Electro-hub Dragonfly design suggestion/mod

ouelpacla

I have a suggestion/idea with regards to the Electro-hub Dragonfly. What if the two propellers facing downward is made to face forward? And set it up to provide forward and differential thrust? It can eliminate the use of the tilt mechanism for the yaw movement and provide forward thrust without tilting the aircraft forward. Is it feasible? I would love to try and check this out but currently short of material/supply.

The original three blades for lift (without the tilt mechanism). The other two motors (shorter arm to prevent collision with the other two upward motors) provide forward thrust and yaw (setup as differential thrust).

I will try this as soon as i get free time (and resources to buy materials).

forgive my horrible drawing. but i'm sure you get the idea.

Dragonfly_Kit_selection_web__06445.1425337481.1280.1280.jpg

mad_milchmann

I like the idea. I thought about a prop on a racing quad for forward movement myself. but two props for warward movement are even better :D

and the design looks eally badass! :)

I think I wouldn't ditch the Yaw-servo completely otherwise you would always have to move forward when you Yaw... or am I wrog there?

The main Problem that I see is that no FC would support the design. So you'll probably have to mix the motors on your Tx on the throttle channel, which would mean that you would have to tilt them at least slightly, since the copter would still lean forward when you accelerate.
Which is another argument to keept the Yaw servo. since the FC won't be able to handle yaw though differential thrust.

I would rather consider it as a tricopter with two additional motors for speed than an individual kind of copter unless you're able to program your FC accordingly.

just my thoughts

Last edited: