Ekranoplan

ujjawal

I saw the microwave airplane video and felt that the plane was perhaps flying in ground effect.
Ground effect is a strange phenomena that increases lift and reduces drag when a plane with very wide wings(large chord length) is flown very low( less than chord length altitude). Such vehicles have been attempted by Russians and they named them ekranoplans.

I thought if a crazy heavy plane with wide and short wings and low power could be attempted. Although I would like to warn of a different CG placement as a plane that flies well in free flight experiences a pitching down motion when brought in ground effect. so the plane should be slightly tail heavy.

MrClean

Once upon a time I had about 20 hours in Full Sized Sailplanes. Get one of those on down into ground effect you'd swear you'd touched down already but in fact, it's just ground effect. Full out on the spoilers please and let her settle on down.

ianlh

When I did some work back in the day in Russia I saw these monsters flying (Lun-class ekranoplan), awesome sight.

johnmw

propulsion impromptu
these Kaspian sea monsters are awesome..

ekranoplan.jpg

album%20l%20casp%20otw%20001.jpg

all images belong to their respective owner

RC Build Link