Electrohub Build

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

electrobuild-1-png_1405530841.jpg

Here is everything you get with the Electrohub Quadcopter Kit, but don't just stop at quads! Tri, Hex, Octo, it's all possible with the new hub.

If you're looking for just the power distribution plates, click here.

electrobuild-2-png_1405530858.jpg

RTF Quads offers an ElectroHub Electronics Kit that you can customize with everything you need.

electrobuild-8-png_1405530942.jpg

The flight control board is already preflashed so no need to fuss with expos. It's basiclly plug and play! The packaging also clearly labels everything including the proper motor rotations.

electrobuild-3-png_1405530870.jpg

Today we are going to be setting up the Spider Quad (aka Dead Cat) configuration. This is a good setup for mounting cameras and keeping the booms out of the shot.

electrobuild-12-png_1405530990.jpg

We recommend that if you are also building the Spider configuration to add the Camera/Battery Mount. This helps to balance out the quad much better. If you are building a basic X or Plus configuration, the mount is not necessary.

electrobuild-4-png_1405530886.jpg

electrobuild-5-png_1405530902.jpg

electrobuild-6-png_1405530917.jpg

electrobuild-7-png_1405530930.jpg

electrobuild-9-png_1405530953.jpg

electrobuild-10-png_1405530963.jpg

electrobuild-11-png_1405530976.jpg

electrobuild-13-png_1405531008.jpg

electrobuild-14-png_1405531022.jpg

electrobuild-15-png_1405531034.jpg

electrobuild-16-png_1405531050.jpg

electrobuild-17-png_1405531062.jpg

electrobuild-18-png_1405531075.jpg

electrobuild-19-png_1405531086.jpg

electrobuild-20-png_1405531104.jpg

electrobuild-21-png_1405531117.jpg

Whatever configuration you end up building, we hope you have as much fun with this kit as we do!

LINKS

What's your favorite type of multirotor to build?

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Does anyone have the new motor mounts yet? What size / thickness do they have?

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Looking awesome guys, as soon as the tricopter kit is out, I'm buying it!

One thing got me thinking though, about lights/FPV gear running on 12V, and if you want to use 4s batteries: You need to solder on an extra BEC in that case. It would have been nice to enable/disable the outer soldering pads of the electrohub using a jumper, for example. Then when running 3s, you could use the hub as it is now, but on 4s, you could disable the low-power soldering pads, or place a BEC in between, to have 12V on the outer low-power ring.

What do you 4s guys out there think?

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Does anyone know if there are plans for the hub yet? You won't be able to manufacture it yourself anyway, but it might be nice to have something to draw on.

One thing got me thinking though, about lights/FPV gear running on 12V, and if you want to use 4s batteries: You need to solder on an extra BEC in that case. It would have been nice to enable/disable the outer soldering pads of the electrohub using a jumper, for example. Then when running 3s, you could use the hub as it is now, but on 4s, you could disable the low-power soldering pads, or place a BEC in between, to have 12V on the outer low-power ring.

I'm not a 4s guy, but the problem with your idea is that there is no "outer ring". Each of the smaller outer pads is directly connected to the inner ones. So you'd need a jumper for each of them. Adding an outer conducting ring might be a problem since it's more common to drill holes there.

I wonder if most hardware will work with 15 V anyway.

BEEAH

Thank you guys for making this product and coupling that with a recommended electronics list on top of that. I ordered the Electrohub and parts yesterday and am excited to start work on my first multi. It was ONLY because of Flitetest and the excellent instructional videos that I finally learned enough and decided to build rather than jump in with an RTF.

gmn314

Which radio controller for this build?

This is awesome, I am going to buy this! The only thing I don't understand is which radio should I get? What do I have to look for in a radio control to ensure that it will work with the electronics kit? I watched these videos, and I went to the website that sells the electronics and there is no mention of what type of radio control that I need to get for this? I'd like to get something not too cheap, and not too expensive, somewhere in the middle.

Thanks!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
This is awesome, I am going to buy this! The only thing I don't understand is which radio should I get? What do I have to look for in a radio control to ensure that it will work with the electronics kit? I watched these videos, and I went to the website that sells the electronics and there is no mention of what type of radio control that I need to get for this? I'd like to get something not too cheap, and not too expensive, somewhere in the middle.

Thanks!

You might want to hop over into the RC Radios, Transmitters and Receivers section of the forum. But basically you need at least a 4 channel transmitter, perhaps a few more channels if you want to switch modes, lights, etc. later.

People are going to suggest a Taranis probably ;)

nUUb

Does anyone know if there are plans for the hub yet? You won't be able to manufacture it yourself anyway, but it might be nice to have something to draw on.
Maybe you can use Anycopter Hub Kit as template for holes.

kanekd

OK i jumped in and ordered the hub and electronics kit the nightn you posted the vidio. Got the hub today and the electronics are on the way (maybe saterday) . I have a Spektrum 6X - what settings will i have to setup in the Xmiter????

kanekd

Got it togather!!! found the setups.... 15 min.s trying to hover ..... need new props. The zoom factor is WOW!
Question What are inputs Aux1 and Aux2?????

PackratPilot

New Multirotor Pilot

Hello everyone. Can I use my Spektrum DX5e or do I need to upgrade to a 6i or better? Almost done with the build.
IMG_2337.JPG
THANK YOU FLITETEST and ReadyToFly for putting this package together. This is my first Multirotor and I can't wait to get it going.

ssteve

What flight controller are you using? Looks like a package for a flip board so I assume its the flip1.5 they sell in the package? I don't think the dx5 will be able to work with any of the multiwii controllers because you would need to adjust the values in the tx to read what the mwc is looking for. Never used the dx5 so I don't know if thats possible. You could grab a flysky 9x or turnigy 9x if the dx6 isnt in the budget... That or get a kk2 board which I personally think is a bad option since the flip board is a better board.

PackratPilot

That's what I was thinking. I am using the flip 1.5 that comes with the kit along with that receiver. I want to do it the correct way so as not to become a test pilot during the maiden voyage. Think I'll just wait and get the Spektrum 6i.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

ssteve

If you plan to grow into the hobby do a little reading on the taranis. Supports telemetry and a bunch of other cool features the current 6 doesn't at the moment.

serial0l0

"Say what again..."
Actually the new DX6 does support telemetry. The Taranis would be a great option though.

Packrat or kane, how much was the Electrohub electronics kit from Witespy? Also, how quickly did it ship?

I went ahead and ordered the flip 1.5 with baro, mag, and case along with T-Motor MS2212-13 980KV motors, the recommended F-20A Fire Red series SimonK-(RapidESC), lipo monitor, and a bunch of 9047 props. Hopefully these motors will be a drop-in replacement for the recommended motors.

BTW, Paul said he wouldn't have those (the t2212's) for another two weeks while the cheaper alternative would be in stock in a week or so. I think that and the props are what are keeping the electronics kits out of stock.

I'm just hoping that the 1-2 week lead time that he asks for on the main page of his site is shorter for non build orders! I'm not sure I can wait that long...

Last edited:

kanekd

Hi there serial0l0,
They got my order in 6 days, but maybe i was luckly. This is my first quad so i've broke 3 props already. Ordered more props and some other stuff over 7 days now ? Spending my time designing a flitetest type OV10 Bronco 53" twin with retracts, for FPV. Cutting foam now.

fishcranium

NOOB builds quad and it flies

hi folks

This is my third time posting….I have been lurking for a while. As I mentioned in my first post about 6 moths ago,I grew up flying U Control planes with my father. These are some of my fondest memories with him. Montana winters were long so we spent much of our free time cutting balsa wood, huffing glue and sniffing dope as we painted the wings. In the spring we would quickly reduce them to kindling.

I am now the father of twins and would like to share these experiences with my kids. I do not have a simulator and just dove into the dollar tree foam planes and had a blast. I can verify their durability and flyability at this point. I can also recommend not flying the nutball as your first plane.

last month I bought a Nano qx because it has been windy and rainy here and have been having a blast. These quadcopters are a blast. I decided to get in early on the electrohub and built one as cheaply as possible. What can i say…It flies great and is easier to control than the Nano.

The hardest part of these entire endeavors were figuring out how to program the Multiwii board from whitespy and more importantly how to program the Taranis radio ( I am of the opinion that MAC users are at a huge disadvantage).

I have ordered a mobius camera because my Gopro is far more expensive than the quad that will likely soon experience a close encounter with one of the numerous pine trees around here. thank you all for your help, the videos and the grassroots learning experience that you provide.

congrats to everyone who has built one of these things for the first time

I will provide video when feasible.

quad.JPG

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Programming the Taranis on a Mac is not that difficult. You can get the Companion as OSX app - at least that's what I'm using :)

Otherwise that's a nice looking quad :)

PackratPilot

Hey SerialOlO: Received my order from Witespy in 10 days and cost $146. Being new to multirotors, I just ordered the recommended equipment.

Last edited: