EDF quadcopter

Trucker jeff

I am curious about something. Has anybody tried to use 4 EDF'S on a quad build? The thought that I had was to not just use thrust but also put a tilt on the EDFs to guide the quad as well as give it an enormous amount of speed. Anyways it was just a thought that has been running through my head for a while and I would love to see Josh build it.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I am curious about something. Has anybody tried to use 4 EDF'S on a quad build? The thought that I had was to not just use thrust but also put a tilt on the EDFs to guide the quad as well as give it an enormous amount of speed. Anyways it was just a thought that has been running through my head for a while and I would love to see Josh build it.
Seen a funky, swivel EDF tricopter...Skynet anyone??

Corbarrad

Hello Trucker jeff and welcome to the Forums.
Quads rely on The torque force of their motors for yaw steering and because of that you need to be able to change rpm very quickly.
EDFs on the other hand need a bit of spool time, which makes them less suitable for traditional quads.
I assume that's why the one in the video CaronlineTyler linked uses tilt rotors.