Electro Telemaster Rescue and Gas Conversion from Glow?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm on a roll finishing projects for Spring flying season, and here's another one I want to get done quickly. The electric to gas conversion on my Nothin' Extra is stalled for a couple days waiting for parts so I'll do the reasonable thing and start another project! :)

This one is a little weird, but here goes. This past summer I went to meet a couple guys who were selling a bunch of planes. I ended up with a few planes following me home, including this Electro Telemaster. For those not familiar with the Telemaster, it's one of the best high-wing designs made, and has been kitted in a number of sizes. It is common to see them with gas or glow engines, but for a while Hobby Lobby also made this version for electric power. It's very similar in size to the Telemaster 40 (for .40 size glow) with a 73.5" wingspan. In fact, someone before me actually converted it to glow already! :) I have no interest in glow engines, and limited interest in electric, so I'm converting it from glow to gas! It'll need a little work to make it right, but I've fixed far worse.

thumbnail_IMG_0150.jpg

My love of the Telemaster design goes back to Flite Fest #2, where my dad and I built the Mini Telemaster below during the event (47" wingspan). It was kind of funny seeing the reactions from people who've never seen a balsa kit being built. Also in my stash of projects is a Senior Telemaster (95" wingspan) that needs a rescue performed on it. Someday...

thumbnail_IMG_0155.jpg

The nose needs some repair work, but nothing too extensive. It was cut up to make room for the glow engine, and for some reason the exposed balsa was painted yellow...? A slot was cut through the battery hatch for a throttle pushrod, and the side cheek was cut for the adjusting needles on the glow engine. After fixing it up a bit to fit the new engine I'll probably give it a coat of black to cover up the yellow.

thumbnail_IMG_0153.jpg

Opening the battery hatch gives a good look at the battery tray, and how open the interior is. This should give me plenty of room to work.

thumbnail_IMG_0152.jpg

The engine going in is an Evolution 8cc gasser. I think I traded a plane for it, but don't recall. :LOL: I haven't run an Evo yet, but the learning curve shouldn't be too bad. It's set up very much like a glow engine, with the big muffler hanging off the side of the cylinder. I'll probably mount it like a typical glow install, with the cylinder pointing up. It doesn't look as good, but it keeps the carb up and away from the dust and chopped grass it'd otherwise be ingesting.

thumbnail_IMG_0151.jpg

I've said it before, but swap meets are a goldmine for gas/glow supplies. These are the "small" gas tanks I've been collecting, and the average price is probably $2.00 or less. Having a nice selection saves me from having to order one at retail price. In this case, I've got an 8 ounce and a 12 ounce tank that both fit nicely in the battery tray with no modifications. I'm leaning towards using the 8 ounce as these little engines sip fuel. I'd probably get 15 minutes or more of flight with that tank, plenty for me.

thumbnail_IMG_0154.jpg

Hopefully I can finish this build without having to buy anything. I've got tons of propellers, the three servos for the fuselage (the wing came with both aileron servos installed), batteries, fuel components, and probably a prop spinner. The transparent red film I used on the Mini Telemaster appears to be very close to the transparent red used by Hobby Lobby. Game on!

Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
I'm on a roll finishing projects for Spring flying season, and here's another one I was to get done quickly. The electric to gas conversion on my Nothin' Extra is stalled for a couple days waiting for parts so I'll do the reasonable thing and start another project! :)

This one is a little weird, but here goes. This past summer I went to meet a couple guys who were selling a bunch of planes. I ended up with a few planes following me home, including this Electro Telemaster. For those not familiar with the Telemaster, it's one of the best high-wing designs made, and has been kitted in a number of sizes. It is common to see them with gas or glow engines, but for a while Hobby Lobby also made this version for electric power. It's very similar in size to the Telemaster 40 (for .40 size glow) with a 73.5" wingspan. In fact, someone before me actually converted it to glow already! :) I have no interest in glow engines, and limited interest in electric, so I'm converting it from glow to gas! It'll need a little work to make it right, but I've fixed far worse.

View attachment 163081

My love of the Telemaster design goes back to Flite Fest #2, where my dad and I built the Mini Telemaster below during the event (47" wingspan). It was kind of funny seeing the reactions from people who've never seen a balsa kit being built. Also in my stash of projects is a Senior Telemaster (95" wingspan) that needs a rescue performed on it. Someday...

View attachment 163082

The nose needs some repair work, but nothing too extensive. It was cut up to make room for the glow engine, and for some reason the exposed balsa was painted yellow...? A slot was cut through the battery hatch for a throttle pushrod, and the side cheek was cut for the adjusting needles on the glow engine. After fixing it up a bit to fit the new engine I'll probably give it a coat of black to cover up the yellow.

View attachment 163083

Opening the battery hatch gives a good look at the battery tray, and how open the interior is. This should give me plenty of room to work.

View attachment 163084

The engine going in is an Evolution 8cc gasser. I think I traded a plane for it, but don't recall. :LOL: I haven't run an Evo yet, but the learning curve shouldn't be too bad. It's set up very much like a glow engine, with the big muffler hanging off the side of the cylinder. I'll probably mount it like a typical glow install, with the cylinder pointing up. It doesn't look as good, but it keeps the carb up and away from the dust and chopped grass it'd otherwise be ingesting.

View attachment 163085

I've said it before, but swap meets are a goldmine for gas/glow supplies. These are the "small" gas tanks I've been collecting, and the average price is probably $2.00 or less. Having a nice selection saves me from having to order one at retail price. In this case, I've got an 8 ounce and a 12 ounce tank that both fit nicely in the battery tray with no modifications. I'm leaning towards using the 8 ounce as these little engines sip fuel. I'd probably get 15 minutes or more of flight with that tank, plenty for me.

View attachment 163086

Hopefully I can finish this build without having to buy anything. I've got tons of propellers, the three servos for the fuselage (the wing came with both aileron servos installed), batteries, fuel components, and probably a prop spinner. The transparent red film I used on the Mini Telemaster appears to be very close to the transparent red used by Hobby Lobby. Game on!
We have the evolution 10cc, and it runs amazing! We've never had it quit or have an issue that was the engines fault lol. It quit once because it was out of tune

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
We have the evolution 10cc, and it runs amazing! We've never had it quit or have an issue that was the engines fault lol. It quit once because it was out of tune

A flying buddy had an 8cc on a Mustang and it ran great as well. Online there are plenty of people who say the Evo engines are garbage, but in this hobby you can never get anybody to agree on anything... :)

OliverW

Legendary member
A flying buddy had an 8cc on a Mustang and it ran great as well. Online there are plenty of people who say the Evo engines are garbage, but in this hobby you can never get anybody to agree on anything... :)
I can never stop recommending evolution. I love their engines

TooJung2Die

Master member
Very cool. That is a classic airplane design. I just Googled "balsa rc airplane" and yup, there was the Telemaster on page one.

Last edited:

Turbojoe

Elite member
My second Telemaster 40 sits waiting for covering for probably close to 10 years now. The Telemaster mini just needs the wing built. Like you I no longer have any interest in the smell and mess of glow power. Electric replaced it for me 20 years ago. However, I have been intrigued with the smaller gasoline engines. Price has kept me from trying one as I already have everything I need to outfit any of my planes electric. I still think I'd like to power this Telemaster 40 with an I.C.E. just for old times sake. My Telemaster 40 from 40+ years ago had an O.S. 40 with a Mac's pipe on it. Fixed income means no chance of buying a new engine but I'll follow your thread and keep a look out for used gasoline engines.

Like the ad says: NOTHING flies like a Telemaster!

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
My second Telemaster 40 sits waiting for covering for probably close to 10 years now. The Telemaster mini just needs the wing built. Like you I no longer have any interest in the smell and mess of glow power. Electric replaced it for me 20 years ago. However, I have been intrigued with the smaller gasoline engines. Price has kept me from trying one as I already have everything I need to outfit any of my planes electric. I still think I'd like to power this Telemaster 40 with an I.C.E. just for old times sake. My Telemaster 40 from 40+ years ago had an O.S. 40 with a Mac's pipe on it. Fixed income means no chance of buying a new engine but I'll follow your thread and keep a look out for used gasoline engines.

Like the ad says: NOTHING flies like a Telemaster!

Joe

The little gassers sound a lot like glow engines, and have none of the slime people love to clean up! The smell isn't as "classic" as glow exhaust, but a little 2-stroke smoke does tend to put me in a happy place. :)

Turbojoe

Elite member
So are there any "cheap" gasoline engines out there that would work for the Telemaster? The Evolution engine you're using seems to be discontinued. Since I last looked many years ago I'm sure there are many more gasoline engines on the market now.

Joe

OliverW

Legendary member
So are there any "cheap" gasoline engines out there that would work for the Telemaster? The Evolution engine you're using seems to be discontinued. Since I last looked many years ago I'm sure there are many more gasoline engines on the market now.

Joe
On Ebay I guarantee that you will find an Evolution 10gx for sale.

Turbojoe

Elite member
On Ebay I guarantee that you will find an Evolution 10gx for sale.

I thought so too but parts only. I did find a .15 but $250.00 is out of my range and probably twice what the plane needs. It looks like the entire Evolution line has been discontinued by Horizon.....

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor

Joe

For a .40 size Telemaster anything from 8-10cc should work well. 12cc if you really want some power. I really like the NGH 9cc installed on my Goldberg Eagle 2. A buddy has one as well and both run very well. The Evolution 8 or 10cc are also popular in the size, and although you hate the site, RC Groups has them pop up for sale occasionally. I also wouldn't be surprised if you found somebody that would trade your electric for their gas. I'm thinking about putting my 160 size electric motor and ESC up for trade towards a big gas engine if I can find somebody willing.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Dang! I keep seeing negatives for the Evolution AND NGH engines. Maybe I'd better stick with electric. ;)

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Dang! I keep seeing negatives for the Evolution AND NGH engines. Maybe I'd better stick with electric. ;)

Joe

Absolutely, as anybody with a bad experience wants EVERYBODY to know about it, while those with positive experiences occasionally post rave reviews. :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor

Nice plane, and nice save by your dad! I had an engine like that once, a 26cc, which would run fine on the ground, but died shortly after take-off. I was always able to land safely, but it really got annoying. I think the issue was the carb, although I traded the engine away to somebody who said they could make it run properly.

Did your dad ever figure out what the carb problem was? It sure doesn't take much to clog a fuel line or high/low needle passage.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Absolutely, as anybody with a bad experience wants EVERYBODY to know about it, while those with positive experiences occasionally post rave reviews. :)

Truer words were never spoken! Problem is I'm the born loser and if there's a bad engine out there I'll be the one that ends up with it. LOL. ;)

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Sorry for dragging the thread so far off topic. Back to the Telemaster Electro conversion.........

Joe

OliverW

Legendary member
Nice plane, and nice save by your dad! I had an engine like that once, a 26cc, which would run fine on the ground, but died shortly after take-off. I was always able to land safely, but it really got annoying. I think the issue was the carb, although I traded the engine away to somebody who said they could make it run properly.

Did your dad ever figure out what the carb problem was? It sure doesn't take much to clog a fuel line or high/low needle passage.
We aren't sure yet. After the last test, we think it was more likely the ignition.