Electric, Nitro, Diesel, Petrol, Balsa, Foam, plastic or Ply - Whats your likes and dislikes ?

L Edge

Master member
Here is one of the 2 left that I have of the TD 049. It is a goody, for it was the 141 off the production line. Look at the prices to bring it back to new engine performance!!! $8 plus 50 cents shipping.

049 engine.jpg

141 number.jpg

cost.jpg

My son and I pylon raced and they were tough to keep in running and top condition. Getting 2 to run is going to take alot of patience.
Heck, I used to take them apart and reseat the ball with a tool to get top rpm's from them. Tap it too hard and the engine was toast.

With no exhaust pressure, it was a nightmare to set. Best way to kill engine in air is to use stiff metal tubing for pickup. To stop engine, roll upside down and because clunk doesn't move, it drains the intake and shuts off.

Bricks

Master member
I have always wondered why Cox never really did more with there engines like Norvel does in the 1/2 A size. True adjustable carburetor and an actual muffler.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I have always wondered why Cox never really did more with there engines like Norvel does in the 1/2 A size. True adjustable carburetor and an actual muffler.
True I remember being shouted at as a kid for flying my control line plane in a field with a cox 049, there was a guy who worked nights it kept him awake every time I flew. I can empathise with him now as I work nights :rolleyes:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I would wager it probably has something to do with the point in time in which they were designed. The reed valve engines notably the Golden Bee were designed and first marketed in the late 50s; the TD series was a little later, I think they were first released in 1961. Back then, as you probably know, RC gear was usually too bulky to fit into 1/2A models. When it did, throttle was not utilized because usually if you were controlling anything in a model that big it was the rudder and sometimes also elevator. Keep in mind, RC gear was flippin expensive back then too; many people had lots of fun flying control line using 049's back then because going to RC was just too hard on the bank account, and there's no throttle flying those. Cox engines just kind of found a niche being utilized with no throttle control, and they did that well. After all why would Cox spend additional money to develop something further if it's already selling like hot cakes? If it isn't broken don't fix it...

Another factor is that 1/2A engines usually don't respond to throttle control terribly well; I'm not saying it's totally impossible, just very difficult to accomplish. Most are happy at the absolute top edge of their RPM range and not really anywhere else. I tried installing a throttle ring on a Golden Bee and it would sort of idle but the plug would go cold after a few seconds because of too much exhaust gas in the cylinder I guess. It also didn't behave terribly well in the mid range. Cox Int. sells a "RC ranger" engine in which the RC component is just a very simple air-only barrel valve on the intake - all it does it just make it run really rich and sorta throttle back, but it's in no way capable of actually providing a stable idle. Do the Norvel engines have airbleed or twin needle carbs? I would imagine that would help a bit. Tarno carburetors have an airbleed hole but no adjustment screw; I've heard pretty mixed feedback from people that have tried them.

It can be made to work though; this guy seems to have one that runs pretty doggone good. I also really like the muffler. If only someone made something like that commercially...

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Great video it sort of inspires you to get the cox engine running again and try to come up with a similar solution. Thats exactly what I had in mind and suggested to JennyC6 on an earlier post, but it wasn't considered a viable option. I think its brilliant idea but trying to balance two at the same time would not be easy.

basslord1124

Master member
My first intro to planes was an old nitro balsa trainer when I was a young teen. I assembled the model and got everything glued, tested the radio, etc. My dad helped me with the engine...and I would bet my dad didn't know much of what he was doing...but we tried. We did run the motor some. Sadly the plane never got flown as I was afraid of crashing it. Sold it some years later.

Got back into RC flight in my early 30's. First with a Dynam Super/Piper Cub, all electric, foam, with a lipo. The plane honestly was not the wisest first choice for getting back in. Lawn darted it numerous times. Ended up going with the Hobbyzone Champ after that and had great success with it. Super easy plane to fly. And then I started getting hot and heavy into Flitetest models.

I have just recently started venturing back to balsa. For the most part I do want to stay electric even with balsa. I do eventually want to migrate to some larger balsa models and with an IC engine. I think the only thing that deters me from nitro is fuel cost. Gallon of regular unleaded gas is much cheaper than a gallon of nitro. I do sorta feel that if someone unloads some nitro powered models in my lap, I'll keep them...but I really just don't know. So, I suppose we'll see how things turn out...may be full on gas, or I might have a nitro collection.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
My first intro to planes was an old nitro balsa trainer when I was a young teen. I assembled the model and got everything glued, tested the radio, etc. My dad helped me with the engine...and I would bet my dad didn't know much of what he was doing...but we tried. We did run the motor some. Sadly the plane never got flown as I was afraid of crashing it. Sold it some years later.

Got back into RC flight in my early 30's. First with a Dynam Super/Piper Cub, all electric, foam, with a lipo. The plane honestly was not the wisest first choice for getting back in. Lawn darted it numerous times. Ended up going with the Hobbyzone Champ after that and had great success with it. Super easy plane to fly. And then I started getting hot and heavy into Flitetest models.

I have just recently started venturing back to balsa. For the most part I do want to stay electric even with balsa. I do eventually want to migrate to some larger balsa models and with an IC engine. I think the only thing that deters me from nitro is fuel cost. Gallon of regular unleaded gas is much cheaper than a gallon of nitro. I do sorta feel that if someone unloads some nitro powered models in my lap, I'll keep them...but I really just don't know. So, I suppose we'll see how things turn out...may be full on gas, or I might have a nitro collection.
Very similar to my background, primarily electric but might venture back to balsa anf IC in the future.

Off-topic jes

Elite member
I really like all of them I can’t say I don’t like diesel never tried it, the rest run very well though my favorite is probably petrol

Piotrsko

Master member
Ummm I have both a TD 09 and a hotrodded 051 both of which have a manifolded exhaust and a really nice but different throttle on each. The 09 has a needle valve that rotates, the 051 has a carb, both are factory. The 051 also has variable backpressure driven by the throttle arm, but I know that was aftermarket. There is also a muffler sleeve that fits over the exhaust port that doubles as throttle and muffler originally used on the dune buggy. New stuff has a divorced throttle back on the needle valve plastic back plate

Back in the day you had two issues: weight and size. So you did rudder only and since the typical run of a cox engine was 3 minutes, you toughed it out for that. To this day, I still forget to reduce throttle on first flights. Btw: inverted is tough on a rudder only diehederal ship.

Two engines were easy peasy, if they started on first flip, they were balanced enough. A 4 engine bomber has getting all four running before the first ran out of fuel as the major problem, but a common tank with the pickups manifolded solved that. Once again, the dune buggy with the drilled tank changed that.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I can't wait to get the Enya 30ss running in my Corsair, not flown an IC plane in years. I'm just waiting for my wife to stop giving me non RC related jobs to do. Im restricted to bringing my RC projects to work with me to get things done :rolleyes:.

Bricks

Master member
For me any thing under .40 Glow size and smaller is either electric or glow any thing .40 and over is gas. As I have 5 Evolution 10cc gas engines they are sweet running engines. 6 ounces of fuel they will go minimum 20 minutes pushing full throttle for most of the flight back off and 35-40 minutes can be done. I do have some glow .40-1.20 four and two stroke planes but they were purchased that way.

Off-topic jes

Elite member
dug out the OS46 today that came out of my WOT trainer
View attachment 184542
Im not taking responsibility for its condition, it was like that when I got it with the plane. I started it once and it did run well actually. I am donating it to a good friend of mine, who will appreciate it more than me. Plus he helped me a couple of month back retrieve my plane from a 30ft oak tree so I sot of owe him one.
mmhh a blue os!