EDF formboard planes

docque

Any free DTFB plans for a small EDF? Going to be a long Winter and wanted something to play with.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Anything that @Mid7night has done is fantastic. The F-16 is my personal favorite. I have a bunch of stick time in on the one that I have right now and I'll be building another one over winter. There's a few other EDF style trainers that community members have come up with over that past few months that all look fairly promising. If you've got the time and space, I'd highly recommend Ben's F-16. It's such a great flyer that can slow down incredibly well. It high alphas at about 45* and pretty much hovers. His A-4 is another great choice. It won't slow down as nicely, but it is smaller and flies about as fast. Just expect to carry more throttle. Skins are available for both of those planes too, so if you're a fan of the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds either one can be done easily.

jaredstrees

Grifflyer has a good one on the forums here called the grunjet. I'll try and find the thread. Flies great and is super simple to build. I've found it to be a great trainer.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If you are looking for plans, take a look at the Viggen it's made for an EDF. I'm planning to put an EDF in a FT-22 Raptor this winter. One of my buddies put an EDF on a Versa, it flew well. I would not let the lack of plans hold back your imagination.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I agree with AkimboGlueGuns in that all Mid7night's jets are AMAZING, but I find the 70mm EDF units a bit expensive so if you wanted to try a cheaper option you could go with a 50mm EDF design. There is a few that I know off the top of my head
  • An EDF glider
  • A mirage the mirage was released as a pusher prop plane but I believe Airc pirates has the beta plans for the edf version and I'm sure he will be willing to email them to you.
  • A Goshawk now this one hasn't been released yet but I've built one of the beta versions and it flies great!
  • An F-86
Then as jaredtrees mentioned the Grunjet I made and I'm currently finishing up a L-39.

jaredstrees

I've built the mirage from Airc pirates, but the 50mm fan to go in it is from the grunjet. So no flight experience on it. It is a bit smaller so I imagine it will be a bit more interesting to fly. Looking forward to the L-39!

Whatever you build, have fun!

Brett_N

Viggen. It looks complicated but is one of the most gentle flying planes I've ever had, but crank it up on a 4S and it goes like a rocket.

I've used a bunch of these $25 EDF units witha 60A cheapo ESC from Banggood and not had a single issue yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWJ43QR/?tag=lstir-20

https://www.banggood.com/Hobbywing-...-p-1039598.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

If you are dead-set on a 50mm go with the grunjet, OR - build a Mini-Arrow and mount the EDF pod on top. I've got a Versa Wing with a 70mm EDF in it and it's a beast. Flies fairly slow but makes a ton of noise :)

JTarmstr

Elite member
Viggen. It looks complicated but is one of the most gentle flying planes I've ever had, but crank it up on a 4S and it goes like a rocket.

I've used a bunch of these $25 EDF units witha 60A cheapo ESC from Banggood and not had a single issue yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWJ43QR/?tag=lstir-20

https://www.banggood.com/Hobbywing-...-p-1039598.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

If you are dead-set on a 50mm go with the grunjet, OR - build a Mini-Arrow and mount the EDF pod on top. I've got a Versa Wing with a 70mm EDF in it and it's a beast. Flies fairly slow but makes a ton of noise :)

The viggen is a beautiful EDF, I built one, the scratch build is not hard except on building the nose. the canards make handling and stall characteristics gentle. also decals look great on it.

jaredstrees

I've had plans cut out for the viggen for a couple weeks now. Ya'll are making me want to get to building. I believe the OP wanted a smaller plane, the viggen is a bit larger.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
MotionRC has a number of Cheap ($99) EDF units. I know it's not cheap.

There are plans for the lippisch-p13a by @Dr. Looping Looie. I ran into electronics issues before I could test that out. It is possible the Issue I have with it might be solved. (I will have to check the mail.)
I am building an IAR-99, for my 90mm edf, 80Aesc with 6S battery. you could always scale it down...

docque

Thanks to all for the replies looks like there are a bunch of choices. I may go a little cheap (Grunjet) to start. I tried building the Viggen as a pusher but I couldn't get the sides quite right. I may try again.
Smaller and easier to fly is better for me. Even though I have flown for over a year if I get anything with speed, my hands can't handle it.