it is liquid, you may get lingering burn.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would say any fluid that burns would be bad on a foam airframe as they are usually petroleum based. The slightest amount on it risks melting the foam and or surface burning any liquid that gets on the foam.

Gas will either burn or not but it wont get on the foam and hold fire on the structure itself. In any case make sure you insulate the portion where the after burn will take place well.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Gotta be careful building a flying fuel tank with an ignition source, wouldn't want to end up on any "lists" 🤣😉

20210724_070407.jpg

quorneng

Master member
Apart from creating an effect making an after burner that actually generates more thrust is pretty complex.

earthsciteach

The Viggen's afterburner set-up did generate extra thrust. Definitely not efficiently, but that could be improved by tuning the shape of the thust tube and outlet.