Edible Build Challenge

fixnfly

Here is a challenge I have been thinking about lately. I like to cook, especially things that are difficult to do with a given set of ingredients.

Challenge:

Choose a power pod and control system package and try to make the entire rest of the air frame out of edible materials. Fly the aircraft on a challenge contest and the loosers have to eat their airplanes. It is ok to cover the airplane with saran wrap and tape or other plastic for sanitary reasons. The plastic and tape must not serve a structural role in the air frame other then to keep the food clean.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Some structural materials:

Bread (airy and light, can hold a shape, carvable)
Pretzel sticks
Chocolate
Crackers
Icing (if done right you can make cake icing that dries into concrete)
Dry Pasta

fixnfly

I am actually thinking it would actually be possible to make a cross between regular bread and gingerbread that could be used in place of foam board and a candy that could be put through a hot glue gun. These are things that people who make gingerbread houses have already done, albeit at a heavier scale.

fixnfly

EGGOS!!!! French Toast sticks and Bagels. I want breakfast.

How does that become an aircraft? I suppose dried French toast could act as a wood substitute. Crepes could work for a covering material once dried to shape... What are the bagels for?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Eggos as fuselage side coverings or possibly wings even. French toast sticks for landing gear struts. The bagels cut in half for cowling on either noses or wing mount engines. Then you could wrap it all in cake fondant in place of syrup which could hold it all together. It would be heavy as all get out but breakfast none the less.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I had a friend on an IRC suggest meringue, with a good mold it could take the shape and harden enough.

EDIT: for extra challenge, take a bite off the plane while flying!

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
um . . .

Looser eats the winner's airframe? Something like this might make your opponent take a dive . . .

fixnfly

um . . .

Looser eats the winner's airframe? Something like this might make your opponent take a dive . . .

I was thinking airplanes, but that quad fits the bill. You really wouldn't want to take a bite of that one when it was flying though... I had said looser eats his own airframe, but for that one it would have to be winner eats looser's airframe. :)

Airplanes don't quite have the weight budget for that material...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I saw the chocolate one and someone else did one exactly the same with an all ice frame.

fixnfly

I don't know, this one is more like it.

culinary-04-3d_printed_sugar_patterned_vase.jpg
http://www.3dsystems.com/culinary/gallery