Edge 540 Build

moke

Day -4. Hope to have my Edge 540 kit end of this week so I can get started on airframe. Using a few 'innards' that I have in my box from previous wrecks. So able to start today by putting together the electronics. 30 amp ESC. Motor from Dynam C47. 9g servos. Spektrum 4 channel sport receiver. All together and working well. Just need the kit now.
edge electronics.jpg

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
the 540 is a fun plane but has a few issues. most to do with the firewall motor box combo and what size motor to run. it is perfectly sized for a 28 series but most of them lack the power for true 3D flight so most go with a 32. if you go 32 then you have issues with too much power, weight, and torque for the motor box. spend some time and reinforce it the best you can. looking at your motor selection it looks like its a 32 so it will be worth your while to do it.

good luck,

me :cool:

moke

the 540 is a fun plane but has a few issues. most to do with the firewall motor box combo and what size motor to run. it is perfectly sized for a 28 series but most of them lack the power for true 3D flight so most go with a 32. if you go 32 then you have issues with too much power, weight, and torque for the motor box. spend some time and reinforce it the best you can. looking at your motor selection it looks like its a 32 so it will be worth your while to do it.

good luck,

really appreciate the advice! the motor I am using is BM2815A-KV1100 (replacement to C47 I crashed). Not sure what '28" or '32' refers to.

moke

good luck,

other issues?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
yours is a 2815, aka a 28 sized motor.

only thing to be careful of otherwise is the canopy hatch. it is easy to mess up size, shape, and angle. not a big deal but if your picky like me...

good luck,

moke

Day 0 of Edge Build. Got it via UPS yesterday. Only took three days from order to my doorstep. Packaged nicely as always. Excited to get started.
edge day 0.jpg

moke

Day 1. Started with wings. Made one mistake by gluing one of the seams I shouldn't have. And did an A fold instead of B fold on body. Worked through it and made pretty good progress. This is definitely a step up in complexity from the P40 I built last. All the advice about watching the video build carefully and multiple times and slowing down are spot on.
540 day 1.jpg

moke

Day #2. Pretty good progress. I'd have it done but spending more time painting and detailing than building. Putting off the cowling till last.
20200504_160818.jpg

Attachments

• 20200504_160841.jpg
    20200504_160841.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

moke

Day #3. Lot of time spent trimming so that the hatch fits properly. Still more work to do on that. Electronics installed. Cowling done. I used aluminum landing gear off a wrecked model. Should be a lot sturdier than the wire. I think one more day for some trimming, tail wheel and set up then I'm gonna go fly this baby.

Attachments

• 20200505_155959.jpg
    20200505_155959.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Day #3. Lot of time spent trimming so that the hatch fits properly. Still more work to do on that. Electronics installed. Cowling done. I used aluminum landing gear off a wrecked model. Should be a lot sturdier than the wire. I think one more day for some trimming, tail wheel and set up then I'm gonna go fly this baby.

Looking awesome! I'm hoping to build the Edge soon if I can get a big enough motor.

moke

Day #4. Essentially done with the build. Still dinking around with electronics set up but pretty much good to go. This one was most challenging build I have done. I made a couple of early on mistakes with a wrong fold, and glue in wing crease that I shouldn't have done. That made build a little more difficult. Learning a lot of technique on each build so I might get ok at building if I keep at it.

It was a real pain getting this hatch to fit well back to front and over the wings. I had to do a lot of sanding the wing curve on the hatch and I finally modified it by cutting it in half just in front of the canopy. I was able to fit it much better. And changing battery means I only have to remove front part of hatch.

Getting balance at suggested c.g. was not easy either. Battery recommendation is for a 1300 to 1400 3s or 4s. I started with an 1800 3s and even pushed all the way forward against firewall couldn't get nose down. I switched to 2200 3s and pushed it all the way forward and that works ok.

Setting up low rates at 60% with 30% expo, mid at 80% and high rate at 100% with 40% expo. Looking forward to getting some air time now.

20200506_144319 (002).jpg

20200506_144341.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Day #4. Essentially done with the build. Still dinking around with electronics set up but pretty much good to go. This one was most challenging build I have done. I made a couple of early on mistakes with a wrong fold, and glue in wing crease that I shouldn't have done. That made build a little more difficult. Learning a lot of technique on each build so I might get ok at building if I keep at it.

It was a real pain getting this hatch to fit well back to front and over the wings. I had to do a lot of sanding the wing curve on the hatch and I finally modified it by cutting it in half just in front of the canopy. I was able to fit it much better. And changing battery means I only have to remove front part of hatch.

Getting balance at suggested c.g. was not easy either. Battery recommendation is for a 1300 to 1400 3s or 4s. I started with an 1800 3s and even pushed all the way forward against firewall couldn't get nose down. I switched to 2200 3s and pushed it all the way forward and that works ok.

Setting up low rates at 60% with 30% expo, mid at 80% and high rate at 100% with 40% expo. Looking forward to getting some air time now.

View attachment 168230
View attachment 168231
I dig the paint job! Good luck on the maiden!