Edge 540

moke

thinking of investing in Edge 540 to help me learn aerobatics and minimal cost. I have built P40, Scout, and DR1 so far. This one looks a little more complicated but think I can handle it. Any input on this aircraft, building or flying?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It was my first 3D plane as well. It’s an intense plane to cut out but the build is an absolute blast - definitely one of my favorites.
1) 3D planes are different to fly - you HAVE to use your rudder in turns, or else you end up just doing wonky looking jerky turns.
2) Keep your throws low with lots (40%) of expo. Set it up the servo arms and such like Andres shows in the video and then when you dial in dual rates and expo, set your low rate (if you use multiple rates) to 50% throws on all the control surfaces. This is the way I have my latest 3D plane set up and it helps with smoothing out your flying.
3) Get a feel for the plane and run several packs through the plane before you attempt any aerobatics. If you’ve been doing loops and rolls with your current planes, then go ahead and try them on your first or second pack, but before you attempt inverted, knife edge, and other more advanced maneuvers, be sure you’re you’re very comfortable in normal flight. As I said, 3D planes feel different to fly than other airplanes, so it’ll probably take a couple packs to get used to the plane. It took me a lot of packs (and crashes) before I was finally able to fly it decently and attempting more advanced maneuvers.

Have fun with the edge - it’s definitely one of my favorite planes to fly!

moke

It was my first 3D plane as well. It’s an intense plane to cut out but the build is an absolute blast - definitely one of my favorites.
1) 3D planes are different to fly - you HAVE to use your rudder in turns, or else you end up just doing wonky looking jerky turns.
2) Keep your throws low with lots (40%) of expo. Set it up the servo arms and such like Andres shows in the video and then when you dial in dual rates and expo, set your low rate (if you use multiple rates) to 50% throws on all the control surfaces. This is the way I have my latest 3D plane set up and it helps with smoothing out your flying.
3) Get a feel for the plane and run several packs through the plane before you attempt any aerobatics. If you’ve been doing loops and rolls with your current planes, then go ahead and try them on your first or second pack, but before you attempt inverted, knife edge, and other more advanced maneuvers, be sure you’re you’re very comfortable in normal flight. As I said, 3D planes feel different to fly than other airplanes, so it’ll probably take a couple packs to get used to the plane. It took me a lot of packs (and crashes) before I was finally able to fly it decently and attempting more advanced maneuvers.

Have fun with the edge - it’s definitely one of my favorite planes to fly!

sounds good. my brain is full now

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
1586973960501.png

Boberticus

Also if your unaware, @DamoRC did a bare-bones skeleton build of this, he connected alot of the skin pieces together as one, eliminated some internal structures, and narrowed up the nose, ended up saving over 100 grams,

Polymicrophobia build

when i end up building a FT edge540, this will probably be the "variant" i build.