Electric Power Setup

Flying_Leap

I second this! The choices on Hobby Kings site for example are boggling. There are so many options. What size motor should I use? What ESC will that work with? What are the battery options for that configuration? Does this RX work with this TX? I think the 9g HXT servos are the standard recommendation (unless you are going micro or huge scales).

Yeah I would love to see some general guidance in this area. Like I said the options are dizzying.

Thanks,
FL

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Well - the range of motors is approximatively from 5W to 5000W
The range of ESC is 3 Amp to 200 Amp.
The total weight of the planes are from 20 gram up to 200 kg.
The range of speed from walking pace to +200 km/h

The show of all combinations could be a seminar of some days.

Better is to first select a plane to know the flying weight and the required speed.
Then it is easy to select the motor watts and volts and rpm.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I think he's looking more for information on selecting motors and esc's that work together, and how to match those to a plane. There's a lot of questions about that coming up all the time.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
Well - the range of motors is approximatively from 5W to 5000W
The range of ESC is 3 Amp to 200 Amp.
The total weight of the planes are from 20 gram up to 200 kg.
The range of speed from walking pace to +200 km/h

The show of all combinations could be a seminar of some days.

Better is to first select a plane to know the flying weight and the required speed.

Up to 14kw* and 300A* with 450A burst* :cool:

Flying_Leap

Easy for you perhaps, but for someone new to the field of RC not as much. That's why I said "general guidance" and not comprehensive and exhaustive coverage.

FL

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Understanding the wattage vs amperage vs voltage takes time. Putting numbers like 2214 into something usable is difficult when you're starting out. I think this would be a good show.

flylow

I'm more of a nitro kind of guy, and electric is something I've been getting into, they did a episode on changing a gasser to electric but didn't go into depth on the power system choices and what you could possibly use, it doesn't have to be a college level show, but a nice simple show on it would be very helpful to me, and probably a few others.