Electric Motor For Pusher Racing Plane Weighing 1.4-1.6kg

aga10

Hi, I am building a pusher electric racing plane that weighs around 1.4kg to 1.6kg, I've been learning about brushless motor for some time now and what I understood is that more RPM will give you more speed. I've been looking for Pylon Race Motors but they are mostly for 1kg or below, can anyone give me a reference on what kind of motor to use? I have some references such as T-Motor AT2820 1250KV, Sunnysky x2820 1250KV or Propdrive V2 3536 1800KV. they can give about 2.3 kg of thrust at full power, RPM around 12000, and power around 800W to 1000W. please correct me if I am wrong and please help me understand what kind of motor to use. also is there a difference in motor spec between a pusher and a tractor motor? any kind of help will be appriciated

leaded50

Legendary member
more RPM will give you more speed, is not quite correct...
It also depends on what prop you plan use, and kind of plane it self (size/weight, eg.) . Every motor have a recomended range of RPM, out of that it can get to hot and ruins.
A lower kv rated motor can use a bigger prop. (more thrust).
A higher kv rated motor in same size ,would give higher RPM/speed, but needs smaller prop.
A bigger motor (eg. 3536 vs 2820) in similar kv would give more "grunt" have higher torque-thrust.
Its no difference on pusher/tractor motor, but effect from prop can be (lower by pusher)

aga10

more RPM will give you more speed, is not quite correct...
It also depends on what prop you plan use, and kind of plane it self (size/weight, eg.) . Every motor have a recomended range of RPM, out of that it can get to hot and ruins.
A lower kv rated motor can use a bigger prop. (more thrust).
A higher kv rated motor in same size ,would give higher RPM/speed, but needs smaller prop.
A bigger motor (eg. 3536 vs 2820) in similar kv would give more "grunt" have higher torque-thrust.
Its no difference on pusher/tractor motor, but effect from prop can be (lower by pusher)
the plane will have around 1.1m to 1.4m wingspan with length around 90cm. what are the parameters I should look for for speed?

leaded50

Legendary member
the plane will have around 1.1m to 1.4m wingspan with length around 90cm. what are the parameters I should look for for speed?
of the ones you mentioned, i would go for the 3536 motor. Not because KV, but size.