ElectroHub Octo-copter Power Distribution

Captain

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and need a we bit of advice.

I'm in process of building an Octo-copter with the Electrohub booms and plates, though I have no idea on how I'm going to go about soldering/connecting all the components together and what battery(s) I'm going to require.

Run down of the kit I'm going to be using:

Props:- Unsure on what prop size/ratio, Help appreciated!

Motor:- 8 x RTF Mini Motor X2204 2300KV

ESC:- 8 x F-30A-HV Fire Red series High voltage (2-6 Cells) OPTO SimonK-(RapidESC)

FC:- 1 x DJI Naza M V2

RX:- 1 x OrangeRx R620 Spektrum/JR DSM2 Compatible Full Range 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver w/Failsafe
1 x OrangeRx R100 Spektrum/JR DSM2 Compatible Satellite Receiver

TX:- 1 x OrangeRx T-SIX 2.4GHz DSM2 6CH Programmable Transmitter w/ 3-Position Switch

On inspection of the electro hub plates, I see there are only 8 large +/- soldering points, I'm not sure if I should get another set of plates and have 4 escs on each plate.. Also battery choice wise I'm wanting to get the longest possible flight time with this setup.

Majorly baffled here and any help would be great!

mmeyer

I couldnt answer your question about the esc's but im interested to know why youre using 2300kv motors on an octocopter.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
On an octo, you should probably be looking in the 800 to 1200Kv range. I also noticed you are using the opto ESC's with no BEC. You're going to need something to provide a 5-6v supply to the Rx/FC.

ssteve

Those motors won't work for that setup. I'd swap those and the esc's for something more common.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Those motors should be good on 5x3 to 6x4.5 on 3S batt's. Since you have 30A ESC's, you should be good on that end. I would think about using the 5" props so you have less amp draw on the motors and it should give you longer flight time and still give plenty of thrust. Also, with the 5" props, amp draw is only about 10A per motor so you could go with 20A ESC's if you wanted.
Battery choice is up to you but with the draw in mind you need a battery that will handle at least 80A and for safety, I'd recommend 100A. Burst current is acceptable as you probably won't be at full throttle for more than a few seconds at a time, unless racing is in your future.
I'm assuming with the setup you have listed, you are trying to stay in the micro or mini size range?

For hookup, just solder one ESC to each pair of the large pads and add the battery leads to any of the large pads along with one of the ESC's. Use the smaller pads for a BEC of your choice and any battery monitoring you might have. Do not use those pads to power your Rx or Flight Controller as they will have 12v (if you run on 3s) and will fry those as they are designed for 5-6v.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Why not? it's only a 5" disk? And those motors are good on 5" props...ok maybe micro or mini is not what I meant...
:D
But it could be used on a smaller octo. Yes?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Perhaps, but it's starting kinda big for (as you and others have noticed) hardware designed to be very small.

With the exception of needing a UBEC or non-opto ESC, the setup should fly, but the performance will probably lean to the worst of the optimized setups -- too heavy to be weightlessly nimble, too lightweight on power to have weight budget for cargo (camera/FPV gear).

Even with 8, weight budgets are tight with those motors, and the electrohub might be a bit of a luxury on that weight budget.

ssteve

Those booms, plus hardware are just too big for those motors. Add in the weight of 30a esc's and it's going to fly like a whale with wings.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
This chart shows an average of roughly 180-190g per motor at 50% throttle. Giving less than a kilo and a half or about 51oz of thrust at what should be hover... Yeah, electrohub and booms will make it a bit on the weighty size to start with for good agility ...or more than a bit...
SSX2204S2300KV3S-page0001_zpsceabc062.jpg

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I'm in process of building an Octo-copter with the Electrohub booms and plates, though I have no idea on how I'm going to go about soldering/connecting all the components together and what battery(s) I'm going to require.!

If you have 'no idea' about these things, does that mean you're new to multirotors? If so, I'd suggest starting with something more simple, like a quad. The good thing about the electrohub is it's versatility! When you're ready for it, just attach a couple of more booms, buy an extra set of motors and you have an octo!

Other people will have to chime in here about which motors would work on both a quad and octo (if you wish to re-use the motors that is ;) )