Electro Telemaster Rescue and Gas Conversion from Glow?

Bricks

Master member
Nice job if some would learn to run a tad on the rich side be it gas or glow there would be less dead stick landings. Advantage of gas is tank placement is not as critical with pumped carb, many nitro`s I see have issues is from the fuel tank not properly placed in relation to the venturi..

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Nice job if some would learn to run a tad on the rich side be it gas or glow there would be less dead stick landings. Advantage of gas is tank placement is not as critical with pumped carb, many nitro`s I see have issues is from the fuel tank not properly placed in relation to the venturi..

The little pumper carb on this Evo really does the trick well. I do like how flexible the fuel tank placement is on gas compared to my short time with glow. This engine was running rich enough to throw a lot of exhaust residue/splatter down the side of the plane and all over the test bench. Between slightly rich settings and a 20:1 break-in mix I guess it should be expected. My 9cc NGH does the same.

Bricks

Master member
Once I have my gassers broke in I will run a 50-1 even my 10cc Evolutions with brass bushed con rod shows no detrimental issues. Have one guy at the feild who has been running 75-1 with out any wear issues using a premium 2 stroke oil Stihl Ultra, I run Amsoil Saber.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
My plan is to switch to 40:1 True Fuel after they are broken in so all of my gassers will be on the same diet. I could also use their 50:1, but so far so good with 40. I’m hoping this stuff doesn’t harden the carb gaskets over time like the crappy gas we have here does.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
My plan is to switch to 40:1 True Fuel after they are broken in so all of my gassers will be on the same diet. I could also use their 50:1, but so far so good with 40. I’m hoping this stuff doesn’t harden the carb gaskets over time like the crappy gas we have here does.

The plan was to go out and get some fresh 93 octane fuel so I could maiden the Electro Gas Telemaster this weekend. Driving to the gas station for 1/4 gallon of gas seemed a little silly, and we've been driving our cars so little during the lockdown that none of them needed any gas either... To save a trip I decided to do what I should have done in the first place, use the 40:1 TruFuel and add enough synthetic oil to make it 40:1. In this case, it needed 23cc added to the 32oz. The tentative plan (subject to chance 30 times in the next two hours) is to run both engines with this mix until it's gone, aiming to keep the flight time about even between the 8cc on this plane and the 9cc on my Eagle 2. That should be more than enough to have both engines broken in. The next mix would be at 30:1, which will probably be enough to last through the end of the flying season. After that, 40:1.

thumbnail_IMG_0342.jpg

Bricks

Master member
We have one guy at our field that uses White gas ( Coleman Lantern fuel ) smells totally different when running, and he claims never a problem getting old or varnishing up from sitting, it ain`t cheap thou. I may just try this once as these small gassers are so cheap on fuel anyway. I have a gallon here and it has to be at least ten years old and still smells good so he may be onto something.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
We have one guy at our field that uses White gas ( Coleman Lantern fuel ) smells totally different when running, and he claims never a problem getting old or varnishing up from sitting, it ain`t cheap thou. I may just try this once as these small gassers are so cheap on fuel anyway. I have a gallon here and it has to be at least ten years old and still smells good so he may be onto something.

It'll be interesting to hear your results. The TruFuel is expensive compared to gasoline, but the lack of ethanol is a huge selling point for me as that stuff destroys carb gaskets. I haven't read what to expect long-term with the TruFuel, whether or not I'll have to re-build the carbs every few years like I do with gasoline. It may just be my imagination, but it seems like this stuff makes the engines fire up more easily as well. It's shelf-stable longer as well, so I don't have to worry about it losing quality over the season. The guy I fly with regularly and I both love the stuff.

Bricks

Master member
Most good two stroke oils have fuel stabilizers in them I am a big believer in Seafoam it gets used around the farm in everything that runs on gas.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The pictures didn't turn out worth a darn, but the Telemaster had it's maiden flight today. Absolutely nothing special or out of the ordinary to report, it took off and flew beautifully with only a little down elevator needed.

Take-off from damp turf wasn't going to happen, so I found a section of high ground that had the sod harvested recently. It was dry, smooth, and plenty wide/long for this plane. Take off took maybe 30-40' and it cruised along nicely at around 1/3 throttle.

I ran it for three flights, 30 minutes total, and used up maybe 16 ounces of fuel, quite a bit more than I expected, but still far less than bigger engines use. It coated the side of the plane with exhaust juice, and I'm hoping that's reduced quite a bit when I start going leaner with the mixture.

As the saying goes, "Nothing flies like a Telemaster!" :D