edt on swift 2

crash daily

READY TO SWIFT-IT 2DAY
Hello i have just orderd a AEO ADF64-28M EDF + 4500Kv MOTOR and am wanting to put it on my swift 2,does any have any tips on how to put this on to my swift and the best esc to use it said it draws 22 amps but im not sure a 30 amp esc would be rite,anyone know if it would be safer to get a 60amp esc just incase?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hello i have just orderd a AEO ADF64-28M EDF + 4500Kv MOTOR and am wanting to put it on my swift 2,does any have any tips on how to put this on to my swift and the best esc to use it said it draws 22 amps but im not sure a 30 amp esc would be rite,anyone know if it would be safer to get a 60amp esc just incase?

You could make an air inlet out of depron, and mount everything on top of the wing, so that the outlet is about where the prop used to be. You could also make a cut in your wing, and put dual ducts, on the top and bottom of the wing. Just ideas, don't listen to me.

About the Amps, you can go with whatever your pocket can reach.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Here's something like what you are talking about.
This plane flew great, was actually even quiet when he was flying at lower speeds.
A friend of mine makes flying wings with a modular approach.
All of the electronics including the power system are attached to the wing with industrial velcro.
You can check out his designs a ExtremeWing.com. I'm fairly certain he has a series of pics showing an EDF
velcro'd to one of his wings.

I've recently been experimenting with zip ties. I'm confident that you could zip tie it on there with good results. I don't know if you are looking for a permanent mount, a swappable mount, whether it's a fly around with plane, a combat plane or an FPV ship.
In any case it looks like you are preparing to have some serious fun. Please post a pic or two once you get it set up.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I recognize that scenery from the swarm video. What a nice area to fly!

Though EDF's are supposed to be less efficient, I do like the idea of not having external moving parts to get broken. I was contemplating making a WildHawk/Bixler type airframe but with an EDF instead.

My son did an EDF FFF wing. I liked to call it the Cylon. (Old BSG)

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Indeed. It's our home flying field. The sod farm is more than tolerant and have even expressed how happy they are to see our electric planes flying around. Got the lake on one side and the mountains in the backround on the other. This is undoubtedly my favorite place to fly! Do I miss the green and the fall colors back east, yes. But I have truly fallen in love with the wide open great American west.

-Back on topic- Have fun with that EDF wing! Build it, fly it, return and report!

crash daily

READY TO SWIFT-IT 2DAY
Thanks for reply guys all ur tips well r noted,i think im goin to try tie-raps and hot glue and see how i get on with that,im only using a 30amp esc at the mo to i dont think il be hittin full throttle for long as i dont want to burn out my esc and edf,i think im goin to get a 60amp esc to be safe,but will see how it flys with the 30amp first just got to wait for a nice day to fly,if all go's well il get some pictures up.

crash daily

READY TO SWIFT-IT 2DAY
317874_10150318502527741_665972740_8320975_1728283569_n.jpg
hi again this is a picture of my swift 2 with edf unit on,i used zip-ties and hot glue to attach it to the swift,i havent flown it yet as the weather is pants 2day.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
That EDF is huge! TFOA comes to mind as an acronym from my past but in this case I'm concerned about the motor going and leaving the wing behind. Looking forward to the news of the flight.

Weather is... pants? Could you put that in English please? :black_eyed:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I was thinking a bit different. I was thinking you could put the EDF "inside" the wing with ducts on both sides of the wing.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
You could but it just adds complexity to the build.
Really depends what you are after.
Mounting to the top of the wing in the location it's in now gives him a thrust line almost in the same line as the rear prop set up, keeps the CG very close to the stock set up and if he doesn't like it, he can probably just take it off and put a big high kv motor with a small prop and get the same effect.

crash daily

READY TO SWIFT-IT 2DAY
hi guys i did the first flite 2day it went ok but everytime i give it full throttle it wantd to dive,any tips on wot i should do to fix this??

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I thought it would. That is because of the top-mounted motor. If you want to correct this, you have to set the center of the EDF at the same altitude as the original motors axle. Hence my first suggestion of a center-mounted EDF.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Definitely a thrust line issue- Thrust should be inline with the bottom surface of the wing.

When you mounted did you mount it flush with the top of the wing? If so, the back of the EDF is pointing down a little bit, this would cause the issue that you are describing.

crash daily

READY TO SWIFT-IT 2DAY
at the mo its attached to the old motor mount,i tryd to attach it as straight as i could,but when the edf go's to full throttle thats when the edf moves 4word alittle bit,so if i angled the front of the motor up abit that would correct it??

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
at the mo its attached to the old motor mount,i tryd to attach it as straight as i could,but when the edf go's to full throttle thats when the edf moves 4word alittle bit,so if i angled the front of the motor up abit that would correct it??

Nope. You should angle the front of the motor down, the back up.

I'll try to explain.

Think of the EDF blowing a stream of air that pushes the airplane. If you angle the flow downwards, it's gonna push the back part of the plane up, making the nose pitch down. However if you angle the flow upwards, it's going to push down. Since the EDF is mounted on the back of the plane, it will push down on the back which will in turn lift the nose up.

This is the basis for thrust vector.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Seems to me that the thrust needs to push straight forward. If the EDF flexes then that will change the vector of the thrust and thus push your tail in a slightly vertical direction. If the tail is pushed down, that will point the nose up.

I think the effects and also the alignment will be easiest with a midbody mount. If you stick with a top mounted EDF then I suppose making sure it doesn't flex would be 3/4 the battle and then shimming the motor until the effect is minimum.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Your mount needs to be solid. The angles should not change when throttling up.

If the thrust is pitching the nose downwards at full throttle, you will need to point the front of the EDF slightly downward from where it is now to correct it.

I've seen this done and done well on some flying wings. Thrust angle issues can be aggravating even when dealing with rear mounted (even front mounted) prop setups. You will likely be dealing with finding "happy mediums" for a top mounted motor. My preference would be to have it set it to trim level at half throttle or whatever your cruising is and allow it climb predictably at full throttle.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Colorex- No issues at all with your logic. Your reasoning is sound.
It really depends a lot on what you are trying to achieve.
You would not want an EDF to be unprotected on a belly lander.
If you are willing to make the mods to design a ducting system that will protect the EDF and a skid or some kind of underbody to land on... It all just depends on what kind of complexity you are willing to deal with.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Colorex- No issues at all with your logic. Your reasoning is sound.
It really depends a lot on what you are trying to achieve.
You would not want an EDF to be unprotected on a belly lander.
If you are willing to make the mods to design a ducting system that will protect the EDF and a skid or some kind of underbody to land on... It all just depends on what kind of complexity you are willing to deal with.

Yeah, was thinking that too. If you make a strong duct and cover it with tape, it'll probably hold up for landings. However, that is a more time-taking build, and also don't listen to me, I've never flown an airplane before... and I haven't even seen a wing outside my computer monitor... LOL