Electrics for FPV49 Build

godonholiday

I am looking to put all this togetehr but have some questions I hope I can get some help with.

http://flitetest.com/articles/fpv49-build

So I have the following:
35 -36 1400kv motor,
HK-70A ESC,
Turnigy UBEC -5A
and some Ferrite Rings

all from the list in the article

I dont have the sensor or OSD.

Can I just plug th motor to the ESC and then to the battery? Or do I need the UBEC? Not 100% what it is for?

Second question is, in the diagram you only use the white cable on the ESC to the reciever.. as i am not using the OSD, i can just use all 3 cables right?

Thanks in advance for any help

Gav

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I am looking to put all this togetehr but have some questions I hope I can get some help with.

http://flitetest.com/articles/fpv49-build

So I have the following:
35 -36 1400kv motor,
HK-70A ESC,
Turnigy UBEC -5A
and some Ferrite Rings

all from the list in the article

I dont have the sensor or OSD.

Can I just plug th motor to the ESC and then to the battery? Or do I need the UBEC? Not 100% what it is for?

Second question is, in the diagram you only use the white cable on the ESC to the reciever.. as i am not using the OSD, i can just use all 3 cables right?

Thanks in advance for any help

Gav
OK, the UBEC is simply a power regulator. It will take the voltage from the flight pack, commonly at 12+ volts for 3S, and drop it down to a receiver friendly 5 or 6 volts. The BEC in the ESC will do the same thing. However, having a separate BEC is said to be more redundant and reliable as it won't be subject to over heating and shutdown as an integral ESC/BEC can be. That's not to say you can't just go with the ESC/BEC, just make sure it isn't getting too hot to avoid the thermal shutdown blues.

As for the wires, they are standard for ESC's and servos alike. The colors are either black, red, white or brown, red, yellow/orange. The black or brown are ground, the red is positive voltage, normally 5 or 6 volts, and white or yellow/orange is for signal. On an ESC, the power and ground wires are actually supplying voltage back to the receiver instead of carrying it to the servo. In your case, you need all 3 wires from the ESC/BEC to provide power to the receiver and servos.