EDF Basic Trainer by Hai-Lee

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Many people learn to fly on the venerable Tiny trainer but the step to an EDF is quite a large one especially in speed, weight, and maneuverability. As it just so happens I have an EDF unit to hand with an ESC but it is only rated to 3S so it had me thinking what would be suitable to test this unit and so the idea of a reaction trainer started to gel.

I needed a really stable platform that would handle and perform with low levels of thrust BUT be capable of handling some real thrust when a decent EDF unit is fitted!

So the plan is in work with the build has started!

Due to time and other constraints the EDF trainer will now be Tiny Trainer based so that those using the TIny Trainer can add an EDF unit and continue the flying experience. As the TT is not large the ideal EDF size would be in the vicinity of 50mm though I will do this build using the 64mm EDF unit I have to hand.

Specifications:
Made optional (Tricycle undercarriage with nose wheel steering)
EDF unit: 63 mm unless alternate required!
Wing Span:
Weight:
Length:
Battery: 3S (Up to 2200mA/Hr)
Servos: 9 gram - 2 of.

Photo

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Build

For this setup you will require a FT Tiny Trainer glider nose, Tail boom complete, and a 3 channel glider wing.

The glider nose section will require some minor modifications/additions so if possible either leave the glider nose section build until you are ready to convert the plane to EDF power OR scratch build a fresh nose section incorporating the changes proposed herein.

Additionally I shall be adding simple dihedral reinforcements just in case, you should not need them if your wing is properly build but I just love making my wings stronger than they normally need to be.

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Are you going to do a design where the EDF is mounted inside the fuse, like most fighter jets, or an external mount like my Grunjet?

This project looks really cool, and I wish you luck!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Are you going to do a design where the EDF is mounted inside the fuse, like most fighter jets, or an external mount like my Grunjet?

This project looks really cool, and I wish you luck!!
I am somewhat undecided on the EDF position as it is still somewhat unresolved but at this time there is a possibility I might do both and do a fly off to see which is best suited to my idea of a true trainer both in performance and in ease of build.

Might even go the route of a mount position similar to the He162 and similar.

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I was just going to suggest that! :LOL:
(I do have it in the back of my head that the 162 was reported to be not an easy plane to fly though....) But that tail would look cool.
The 162 was horrific considering it was flown by effectively children with a few hours glider experience.

I would not be using the twin tail as the exhaust gases from an EDF are a lot cooler than from a real jet engine. One advantage would be the rudder being blown even when taxiing so I would not need a steerable nose wheel!

Just design thoughts!

have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sadly it is stalled by the local RC expert and his loyal monkey troop.
Too much to go into here but the SUPREME Court will sort them out.
Funny thing about experts is that their egos get in the road of the facts and the laws:LOL:.
Anyway still definitely in the pipeline though it may take a while courts move so slow!

Have fun!

leaded50

Legendary member
Sadly it is stalled by the local RC expert and his loyal monkey troop.
Too much to go into here but the SUPREME Court will sort them out.
Funny thing about experts is that their egos get in the road of the facts and the laws:LOL:.
Anyway still definitely in the pipeline though it may take a while courts move so slow!

Have fun!

Bananas normally function well for monkey troops, and some peel laying around could help too... ;)