Electrohub build Problems

Gregulimy

Hello people of the forums, this is my first time here so i hope you can help my noobieness.

I have been building an Electrohub Spiderquad and have been having some problems.
I have everything setup, everything plugged in and soldered, i have triple checked.
Bound the transmitter and the receiver
When i plug in my battery i get the sounds and then nothing else. I try to throttle up (tied down to my bench with props OFF) and nothing happens no motors spinning.

What should/can i do to fix it?
I don't know the problem so i wish you can help me,
Thanks,
Greg

Hey guys,
Another noob here with the same issue as Greg....building an electro hub, all went together well, sound connections. Motors tested with servo tester etc.... Bought a Turnigy 9x tx with 8 ch rx. Bound, disconnected battery, removed binding key, reconnected battery, armed tx(down and right with throttle), then nothing. I am at a loss on what to check or how to check it. Connections are good so it has to be the flip 1.5 fc or the reciever. I've double checked literature on both so I am connected properly for the five channels. I haven't calibrated the esc's, they were supposedly done by rtf quads. I've checked out the YouTube video flip 1.5 for dummies, so I can come back to the esc's if necessary.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Chris

Gregulimy

Yep the Flip 1.5, i have the HK-T6A V2 bound up with the receiver tried to arm it and it did nothing.
Same thing like Birdmancrf " I haven't calibrated the esc's, they were supposedly done by rtf quads. I've checked out the YouTube video flip 1.5 for dummies, so I can come back to the esc's if necessary."

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The flip is a multiwii variant but I don't use them so I don't know how to test the receiver.

Whatever program you use to tune the board (Multiwii or Baseflight do) should have a receiver test where you can check to see that your controls are being received by the board the way you want them to be. This is so you can be sure your throttle channel isn't reversed and such.

Multiwii variants center at 1500. That is, when your sticks (AIL,ELE,RUD) are idle and centered, the receiver test should be on or VERY close to 1500. To adjust, ensure that your trims are centered and then change the center stick value to 1500.

It is common for Multiwiis to not arm due to not being properly centered. I too have been frustrated with a Naze and MW Pro. This is where I would start.

midnightdaylight

Basic First steps for the 1.5 flip.

Assuming your radio is Mode 2
1 Turn on transmitter with throttle all the way down.
2 With quad level and steady, plug in power
3 After blue light on the Flip stops flashing, move left stick (throttle) to the bottom right for about 3 secs or until blue light turns on.

If blue light in your flip dose not stay on you need to
(Assuming you have a PC)
1 Go to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ptxpwesovd7tx3/gYdZU3lXQh
2 Install WinGUI_2.3pre6(b3).zip or MultiWiiConf23.zip
3 Install USB _DRIVERS_Windows.zip
4 Power on Transmitter
5 Power Quad
6 Plug your flip into your PC.
7 launch WinGui or MultiWiiConfig, and connect to flip
8 insure that all receiver channels are moving the correct Flip channels, and in the correct directions (you may need to revers some of your transmitter channels)

If your flip channels are not moving to any of your sticks, you are likely having a transmitter/receiver issue.

Last edited:
I think that means that I need to get a BEC to power the receiver then. I don't have another 6v supply to power it up with. I'll look to make something but I don't have spare connectors as this is my first build.

Get, I don't mean to hijack your link. I'm very glad you started it. Maybe we both, and others in the future may get their answers here.

Thanks.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Power your receiver with 3v or 5v (depending on your hardware) off the flight controller. You are PPM so you run one signal wire, power and ground to the flight controller and you are good.

Test your receiver, like midnightdaylight suggested, with the MW gui. It will tell you where your problems are and help you fix them. :)

Gregulimy

Basic First steps for the 1.5 flip.

Assuming your radio is Mode 2
1 Turn on transmitter with throttle all the way down.
2 With quad level and steady, plug in power
3 After blue light on the Flip stops flashing, move left stick (throttle) to the bottom right for about 3 secs or until blue light turns on.

I tried that, the blue light wouldn't come on. Are those other steps for that or something else?
I think it may be radio issues :(

Gregulimy

I plugged the Flip into my PC and opened MultiWiiGUI and under "RC Control Settings" there's the little graph with Thr Pitc Roll Yaw, it looks like my Thr is wrong because that only goes up and down if i move the right stick. My Pitc is left and right on the left stick. My Yaw is left and right on the right stick and there is no Roll unless i flick the left switch on the top of my radio then the Roll is Up and Down on the left stick.

Gregulimy

After i found out things were the wrong way i experimented with the controls set it up Mode 2 and tried the steps again and still nothing :(

midnightdaylight

I plugged the Flip into my PC and opened MultiWiiGUI and under "RC Control Settings" there's the little graph with Thr Pitc Roll Yaw, it looks like my Thr is wrong because that only goes up and down if i move the right stick. My Pitc is left and right on the left stick. My Yaw is left and right on the right stick and there is no Roll unless i flick the left switch on the top of my radio then the Roll is Up and Down on the left stick.

Fear not, you are on the right track!
now, make sure your Transmitter is not in Heli mode, needs to be in Airplane mode

I'm a little confused by the responses you are getting from your sticks, but I am sure at this point you have some channels mixed around.

Could you post a video of the graph's moment as you move the sticks?

In the mean time here is what you should be seeing...
Left stick: Left/Right = Graph Yaw(rudder) Left/Right... Down/Up = Graph Throttle Left/Right
Right stick: Left/Right = Graph Roll(Ailerons) Left/Right Up/Down = Graph Pitch(Elevators) Left/Right

If you don't see all of, and only that happening, you need to check your Flip's inputs.
No switch should be interacting/interfering with the graph moments at this point.

Gregulimy

Sorry about the confusion, i did get it done and put into mode 2 but i now need to put my transmitter into airplane mode. I have ordered a cable for my transmitter from HobbyKing so now i'm just waiting on that!

found workaround for arming

Hey Greg,

I think I've found a workaround for the arming issue. Like you my biggest issue seemed to be gettting the motors armed, the blue light would come on to initialize but would not stay on to indicate armed.

Here's what I figure(hopefully others will chime in if it is problematic). There are 2 aux ports on the multiwii flip 1.5 flight controller. one is needed for the stability mode switch(accelerometers turned on). Crash discusses setting this up in the "flip 1.5 for dummies" video we've both watched on Youtube.

He mentions how the signal wire is the only one needed for all of the controls(rud, ailerons, yaw), except throttle which gets connected with 3 wires to get voltage to the receiver. A 5th channel provides the signal for the stabiity mode(or acro mode when off). I use one wire from aux 1 signal to channel 5 signal on the receiver. In MultiWii Config program he checks a box for the low value of the 'angle' line for aux 1. To enable the motors to arm I've done the same thing. Using another single strand I go from the aux 2 signal pin on the flip to channel 6 signal pin on the receiver. In Multiwii Config I check the box for the low value of the "arm" line for aux 2. On my transmitter I had to make sure that both aux channels were enabled, default is null, aux 1 for gear, and aux 2 I set to "throttle hold". Then because the switches are not defined on this transmitter, I had to flip switches while in Multiwii config to find which one changed the values and indeed turned the blue light on and off.

So perform the above in this order:
1. Set wires up between Flip 1.5 and receiver(at least 6 channels). Single wire lead from signal aux 1 to signal channel 5 for the stability mode. And single wire lead from signal aux 2 to signal channel 6, for arming.
2. Turn on transmitter. Enable aux 1 and aux 2 in settings on transmitter
3. Power quad, attach usb from flip to computer, open Multiwii config, select com port and start.
4. Check boxes for "angle" - low under aux 1; arm - low under aux 2.
5.flip aux 2 switch on transmitter to check for change in value on screen and/or blue light on flip fc. When active move throttle on tx to check for motor movement. Motors should rev. Any joystick movement should make desired change in motor rpm.
6. Write or save any changes to flip fc.
7. Stop communication, disconnect com port, then disconnect quad from usb. Should be good to go then.

Few things I don't like about this versus method that is supposed to be built into chip already.
1. Switch arms/disarms. Accidental movement of this switch in flight turns quad into falling rock! I don't know if signal could recover mid fall or not. The response on the ground seems fast enough but falling quad may be out of control. I'll have to check this out on/after maiden flight.
2. Loss of aux port/channel to something that should already be there. Could affect future use of lights, gimbal, or any of those bells and whistles which we think we might want/need.

good luck. Let me know if this helps.
Chris

Any feedback from midnight or cranial or others would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

SidneyKi

I had the same issue using the hobby King hk-t6a v2 mode 2 radio.
Not sure what fixed it but I have a thought,..

I think even with the throttle all the way down but the trim was set to the middle was causing this.
I manage to stumble over this and was able to arm the motor while I was in the radio software.

I had both the radio and the flip connected to my computer with both the radio software open and the flip config software open to test if the flip was responding in the right direction with the radio controll input. I adjusted the trim down to zero on the throttle and I was able to arm the motor. Also while the flip config was open you can see if it armed or not. Arm will light up and turn green in the flip config software.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 85