Effective wing span of mid wing?

Nishanth

Let's say I have a mid wing and assume the tip to tip span is 100in. But since it is a mid-wing a part of the wing will be inside the fuselage (assume 10in is inside fuselage) and not be contributing to the lift. So, for all my calculations should I consider the Tip to Tip wingspan (100in) or the effective wingspan (90in)?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Let's say I have a mid wing and assume the tip to tip span is 100in. But since it is a mid-wing a part of the wing will be inside the fuselage (assume 10in is inside fuselage) and not be contributing to the lift. So, for all my calculations should I consider the Tip to Tip wingspan (100in) or the effective wingspan (90in)?
I know what you are saying but the wingspan is a measurement from wingt\ tip to wing tip, (Consider it as a storage measurement.

When calculating the wing area you are correct in that it is the wing area not covered that is required. Normally just calculate the area of one wing and multiply by 2 or do a full planform area calculation and then subtract the area covered by fuselage or similar.

Regardless the wing span and wing area whilst closely related are not always in linear proportion.

A biplane wingspan is determined by the largest span wing but actually there are 2 wings each of different span and often even different cord.

You must treat the wing area calculations separately to suit the plane you are measuring or designing.

Have fun!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
One faulty assumption here . . .

The fuselage WILL contribute to lift.

How much? that's harder to predict which is why most back-of-the-napkin designers will neglect it, but may/may not neglect the wing buried in the fuse . . . but . . .

Unless you're getting to the point you're about to pull out the wind-tunnel or simulator, this is detail greater than the significance. Round off and call it close enough.