EDF- Twin VS Single

BayDesigns

I’m interested in building a scale F/A-18D further down the road. I like to plan far in advance, so here’s a question: obviously it’s not possible to run a single edf on something like a MiG-29, but could something like an F/A-18 be done with a single EDF? Would it benefit from 2 smaller units instead of one larger one, despite the added cost, shorter flight time, etc?

telnar1236

Elite member
I’m interested in building a scale F/A-18D further down the road. I like to plan far in advance, so here’s a question: obviously it’s not possible to run a single edf on something like a MiG-29, but could something like an F/A-18 be done with a single EDF? Would it benefit from 2 smaller units instead of one larger one, despite the added cost, shorter flight time, etc?
Really depends on how you set it up. Because of the efficiency losses with a bifurcated exhaust, two smaller units can be better than one larger unit for twin engine models, but it depends how well you can make everything fit together. It also depends on the scale. Going from an 80mm EDF to 2x 64mm EDFs will lose some efficiency, but it's doable. Going from a 50mm EDF to 2x 30mm EDFs is much worse.